Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Bill Gee
Hello everyone -

I downloaded a GEDCOM from WikiTree a few days ago.  I have imported it into an empty database so I can examine the contents before adding it to my production data.  Two questions...

1) There are about 150 media items.  They all came in with the "Path" field set to a URL that points to WikiTree.  These are all valid URLs, but the Media tool does not recognize them as such when they are in the Path field.  How should I handle these items?  Is there an automated way to move them from the Path field to a Notes item associated with the Media record?

In my opinion - A URL is as valid a path as a local directory.  Indeed, pathnames are just special cases of URLs.  Gramps should be able to recognize and handle them.

2) The place names data is all over the map.  There are, for example, at least ten different variations on Bedford, Virginia, United States.  Should I merge these before importing the data or after?  My production database already has entries for most of these places, so I think there is no way to avoid doing merges after I bring in the data.  If I do the merge before importing, there will be less noise to deal with and therefore the final merges will be somewhat easier.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

--
Bill Gee

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

enno
Hello Bill,

> I downloaded a GEDCOM from WikiTree a few days ago.  I have imported it into an empty database so I can examine the contents before adding it to my production data.  Two questions...
>
> 1) There are about 150 media items.  They all came in with the "Path" field set to a URL that points to WikiTree.  These are all valid URLs, but the Media tool does not recognize them as such when they are in the Path field.  How should I handle these items?  Is there an automated way to move them from the Path field to a Notes item associated with the Media record?
You may try to edit the GEDCOM and replace PATH with NOTE.
> In my opinion - A URL is as valid a path as a local directory.  Indeed, pathnames are just special cases of URLs.  Gramps should be able to recognize and handle them.
Gramps could, in theory, but I don't think that the GEDCOM standard says
that it should. I'm actually quite sure about that, because it would
mean that paths to local files should start with file:, which is not
part of the standard at all.
> 2) The place names data is all over the map.  There are, for example, at least ten different variations on Bedford, Virginia, United States.  Should I merge these before importing the data or after?  My production database already has entries for most of these places, so I think there is no way to avoid doing merges after I bring in the data.  If I do the merge before importing, there will be less noise to deal with and therefore the final merges will be somewhat easier.  Thoughts?

I'd merge in the smallest database, which is probably the one created
from the WikiTree GEDCOM. That's because I like to work with small
steps, and avoid polluting my main database.

The last time I tried a WikiTree GEDCOM, I found that it's quite exotic,
and that's the PC version of saying that I think it's crap.

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Ron Johnson
On 6/3/19 1:50 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
>> I downloaded a GEDCOM from WikiTree a few days ago.  I have imported it
>> into an empty database so I can examine the contents before adding it to
>> my production data. Two questions...
>>
>> 1) There are about 150 media items.  They all came in with the "Path"
>> field set to a URL that points to WikiTree.  These are all valid URLs,
>> but the Media tool does not recognize them as such when they are in the
>> Path field.  How should I handle these items?  Is there an automated way
>> to move them from the Path field to a Notes item associated with the
>> Media record?
> You may try to edit the GEDCOM and replace PATH with NOTE.

And GEDCOM is plain text, so it'll be very easy.

On 6/3/19 7:07 AM, Bill Gee wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I downloaded a GEDCOM from WikiTree a few days ago.  I have imported it into an empty database so I can examine the contents before adding it to my production data.  Two questions...
>
> 1) There are about 150 media items.  They all came in with the "Path" field set to a URL that points to WikiTree.  These are all valid URLs, but the Media tool does not recognize them as such when they are in the Path field.  How should I handle these items?  Is there an automated way to move them from the Path field to a Notes item associated with the Media record?
>
> In my opinion - A URL is as valid a path as a local directory.  Indeed, pathnames are just special cases of URLs.  Gramps should be able to recognize and handle them.
>
> 2) The place names data is all over the map.  There are, for example, at least ten different variations on Bedford, Virginia, United States.

Merging duplicates in a small(er) database is easier than merging dupes in a
large(er) database.  Thus, I might merge them in the formerly-WikiTree tree,
and then import them into (a copy of) your main tree.  Finally, do the final
"few" Place merges.

>   Should I merge these before importing the data or after?  My production database already has entries for most of these places, so I think there is no way to avoid doing merges after I bring in the data.  If I do the merge before importing, there will be less noise to deal with and therefore the final merges will be somewhat easier.  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

If your media files on the internet are DIRECTLY accessible via the URLs in the Gedcom file, you may be able to use the "Download media files from the internet" tool.  This is an addon, so must be installed via Edit/Preferences etc.

The tool can download files where the URL points directly to an actual media file, not just a web page that contains the file.  If the WikiTree access needs a username/password to access the files, the problem is more difficult, but you might be able to modify the URL to contain those with the "Media Manager" tool, using it to replace substrings and add the username and password to the URLs as needed by the website.

Once downloaded, the media are on your system and the Gramps db points directly to the system copies.

Paul C.

On Monday, June 3, 2019 1:50:28 PM CDT Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> > I downloaded a GEDCOM from WikiTree a few days ago.  I have imported it into an empty database so I can examine the contents before adding it to my production data.  Two questions...
> >
> > 1) There are about 150 media items.  They all came in with the "Path" field set to a URL that points to WikiTree.  These are all valid URLs, but the Media tool does not recognize them as such when they are in the Path field.  How should I handle these items?  Is there an automated way to move them from the Path field to a Notes item associated with the Media record?
> You may try to edit the GEDCOM and replace PATH with NOTE.

Looking more closely at the GEDCOM file, it looks like replacing PATH with WWW will better suit my need.  I did that, then imported the file again.  The links now show up under the Internet tab.

In answer to Paul Culley's comment - I think the media URLs are not directly viewable.  One example:

https://www.WikiTree.com/wiki/Image:Cundiff-386-1.jpg

This opens to a web page with the image embedded on it.  Given this, the Media Import tool will not work.  There may also be problems with login.

Almost every person in the GEDCOM has a note, and sometimes several notes.  Mostly they are the citations from Wikitree.  I see a lot of URLs in those notes for sites like Find A Grave and Ancestry.com.  I cannot think of a way to extract those so they import as a WWW tag.  Much manual work required to find and extract them.

Hmmm.....  You have a point there.  I suppose some logic could be implemented such that a string that begins with a URL protocol (such as http:// or file://) is treated as a URL, and anything else is treated as a local path.  I looked around for some sort of GEDCOM specification.  Nothing I found gives much detail about the contents of a PATH line.

> > 2) The place names data is all over the map.  There are, for example, at least ten different variations on Bedford, Virginia, United States.  Should I merge these before importing the data or after?  My production database already has entries for most of these places, so I think there is no way to avoid doing merges after I bring in the data.  If I do the merge before importing, there will be less noise to deal with and therefore the final merges will be somewhat easier.  Thoughts?
>
> I'd merge in the smallest database, which is probably the one created
> from the WikiTree GEDCOM. That's because I like to work with small
> steps, and avoid polluting my main database.

That is pretty much what I was thinking, too.  In this case the GEDCOM is about 750 names and 250 places (many of which are duplicates).  My main database is ~4300 names and ~3500 places.

> The last time I tried a WikiTree GEDCOM, I found that it's quite exotic,
> and that's the PC version of saying that I think it's crap.

LOL!  You are probably too kind.  I have been looking more at the file and found some other problems with it.  They use a number of site-specific tags such as _MIDN (note the leading underscore) which is a middle name.  The NAME tags sometimes contain the middle name, but more often it is just GIVN and SURN appended together.  I am not sure how I can handle that.  There are also cases of DATE appearing in NOTE fields where it is recognized but not processed.

> Regards,
>
> Enno

I will look some more at the file, but it is beginning to look like re-entering the data directly will be about as quick and easy as trying to deal with all the duplicates.  Besides the place names I already mentioned, I figure about 1/3 of the persons are already in my master file.  I would either have to take them out of the GEDCOM or deal with them after importing.

Is it possible to run two instances of Gramps, each with a different database?  That would make copy/paste MUCH simpler.  Right now I run one instance on my workstation and another in a VirtualBox machine on a different host.  Copy/paste does not work between them.

Bill Gee

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

enno
Hello Bill,

> Almost every person in the GEDCOM has a note, and sometimes several
> notes. Mostly they are the citations from Wikitree. I see a lot of
> URLs in those notes for sites like Find A Grave and Ancestry.com. I
> cannot think of a way to extract those so they import as a WWW tag.
> Much manual work required to find and extract them.
If you leave them alone, Gramps will find the links anyway, because that
is a special feature in notes.
> LOL! You are probably too kind. I have been looking more at the file
> and found some other problems with it. They use a number of
> site-specific tags such as _MIDN (note the leading underscore) which
> is a middle name. The NAME tags sometimes contain the middle name, but
> more often it is just GIVN and SURN appended together. I am not sure
> how I can handle that. There are also cases of DATE appearing in NOTE
> fields where it is recognized but not processed.

I know, and I gave up on WikiTree a couple of years ago. I find it much
easier to use Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic to download data from the
FamilySearch tree instead, especially because the GEDCOMs created by
these programs are way better than WikiTree's, and the FamilySearch tree
is way larger too.

I once wrote a program that reads a GEDCOM, finds the _MIDN tags, and
attaches the name(s) found there after the GIVN tag, but I lost that,
and see no good reason to write that again, given that I don't plan to
return to WikiTree ever. That's also because they don't fully understand
that the world speaks more languages than English, and I refuse to
import English biographies for non English cousins.

On Windows, you can't run two copies of Gramps, but I don't know what
you run Gramps on. VirtualBox has a two way clipboard though, if that helps.

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Per Starbäck
What would be really cool would be a Gramps app for connecting to
Wikitree so you can work both on Wikitree and in Gramps with the same
persons.

Obviously there would be a field that stores the Wikitree ID for a
person. But also it would cache the contents and connections it last
saw for that person on Wikitree so that it later could compare them
and alert you about news from the edits of others. 'The death date for
XXX has been changed from "1702" to "13 March 1702" on Wikitree. Do
you want to import that date?'
Similarly it would be possible to export a change you make in Gramps
to Wikitree. It's hard just to think about how these connections
should work, and even more to implement them, but one cam dream!

Den tis 4 juni 2019 kl 21:09 skrev Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Bill,
>
> > Almost every person in the GEDCOM has a note, and sometimes several
> > notes. Mostly they are the citations from Wikitree. I see a lot of
> > URLs in those notes for sites like Find A Grave and Ancestry.com. I
> > cannot think of a way to extract those so they import as a WWW tag.
> > Much manual work required to find and extract them.
> If you leave them alone, Gramps will find the links anyway, because that
> is a special feature in notes.
> > LOL! You are probably too kind. I have been looking more at the file
> > and found some other problems with it. They use a number of
> > site-specific tags such as _MIDN (note the leading underscore) which
> > is a middle name. The NAME tags sometimes contain the middle name, but
> > more often it is just GIVN and SURN appended together. I am not sure
> > how I can handle that. There are also cases of DATE appearing in NOTE
> > fields where it is recognized but not processed.
>
> I know, and I gave up on WikiTree a couple of years ago. I find it much
> easier to use Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic to download data from the
> FamilySearch tree instead, especially because the GEDCOMs created by
> these programs are way better than WikiTree's, and the FamilySearch tree
> is way larger too.
>
> I once wrote a program that reads a GEDCOM, finds the _MIDN tags, and
> attaches the name(s) found there after the GIVN tag, but I lost that,
> and see no good reason to write that again, given that I don't plan to
> return to WikiTree ever. That's also because they don't fully understand
> that the world speaks more languages than English, and I refuse to
> import English biographies for non English cousins.
>
> On Windows, you can't run two copies of Gramps, but I don't know what
> you run Gramps on. VirtualBox has a two way clipboard though, if that helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Ron Johnson

There's an API, but it's read only.
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:API_Documentation

On 6/4/19 2:30 PM, Per Starbäck wrote:

> What would be really cool would be a Gramps app for connecting to
> Wikitree so you can work both on Wikitree and in Gramps with the same
> persons.
>
> Obviously there would be a field that stores the Wikitree ID for a
> person. But also it would cache the contents and connections it last
> saw for that person on Wikitree so that it later could compare them
> and alert you about news from the edits of others. 'The death date for
> XXX has been changed from "1702" to "13 March 1702" on Wikitree. Do
> you want to import that date?'
> Similarly it would be possible to export a change you make in Gramps
> to Wikitree. It's hard just to think about how these connections
> should work, and even more to implement them, but one cam dream!
>
> Den tis 4 juni 2019 kl 21:09 skrev Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>:
>> Hello Bill,
>>
>>> Almost every person in the GEDCOM has a note, and sometimes several
>>> notes. Mostly they are the citations from Wikitree. I see a lot of
>>> URLs in those notes for sites like Find A Grave and Ancestry.com. I
>>> cannot think of a way to extract those so they import as a WWW tag.
>>> Much manual work required to find and extract them.
>> If you leave them alone, Gramps will find the links anyway, because that
>> is a special feature in notes.
>>> LOL! You are probably too kind. I have been looking more at the file
>>> and found some other problems with it. They use a number of
>>> site-specific tags such as _MIDN (note the leading underscore) which
>>> is a middle name. The NAME tags sometimes contain the middle name, but
>>> more often it is just GIVN and SURN appended together. I am not sure
>>> how I can handle that. There are also cases of DATE appearing in NOTE
>>> fields where it is recognized but not processed.
>> I know, and I gave up on WikiTree a couple of years ago. I find it much
>> easier to use Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic to download data from the
>> FamilySearch tree instead, especially because the GEDCOMs created by
>> these programs are way better than WikiTree's, and the FamilySearch tree
>> is way larger too.
>>
>> I once wrote a program that reads a GEDCOM, finds the _MIDN tags, and
>> attaches the name(s) found there after the GIVN tag, but I lost that,
>> and see no good reason to write that again, given that I don't plan to
>> return to WikiTree ever. That's also because they don't fully understand
>> that the world speaks more languages than English, and I refuse to
>> import English biographies for non English cousins.
>>
>> On Windows, you can't run two copies of Gramps, but I don't know what
>> you run Gramps on. VirtualBox has a two way clipboard though, if that helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Enno

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Bill Gee
Hi Enno -

I have an account at Family Search, and I use it a lot.  Find A Grave and Family Search are my two primary online search tools.  I use geni.com as well, mainly when dealing with medieval English families.

WikiTree was an attempt to find out more about my father's side of the family.  Although they have over 2000 records with his surname, none of them are connected to him.  Their data seems to be fairly good except when exported to GEDCOM.

Find A Grave does not have living persons.  They don't have tree displays nor a formal way to cite sources.

Family Search has a LOT of noise.  I found a family just a few days ago where one man was married to the same woman 4 times, and among those four marriages were almost 30 children.  Some of the children were not born until after both parents died.  Sorting through the duplicates is a real pain.  Family Search does not allow for same-sex marriage.  I have one of those in my tree.

For medieval, royalty and Quaker genealogies, Family Tree is limited.  It does have good tools for linking sources.

Geni.com often has good data, but it is a hard site to navigate.

I run Linux (Fedora 30).  I found out today that Gramps can be launched multiple times using the command line to specify different databases.  I did not try any copy-paste operations, and I suspect some features like the clipboard could be a problem.

The clipboard issue with VirtualBox is that my workstation is NOT the VB host.  I have to access my VB guests using an RDP program.  So far I have not found one that will transfer the system clipboard.

Ancestral Quest and RootsMagic are not available for Linux.

--
Bill Gee

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:08:00 PM CDT Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> > Almost every person in the GEDCOM has a note, and sometimes several
> > notes. Mostly they are the citations from Wikitree. I see a lot of
> > URLs in those notes for sites like Find A Grave and Ancestry.com. I
> > cannot think of a way to extract those so they import as a WWW tag.
> > Much manual work required to find and extract them.
> If you leave them alone, Gramps will find the links anyway, because that
> is a special feature in notes.
> > LOL! You are probably too kind. I have been looking more at the file
> > and found some other problems with it. They use a number of
> > site-specific tags such as _MIDN (note the leading underscore) which
> > is a middle name. The NAME tags sometimes contain the middle name, but
> > more often it is just GIVN and SURN appended together. I am not sure
> > how I can handle that. There are also cases of DATE appearing in NOTE
> > fields where it is recognized but not processed.
>
> I know, and I gave up on WikiTree a couple of years ago. I find it much
> easier to use Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic to download data from the
> FamilySearch tree instead, especially because the GEDCOMs created by
> these programs are way better than WikiTree's, and the FamilySearch tree
> is way larger too.
>
> I once wrote a program that reads a GEDCOM, finds the _MIDN tags, and
> attaches the name(s) found there after the GIVN tag, but I lost that,
> and see no good reason to write that again, given that I don't plan to
> return to WikiTree ever. That's also because they don't fully understand
> that the world speaks more languages than English, and I refuse to
> import English biographies for non English cousins.
>
> On Windows, you can't run two copies of Gramps, but I don't know what
> you run Gramps on. VirtualBox has a two way clipboard though, if that helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Questions about importing a GED from Wiki

GRAMPS - User mailing list
There's an API for FamilySearch too. (Http://.www.FamilySearch.org/developers )

I agree that their Trees in both cloud-based Tree systems are often mangled... but manglings are more visible on FamilySearch than on WikiTree. That's because the tools for attaching cross-referenced sources are great on FamilySearch and practically non-existent on WikiTree.

They actually allow a source to be attached to multiple events. And the Attachment Review allows cross-linking that span family units VERY visible. Most importantly, their Repository resources are extensive.

So my forlorn hope is that there will eventually be a gramplet that polls FamilySearch to sync new sources. There would have to be a mechanism to persistently tag profiles & sources with a FamilySearch ID.

-Brian

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 15:30, Bill Gee
> [...]

> I know, and I gave up on WikiTree a couple of years ago. I find it much
> easier to use Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic to download data from the
> FamilySearch tree instead, especially because the GEDCOMs created by
> these programs are way better than WikiTree's, and the FamilySearch tree
> is way larger too.
>
> I once wrote a program that reads a GEDCOM, finds the _MIDN tags, and
> attaches the name(s) found there after the GIVN tag, but I lost that,
> and see no good reason to write that again, given that I don't plan to
> return to WikiTree ever. That's also because they don't fully understand
> that the world speaks more languages than English, and I refuse to
> import English biographies for non English cousins.
>
> On Windows, you can't run two copies of Gramps, but I don't know what
> you run Gramps on. VirtualBox has a two way clipboard though, if that helps.

Blood relation report?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Is there a way to quickly find only the blood connection between relatives in Gramps?

If the Statusbar says someone is a 4th cousin, I'd like to find our 3rd great-grandparents in common and the linkages between. Because blended families are so prevalent, it'd be nice if it showed the spouses at each level too.

The Status bar has that Preferences:Display option to show the degree of Consanguinity, if any exists. But that simply shows that they ARE blood relatives & and the degree of separation... but the lines of descent.

The Deep Connections gramplet is great for finding Affinity (by marriage) connections & some Consanguinity (ancestry in common) relations. But Affinity connections in a large tree can interfere with the Gramplet finding a more distant blood relationship. And it never displays the ancestor(s) in common, just the siblings.

I'd appreciate any insights.
-Brian

Re: Questions about importing a GED from WikiTree

Hi Bill,

> Family Search has a LOT of noise.  I found a family just a few days ago where one man was married to the same woman 4 times, and among those four marriages were almost 30 children.  Some of the children were not born until after both parents died.  Sorting through the duplicates is a real pain.  Family Search does not allow for same-sex marriage.  I have one of those in my tree.

Well, one of the good things of FamilySearch is that it's easy to weed
out those duplicates, way easier than on WikiTree, where you often find
people that think that they own some profiles. On FamilySearch, you may
find some read-only persons too, but most of those are not close
relatives, at least not for me.

Same-sex marriages are a problem indeed, but I remember that they are
already possible in the GedcomX standard, which is part of the
FamilySearch API. It's still quite odd, because the reluctance to add
them does hurt some LDS members, I assume.

> Geni.com often has good data, but it is a hard site to navigate.
True, and you need to pay for advanced access.
> I run Linux (Fedora 30).  I found out today that Gramps can be launched multiple times using the command line to specify different databases.  I did not try any copy-paste operations, and I suspect some features like the clipboard could be a problem.
I'm not sure how the Gramps clipboard works, so you'll have to check
yourself. I bet that you can start Gramps multiple times from the menu
too, if you're careful with auto-load.
> The clipboard issue with VirtualBox is that my workstation is NOT the VB host.  I have to access my VB guests using an RDP program.  So far I have not found one that will transfer the system clipboard.
Aha, ok, I get that. I often run Windows 10 inside VirtualBox on the
same host, which is a dual boot setup with Linux Mint and Windows 10. I
have enough license keys to do this, because I have a professional
subscription on MSDN, and write software in C# in the office.
> Ancestral Quest and RootsMagic are not available for Linux.

That's why I run that Windows 10 in Virtual Box. Ancestral Quests runs
quite well in Wine too.

Gramplets & *.gpr.py

Oldest1

As a follow up on my recent question about the Metadata viewer gramplet, I have installed a trial version of Gramps 5.0.1 AIO on a separate PC to avoid upsetting my working copy of my Gramps installation.

As a start to familiarize myself with gramplets etc, I created the two files recommended in the Gramplet instructions from: https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/gramplets

It appears that the *.gpr.py file for any gramplet is required and creating the two files for the HelloWorld gramplet in the specified place allowed me to load that gramplet, but ....

a) it seems I need a family tree loaded for the right-click to work and show the gramplet dialog

b) not all gramplets shown in  ../gramps/plugins/gramplets are listed in the dialog. I have 40+ entries in the above directory, but only two of the *.py files have the corresponding *.gpr.py - one of these being the newly installed HelloWorld and the other being gramplet.gpr.py.

c) Of the 40+ gramplets, only 16 are listed in the gramplet right-click menu.

Specifically, the metadataviewer gramplet is listed in the directory, but does not show in the list and hence I do not know how to install it.

Along the same vein, searching the list of gramplets and add-ons from the Preferences could use a search facility.

As I am just getting started looking at gramplets at a more detailed level, I very likely missed something (or a lot) and will be grateful for any help or corrections.

TIA

Re: Gramplets & *.gpr.py

Dave Scheipers
Hi  Jecxz112

Not all Gramplets or addons are accessed through the dashboard or
either the side- or bottombar. They get integrated more fully in the
views, etc.

To see a complete listing of what is loaded, go to Menu >> Help  >>
Plugin Manager (which is itself an addon).  Things listed as Built-In
come with the base code and are found in the program directories. The
Installed addons are the ones found in the user's directories and can
be downloaded (or not).

Dave

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a follow up on my recent question about the Metadata viewer gramplet, I have installed a trial version of Gramps 5.0.1 AIO on a separate PC to avoid upsetting my working copy of my Gramps installation.
>
> As a start to familiarize myself with gramplets etc, I created the two files recommended in the Gramplet instructions from: https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/gramplets
>
> It appears that the *.gpr.py file for any gramplet is required and creating the two files for the HelloWorld gramplet in the specified place allowed me to load that gramplet, but ....
>
> a) it seems I need a family tree loaded for the right-click to work and show the gramplet dialog
>
> b) not all gramplets shown in  ../gramps/plugins/gramplets are listed in the dialog. I have 40+ entries in the above directory, but only two of the *.py files have the corresponding *.gpr.py - one of these being the newly installed HelloWorld and the other being gramplet.gpr.py.
>
> c) Of the 40+ gramplets, only 16 are listed in the gramplet right-click menu.
>
> Specifically, the metadataviewer gramplet is listed in the directory, but does not show in the list and hence I do not know how to install it.
>
> Along the same vein, searching the list of gramplets and add-ons from the Preferences could use a search facility.
>
> As I am just getting started looking at gramplets at a more detailed level, I very likely missed something (or a lot) and will be grateful for any help or corrections.
>
> TIA

Re: Gramplets & *.gpr.py

Oldest1
On 2019-06-08 12:31 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi  Jecxz112

Not all Gramplets or addons are accessed through the dashboard or
either the side- or bottombar. They get integrated more fully in the
views, etc.

Thank you, Dave

I knew I had seen another listing of gramplets etc, but, for the life of me I could not find it; I've been away from Gramps too long.

Still lots to learn.

Arnold