Questions to picture layout in ODF exported reports

Questions to picture layout in ODF exported reports

Matthias Basler
Hi gramps developers.

As some of you already know I am currently working on two own reports and hope to be finished very soon. There's a bit of visual improvements and cleanup left.

In a text report exported to ODF I have (among others) a table and in each cell one image. My questions are:

1. Below each image is an empty line of text making the table row higher than required and in the worst case leading to an empty page if that row didn't fit on the previous page. How to get rid of this empty line?
I already tried removing some "\n" in ODFDoc.py but with no success. Do I maybe need a different picture style?
(Note: There is no caption for these images.)

2. So far in order to get any serious layout I have always resorted to table cells for placing two or more images next to each other. This is not ideal because afaik I have to specify the width (in %) of each cell beforehand in a Table Style, creating unnecessary whitespace if the images have portrait orientation.
It would be more intuitive to just add the images with a fixed width from, lets say, left to right with maybe a space character between them.
With the provided image styles ("left" ,"right", "single") I havn't been able to get such layout although I am sure ODF format supports this by just having the images inserted "As character" in one line of text.
Any suggestion how to proceed?

Matthias Basler

Re: Questions to picture layout in ODF exported reports

Adam Stein-3
On Sun, 2013-12-15 at 11:33 +0100, Matthias Basler wrote:

> Hi gramps developers.
>
> As some of you already know I am currently working on two own reports
> and hope to be finished very soon. There's a bit of visual
> improvements and cleanup left.
>
> In a text report exported to ODF I have (among others) a table and in
> each cell one image. My questions are:
>
> 1. Below each image is an empty line of text making the table row
> higher than required and in the worst case leading to an empty page if
> that row didn't fit on the previous page. How to get rid of this empty
> line?
> I already tried removing some "\n" in ODFDoc.py but with no success.
> Do I maybe need a different picture style?
> (Note: There is no caption for these images.)

In ODFDoc.py in add_media_object(), the ODF code to add a caption should
only be added if the 'alt' parameter to add_media_object is NOT an empty
string.  Did you remove the code to add the caption completely as a
quick way to see if that had an effect (and if so, then alt is getting
set to a non-0 length string)?

If the extra newline is coming from somewhere else, one way to see
what's going on is to play with the document in LibreOffice (or anything
else that reads/writes ODF), remove the extra line, then write the file
out and see the difference between the ODF files.  Hopefully, that would
lead you back to the code in Gramps that's spitting out the extra line.

> 2. So far in order to get any serious layout I have always resorted to
> table cells for placing two or more images next to each other. This is
> not ideal because afaik I have to specify the width (in %) of each
> cell beforehand in a Table Style, creating unnecessary whitespace if
> the images have portrait orientation.
> It would be more intuitive to just add the images with a fixed width
> from, lets say, left to right with maybe a space character between
> them.
> With the provided image styles ("left" ,"right", "single") I havn't
> been able to get such layout although I am sure ODF format supports
> this by just having the images inserted "As character" in one line of
> text.
> Any suggestion how to proceed?

The easiest way to figure out what ODF text I needed to output when I
modified ODFDoc.py was to actually work with a document that had what I
wanted, then look into the ODF file itself.  So, set up a document with
the images side-by-side and then take a look at the ODF file to see how
it's done.  Once you know that, then you can add a style to accommodate
that if necessary or see if ODFDoc.py already does that.

> Matthias Basler

Adam ([hidden email])

Re: Questions to picture layout in ODF exported reports

Matthias Basler
Hi gramps developers, hi Adam.

Thanks for your ideas. Yes, ODF "reverse engineering" is certainly a way to try.

A question concerning this mailing list:
Two days ago I subscribed to this mailing list in digest mode (because I dislike getting several separate mails). Hoever no mails of this week have so far arrived, although, for example, my question has been answered. Doesn't digest mode work or is there some specific setting I have to enable to make it work? Is this working for anybody else?

Matthias Basler

Re: Questions to picture layout in ODF exported reports

Nick Hall-6
On 17/12/13 21:08, Matthias Basler wrote:
> A question concerning this mailing list:
> Two days ago I subscribed to this mailing list in digest mode (because
> I dislike getting several separate mails). Hoever no mails of this
> week have so far arrived, although, for example, my question has been
> answered. Doesn't digest mode work or is there some specific setting I
> have to enable to make it work? Is this working for anybody else?

I have checked your settings, and you should be receiving a daily digest.

Let me know if this continues to be a problem.