Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee
Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does not affect
how the application works - it's just annoying.

This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose just one:
Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below the list of
places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details, Enclosed By,
Encloses etc.

When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes a prompt
"Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate is on the
order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list pane, it
stops flashing.

This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also happens
when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane is
"Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in several
other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.

Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a couple of
percent up to about 40%.

Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?

From the Help-About screen:

GRAMPS: 5.0.0
Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...
BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.24.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: Linux

--
Bill Gee

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Ron Johnson
What happened just before this (upgraded gramps, upgraded Fedora, etc)?

On 11/29/2018 10:40 AM, Bill Gee wrote:

> Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does not affect
> how the application works - it's just annoying.
>
> This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose just one:
> Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below the list of
> places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details, Enclosed By,
> Encloses etc.
>
> When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes a prompt
> "Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate is on the
> order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list pane, it
> stops flashing.
>
> This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also happens
> when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane is
> "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in several
> other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
>
> Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
> Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a couple of
> percent up to about 40%.
>
> Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?
>
>  From the Help-About screen:
>
> GRAMPS: 5.0.0
> Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...
> BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)
> sqlite: 3.24.0 (2.6.0)
> LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> OS: Linux

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Tom Hughes
He appears to be using Fedora 29, which is what I am using, and I am
not able to reproduce this at all.

I wonder if he's using a different desktop, rather than the Gnome
default?

Tom

On 29/11/2018 17:14, Paul Culley wrote:

> This sounds like you are pausing the mouse cursor over an area that
> generates a 'tooltip'.  The tooltip generally stays up steady while the
> cursor is not moving, but goes out and comes back if you move the cursor
> over the tooltip text.  It should never 'flash'.  This is a function of
> the Gtk libraries that Gramps uses to interact with the GUI.  Judging by
> the Python version, you are using some sort of bleeding edge version of
> Linux.  As the Gtk version was not shown (You can see it if you install
> the Prerequisites Checker Gramplet in your Dashboard), I cannot tell if
> this is something due to an early release version of Gtk or some other
> issue.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does
>     not affect
>     how the application works - it's just annoying.
>
>     This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose
>     just one:
>     Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below
>     the list of
>     places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details,
>     Enclosed By,
>     Encloses etc.
>
>     When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes
>     a prompt
>     "Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate
>     is on the
>     order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list
>     pane, it
>     stops flashing.
>
>     This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing
>     also happens
>     when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that
>     pane is
>     "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens
>     in several
>     other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
>
>     Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
>     Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a
>     couple of
>     percent up to about 40%.
>
>     Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?
>
>      From the Help-About screen:
>
>     GRAMPS: 5.0.0
>     Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...
>     BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)
>     sqlite: 3.24.0 (2.6.0)
>     LANG: en_US.UTF-8
>     OS: Linux
>

>     --
>     Bill Gee

Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Hi
This does not happen with me on either Windows 10 or UBuntu Mate with
ver 5.0of Gramps
In the familes area when there are events or children say the double
click message comes on solid and stays until you move the mouse out of
the box
Same applies in Places

Is it possible your mouse is not stable, mechanically, electronically or
driver, used to have problems when batteries in mouse exhausted

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Hi
This does not happen with me on either Windows 10 or UBuntu Mate with
ver 5.0
In the familes area when there are events or children say the double
click message comes on solid and stays until you move the mouse out os

On 29/11/2018 16:40, Bill Gee wrote:

> Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does not affect
> how the application works - it's just annoying.
>
> This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose just one:
> Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below the list of
> places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details, Enclosed By,
> Encloses etc.
>
> When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes a prompt
> "Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate is on the
> order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list pane, it
> stops flashing.
>
> This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also happens
> when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane is
> "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in several
> other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
>
> Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
> Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a couple of
> percent up to about 40%.
>
> Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?
>
>>From the Help-About screen:
>
> GRAMPS: 5.0.0
> Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...
> BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)
> sqlite: 3.24.0 (2.6.0)
> LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> OS: Linux

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

On 29/11/2018 16:40, Bill Gee wrote:

> Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does not affect
> how the application works - it's just annoying.
>
> This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose just one:
> Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below the list of
> places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details, Enclosed By,
> Encloses etc.
>
> When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes a prompt
> "Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate is on the
> order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list pane, it
> stops flashing.
>
> This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also happens
> when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane is
> "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in several
> other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
>
> Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
> Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a couple of
> percent up to about 40%.
>
> Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?

These are tooltips.  It is probably a Gtk issue.

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee
Hi Paul and everyone else ...

I think this may be affected by how Gramps and GTK interact.  I noticed a few
minutes ago that hovering over one of the left-side list selectors (such as
People, Places, Sources etc.) produces a tooltip which does NOT flash.  If I
hover over a populated something like the Notes tab, the tooltip appears and
does not flash.  It does flash when I hover over an item in the Events list
for a person.

Answering a few questions others have posed:

I am using KDE desktop.

I don't remember when the problem started.  It may have been when I upgraded
from Fedora 28 to 29 a couple of weeks ago.  That change brought an upgrade
from Gramps 4.8 to 5.0, among many others.

Other GTK applications - Firefox, LibreOffice, GThumb, Dolphin - do NOT show
flashing tooltips.  However, GnoFract4d does have flashing tooltips.

My mouse is wired - no batteries.  It is a Logitech Marble trackball, so it is
absolutely still when I am not touching it.  Indeed, the problem goes away
when I move the mouse!  Maybe I need an unstable mouse???  :-)

I have reproduced this on a second computer.  It is a laptop, also running
Fedora 29 and KDE, and configured as identically to my main desktop as I can
make it.  Perhaps the most important difference is desktop=nVidia and
laptop=Intel display driver.

I did a bit of searching around on GTK and tooltip configuration.  One
suggestion I found was to put a few lines in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.  This
change is supposed to turn tooltips completely off.  And, in fact, it did turn
them off in GThumb.

tooltip {
        opacity: 0;
}

I edited the file, restarted Gramps, no change.

My system has both GTK 2.0 and 3.2 installed.  The method of configuring GTK
has changed among 2.x, 3.0/3.1 and 3.2.

Here is the output from Prerequisites Checker Gramplet:
================

Diagnostic Gramplet to help evaluate if Gramps has all prerequisites
installed.

You have Gramps 5.0.0. Congratulations you have the current version.

Requirements
The following packages MUST be installed (Requires the minimum version or
greater.):
* Python 3.7.1 (Success version 3.2.0 or greater installed.)
* GTK+ 3.24.1 (Success version 3.10.0 or greater installed.)
* PyGObject 3.30.2 (Success version 3.12.0 or greater installed.)
* Cairo 1.16.0 (Success version 1.13.1 or greater installed.)
* Pycairo 1.17.1 (Success version 1.13.3 or greater installed.)
* Pango 1.42.3 (Success version 1.29.3 or greater installed.)
* PangoCairo 1.0
* Berkeley Database library (bsddb3: 5.3.28) (Python-bsddb3 : 6.2.6)
* SQLite Database library (sqlite3: 3.24.0) (Python-sqlite3: 2.6.0)
* xdg-utils (Manual check see instructions link)
* librsvg2 (Manual check see instructions link)
* language-pack-gnome-xx (Manual check see instructions link) for your
Language <show locale here TBD>

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
The following packages are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to be installed:
* osmgpsmap 1.0 (Success version 1.0 or greater installed.)
* Graphviz 2.40
* PyICU 2.0.3(ICU 62.1)
* Ghostscript 9.25

Optional
The following packages are optional:
* GtkSpell 3.0 (Success version 3.0 or greater installed.)(enchant : Not
found)
* rcs installed TBD (Success version 5.9.4 or greater installed. If not on
Microsoft Windows)
* (PILLOW 5.3.0)(PIL 1.1.7)
* GExiv2 : 0.10(Exiv2 library : TBD? )
* geocodeglib 1.0 (Success version 1.0 or greater installed.)
* ttf-freefont (Manual check see instructions link)

Development & Translation Requirements
The following packages should be installed if you intend to translate or do
any development(addons etc):
* gettext (msgfmt): ) 0.19.8.1
* intltool-update: ) 0.51.0
* Sphinx is a tool that builds the Gramps development documentation and man
pages  TBD

Optional packages required by Third-party Addons
Prerequistes required for the following Third-party Addons to work:
01. Addon:Family Sheet : (PILLOW 5.3.0)(PIL 1.1.7)
02. Addon:Graph View : (GooCanvas:Not installed)(PyGoocanvas: TBD?)(Graphviz
2.40)
03. Addon:PedigreeChart : (NumPy : 1.15.1 )
04. Addon:Network Chart : (networkx 1.11)(Graphviz 2.40)
  and one of either: (pydotplus: 2.2.0) or (pygraphviz: 1.3rc2)
05. Addon:GenealogyTree : (lualatex :Installed(Linux/Mac))(PILLOW 5.3.0)(PIL
1.1.7)
06. Addon:HTMLView : (Webkit: Not installed )
07. Addon:GoogleMapKML : (Google Earth on Desktop : Not found.)
08. Addon:Webconnect Pack : (libwebconnect : Not found)(Requires the gramps
addon listed under 'Plugin lib')
09. Addon:TMG Importer :  (DBF Not found.)(Requires version 0.96.8 or greater
installed.)
10. Addon:PostgreSQL Database library Support : (PostgreSQL Not found.)
(psycopg2 : Not found.)
11. Addon:Edit Image Exif Metadata : (PILLOW 5.3.0)(PIL 1.1.7) TODO ( pyexiv2
( 0.2.0 ) & exiv2 )
12. Addon:Photo Tagging Gramplet : (NumPy: 1.15.1)(OpenCV facedetection: Not
found)
13. Addon:Lxml Gramplet :  (lxml: 4.2.3.0)(libxml: 2.9.8)(libxslt: 1.1.32)
14. Addon:MongoDB : * Requires: MongoDB TBD / pymongo TBD

Diagnostic checks
Check for potential issues.

Environment settings:
* Operating System: linux
 kernel: 4.19.4-300.fc29.x86_64

Locale Settings:
* LANG : en_US.UTF-8
* LANGUAGE :en
* LC_MESSAGES :not set
* LC_TIME :not set

Gramps Environment variables:
* GRAMPSI18N : not set
* GRAMPSHOME : not set
* GRAMPSDIR : not set
* GRAMPS_RESOURCES : /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages

--
Bill Gee

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:14:09 AM CST Paul Culley wrote:

> This sounds like you are pausing the mouse cursor over an area that
> generates a 'tooltip'.  The tooltip generally stays up steady while the
> cursor is not moving, but goes out and comes back if you move the cursor
> over the tooltip text.  It should never 'flash'.  This is a function of the
> Gtk libraries that Gramps uses to interact with the GUI.  Judging by the
> Python version, you are using some sort of bleeding edge version of Linux.
> As the Gtk version was not shown (You can see it if you install the
> Prerequisites Checker Gramplet in your Dashboard), I cannot tell if this is
> something due to an early release version of Gtk or some other issue.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Lately I have noticed something very annoying in Gramps.  It does not
> > affect
> > how the application works - it's just annoying.
> >
> > This happens in many places throughout the application.  To choose just
> > one:
> > Open the list of places.  Hover the mouse in the bottom pane below the
> > list of
> > places.  This is the area which has several tabs such as Details, Enclosed
> > By,
> > Encloses etc.
> >
> > When the mouse is hovering anywhere in this pane, it rapidly flashes a
> > prompt
> > "Double-click on a row to edit the selected place".  The flash rate is on
> > the
> > order of 5 to 8 times per second.  If I move the mouse to the list pane,
> > it
> > stops flashing.
> >
> > This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also
> > happens
> > when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane is
> > "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in
> > several
> > other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
> >
> > Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
> > Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a couple
> > of
> > percent up to about 40%.
> >
> > Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?
> >
> > From the Help-About screen:
> >
> > GRAMPS: 5.0.0
> > Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...
> > BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)
> > sqlite: 3.24.0 (2.6.0)
> > LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> > OS: Linux
> >

> > --
> > Bill Gee

Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee
Yet another thing I just noticed - The flashing tooltips seem to happen only
when hovering on Gramplets.  They behave properly on everything else.

--
Bill Gee

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:25:51 PM CST Bill Gee wrote:

> [...]
> > > stops flashing.
> > >
> > > This also happens in the Family list.  In that list, the flashing also
> > > happens
> > > when the mouse is hovering in the Filter pane.  The prompt in that pane
> > > is
> > > "Double-click on a row to produce a quick report ...".  It happens in
> > > several
> > > other places, too, but these should be enough to reproduce and diagnose.
> > >
> > > Moving the mouse makes it stop flashing even if I do not exit the pane.
> > > Looking at htop, I see processor usage by the X server goes from a
> > > couple
> > > of
> > > percent up to about 40%.
> > >
> > > Is this a Gramps issue?  Or something in Linux?
> > >
> > > From the Help-About screen:
> > >
> > > GRAMPS: 5.0.0
> > > Python: 3.7.1 (default, Nov 23 2018, 10:01:49) [...

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Nick Hall
On 29/11/2018 20:03, Bill Gee wrote:
> Yet another thing I just noticed - The flashing tooltips seem to happen only
> when hovering on Gramplets.  They behave properly on everything else.

That is a very important piece of information.  It is probably related
to the way that gramplets update.

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee
And, in fact - It is not ALL Gramplets!  I suspect the reason is some of these
do not have Tooltips.

Details - No flash
Notes - No flash
References - No flash
Filter - No flash
Gallery - No flash
Encloses - No flash

Events - Flash
Children - Flash
Citations - Flash
Attributes - Flash
Deep Connections - Flash
Top Surnames - Flash
Statistics - Flash
Prerequisites Checker - Flash
Enclosed By - Flash
To-Do - Flash

--
Bill Gee

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:50:42 PM CST Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/11/2018 20:03, Bill Gee wrote:
> > Yet another thing I just noticed - The flashing tooltips seem to happen
> > only when hovering on Gramplets.  They behave properly on everything
> > else.
> That is a very important piece of information.  It is probably related
> to the way that gramplets update.
>
> Nick.

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Tony Gordon
On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 06:28 -0600, Bill Gee wrote:
And, in fact - It is not ALL Gramplets!  I suspect the reason is some of these
do not have Tooltips.

Details - No flash
Notes - No flash
References - No flash
Filter - No flash
Gallery - No flash
Encloses - No flash

Events - Flash
Children - Flash
Citations - Flash
Attributes - Flash
Deep Connections - Flash
Top Surnames - Flash
Statistics - Flash
Prerequisites Checker - Flash
Enclosed By - Flash
To-Do - Flash

I am running Gramps 5.0 on Fedora 29 with Gnome and the same Python, BSDDB, sqlite and kernel as originally posted, and I am not noticing this behaviour. Everything appears to be very stable. I am using X though, not the default Wayland.

Tony

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee

Hi Tony -

I am also using X. The proprietary nVidia display driver that I use is not compatible with Wayland. Environment variable XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11 ...

===========

 bgee   set | grep -i xdg
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg:/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/xdg
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/bgee/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/:/usr/local/share/:/usr/s
hare/
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=kf5-
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/500
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=plasma
XDG_SESSION_ID=2
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_VTNR=2
   local -a dirs=(${BASH_COMPLETION_USER_DIR:-${
XDG_DATA_HOME:-$HOME/.local/share}/bash-completion}/completions);
   for dir in ${
XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share:/usr/share};
==================

--

Bill Gee

On Friday, November 30, 2018 2:59:13 PM CST Tony Gordon wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 06:28 -0600, Bill Gee wrote:

> > And, in fact - It is not ALL Gramplets! I suspect the reason is some of

> > these do not have Tooltips.

> > Details - No flash

> > Notes - No flash

> > References - No flash

> > Filter - No flash

> > Gallery - No flash

> > Encloses - No flash

> > Events - Flash

> > Children - Flash

> > Citations - Flash

> > Attributes - Flash

> > Deep Connections - Flash

> > Top Surnames - Flash

> > Statistics - Flash

> > Prerequisites Checker - Flash

> > Enclosed By - Flash

> > To-Do - Flash

> I am running Gramps 5.0 on Fedora 29 with Gnome and the same Python,

> BSDDB, sqlite and kernel as originally posted, and I am not noticing

> this behaviour. Everything appears to be very stable. I am using X

> though, not the default Wayland.

> Tony

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Bill Gee
Hello everyone -

I think I finally found a work-around for this problem.  To restate - In some Gramplets and a few other places, when the mouse is hovered the tooltip flickers very rapidly.  As it turns out, there are applications other than Gramps which show similar behavior.  The problem is in GTK - not in Gramps.

The solution is at this link:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1371

I added "gtk-cursor-theme-size=16" to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and then restarted Gramps.  Problem gone - the tooltips no longer flicker when hovering the mouse.  I reproduced this behavior on two different computers with two different display adapters.

--
Bill Gee

On Friday, November 30, 2018 6:28:19 AM CST Bill Gee wrote:

> And, in fact - It is not ALL Gramplets!  I suspect the reason is some of these
> do not have Tooltips.
>
> Details - No flash
> Notes - No flash
> References - No flash
> Filter - No flash
> Gallery - No flash
> Encloses - No flash
>
> Events - Flash
> Children - Flash
> Citations - Flash
> Attributes - Flash
> Deep Connections - Flash
> Top Surnames - Flash
> Statistics - Flash
> Prerequisites Checker - Flash
> Enclosed By - Flash
> To-Do - Flash
>
> > On 29/11/2018 20:03, Bill Gee wrote:
> > > Yet another thing I just noticed - The flashing tooltips seem to happen
> > > only when hovering on Gramplets.  They behave properly on everything
> > > else.
> > That is a very important piece of information.  It is probably related
> > to the way that gramplets update.
> >
> > Nick.

Re: Rapidly flashing notice

Nick Hall
On 31/12/2018 14:12, Bill Gee wrote:
> The solution is at this link:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1371
>
> I added "gtk-cursor-theme-size=16" to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and then restarted Gramps.  Problem gone - the tooltips no longer flicker when hovering the mouse.  I reproduced this behavior on two different computers with two different display adapters.

Thanks for posting the solution.  I'm sure that others will find this
useful.