Re: 2.1.95-1 Questions (filters)

Gerald Britton-2
The new custom filters are editable from the "Edit" menu.  However,
I've noticed some things I'm not crazy about:

1. Since the filters are separate by object (person, place, source,
repository, event, media), you have to carefully filter all objects
individually to get the same effect as 2.0.x filters (especially wrt
events).

2. The filters do not seem to be applied to all operations.  e.g. in
2.0.x I would set up a custom filter to limit the view to a set of
people, then export that to a gedcom.  In 2.1.195 I cannot do that.
The gedcom export no longer includes the option to apply a customer
filter, nor does it limit its output to the current filtered view.

On 10/6/06, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Getting my database moved into this release has raised some questions.
>
> Is there a way to save the Scratchpad between sessions?  I usually
> load it up with the common elements for the editing project I'm
> working on so if I can't do all the edits in one session, I have to
> rebuild the scratchpad when I get back to it.
>
> Where do we put nicknames now?  I notice that if I put them in the
> Call Name field, some reports default to the Call Name and some don't.
>  If I remember the scope of the Call Name field was to accomodate farm
> names, etc.  So, is it appropriate to put nicknames in this field?
>
> Up to 2.0-11, I used the Custom Filter feature to build reports and
> searches like I wanted.  I can't find it in 2.1.95-1.  Is it still
> there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Re: 2.1.95-1 Questions (filters)

Alex Roitman
Greald,

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 12:48 -0400, Gerald Britton wrote:
> The new custom filters are editable from the "Edit" menu.  However,
> I've noticed some things I'm not crazy about:
>
> 1. Since the filters are separate by object (person, place, source,
> repository, event, media), you have to carefully filter all objects
> individually to get the same effect as 2.0.x filters (especially wrt
> events).

I am not sure what this means. Could you clarify what kind of
filtering was working in 2.0.x and is not available at least as
easily in 2.1.95?

> 2. The filters do not seem to be applied to all operations.  e.g. in
> 2.0.x I would set up a custom filter to limit the view to a set of
> people, then export that to a gedcom.

That would not do any filtering. The filter in the People view would
only limit the view, with no effect on export. You needed to specify
the filter in the GEDCOM export dialog to use filter with export.

>   In 2.1.195 I cannot do that.
> The gedcom export no longer includes the option to apply a customer
> filter, nor does it limit its output to the current filtered view.

I will see about adding the custom filters to the GEDCOM export.
Thanks for filing the bug report on that!

Alex