Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Paul Franklin-5
On 1/16/15, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been almost three months since 4.1.1 was released.
>
> I'd like to suggest a firm date for the release of 4.1.2 be
> announced, with corresponding deadlines for code changes
> (i.e. bugs fixed) and a string freeze (in the hope it might
> influence some pending translation to be updated).  I
> would suggest relatively-soon dates (a week? two?).
>
> I'd especially like to suggest a firm date for the release
> of 4.2.0 be announced, and corresponding dates for all
> code changes and a string freeze.  I have seen a date
> of mid-June suggested.  If that's fine, let's formalize it.
>
> I would especially like to urge the creation of a gramps42
> branch relatively early in the process, as that would allow
> far-off development work to be done in master as well as
> (I hope) giving some motivation to developers to get their
> new almost-ready feature working in gramps42, as well
> as a place where our translations could be migrated
> to, hopefully to motivate the translators who only do an
> update once a year to start working on their language.
>
> Thanks.

 It's been almost four months since 4.1.1 was released.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Nick Hall
On 15/02/15 19:41, Paul Franklin wrote:

> On 1/16/15, Paul Franklin<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> >It's been almost three months since 4.1.1 was released.
>> >
>> >I'd like to suggest a firm date for the release of 4.1.2 be
>> >announced, with corresponding deadlines for code changes
>> >(i.e. bugs fixed) and a string freeze (in the hope it might
>> >influence some pending translation to be updated).  I
>> >would suggest relatively-soon dates (a week? two?).
>> >
>> >I'd especially like to suggest a firm date for the release
>> >of 4.2.0 be announced, and corresponding dates for all
>> >code changes and a string freeze.  I have seen a date
>> >of mid-June suggested.  If that's fine, let's formalize it.
>> >
>> >I would especially like to urge the creation of a gramps42
>> >branch relatively early in the process, as that would allow
>> >far-off development work to be done in master as well as
>> >(I hope) giving some motivation to developers to get their
>> >new almost-ready feature working in gramps42, as well
>> >as a place where our translations could be migrated
>> >to, hopefully to motivate the translators who only do an
>> >update once a year to start working on their language.
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> >
>   It's been almost four months since 4.1.1 was released.

I think that there are enough fixes to justify releasing v4.1.2.

What date is convenient for everyone?

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 16, 2015, at 2:29 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  It's been almost four months since 4.1.1 was released.
>
> I think that there are enough fixes to justify releasing v4.1.2.
>
> What date is convenient for everyone?

I'll be in Japan for pretty much all of March, so either before the end of February or in April.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Nick Hall
On 17/02/15 00:28, John Ralls wrote:
>> I think that there are enough fixes to justify releasing v4.1.2.
>> >
>> >What date is convenient for everyone?
> I'll be in Japan for pretty much all of March, so either before the end of February or in April.

OK.  How about a release date of 28th Feb with a string freeze on 21st Feb?

That would give the translators a week to update the translations.

Is that also convenient for Jérôme and Josip?

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

jerome
A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?

No problem for me.

I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.

Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
windows set is also available.

Jérôme.

En date de : Mar 17.2.15, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] 4.1.2 and 4.2.0
 À: "John Ralls" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: [hidden email]
 Date: Mardi 17 février 2015, 22h33

 On 17/02/15 00:28, John
 Ralls wrote:
 >> I think that there are
 enough fixes to justify releasing v4.1.2.

 >> >What
 date is convenient for everyone?

 I'll be in Japan for pretty much all of March, so either
 before the end of February or in April.

 OK.  How
 about a release date of 28th Feb with a string freeze on
 21st Feb?

 That would give
 the translators a week to update the translations.

 Is that also convenient for
 Jérôme and Josip?

 Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free
 Enterprise-Grade BIRT Server
 from Actuate!
 Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
 Dashboards
 with Interactivity, Sharing,
 Native Excel Exports, App Integration & more
 Get technology previously reserved for
 billion-dollar corporations, FREE

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:46 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?
>
> No problem for me.
>
> I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.
>
> Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
> I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
> windows set is also available.

There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one or declare it dead.

Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Nick Hall
On 18/02/15 15:07, John Ralls wrote:
> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one or declare it dead.

I think that we should probably declare it dead now.

> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.

There are no major changes in master at the moment.  Bastien has added
improved drag & drop support and performance enhancements to the
interactive search in the list views.  I have converted some deprecated
widgets.  This included converting Gtk Table widgets into Grid widgets.

Andreas Schmidt volunteered to make some enhancements to alternative
place names, but we never actually made any decisions.

I still have mid-June in mind for a 4.2 release, but there isn't enough
for a major release yet.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Paul Franklin-5
>> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It
>> looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug
>> Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.

I have enhanced some reports in 4.2.0.  I also added some
features that users suggested, as I recall.

I think Craig is working on enhancements for the "tree"
graphic reports but I'll let him answer.

Nick has changed dozens of modules and glade files, to
cope better with more-modern Gtk3 libraries.  I noticed he
put none of them into the gramps41 branch and I assume
there was a good reason.

I think we should keep to the idea of a new major release
every year.  What is your counter-proposal, to introduce
new features into maintenance versions?

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

John,

>> On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:46 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?
>>
>> No problem for me.
>>
>> I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.
>>
>> Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
>> I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
>> windows set is also available.
>>
> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one or declare it dead.
Well, there's a couple of reasons why I want to keep 3.4 alive:
1. I'm not ready for 4.1 hierarchical places yet,
2. gtk3 stinks, because:
a. It scrolls too slow, and there's no way to speed that up in the API,
b. It freezes way too often.

> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.
IMO, releasing 4.2 would only cause confusion to most users, so I think
4.1.2 is enough (and 3.4.9).

regards,

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Alain AUPEIX
Le 18/02/2015 16:07, John Ralls a écrit :
There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one
Probably ...
 or declare it dead.
Don't forget that Ubuntu 12.04 will not be supported only in april 2017 !!!

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.8-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2015-01-19 12:24) | HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r138) | Hw.Gui (2360)

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Paul Franklin-5
On 2/18/15, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18/02/15 15:07, John Ralls wrote:
>> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one
>> or declare it dead.
>
> I think that we should probably declare it dead now.

I suggest that if you plan to never release a 3.4.9 you
announce it on the gramps-users lists, to let them know.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Op 18-02-15 om 19:28 schreef Alain Aupeix:
Le 18/02/2015 16:07, John Ralls a écrit :
There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one
Probably ...
 or declare it dead.
Don't forget that Ubuntu 12.04 will not be supported only in april 2017 !!!
Not only that. Gramps for portable apps is still at 3.4 too. Here's what its publisher says [1]:

Gramps 4.x: Gramps 4.x builds for Windows are not yet stable enough for daily use according to the publisher.

regards,

Enno

[1] http://portableapps.com/apps/education/gramps_portable

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

On 18/02/15 19:15, Paul Franklin wrote:
> On 2/18/15, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 18/02/15 15:07, John Ralls wrote:
>>> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one
>>> or declare it dead.
>> I think that we should probably declare it dead now.
> I suggest that if you plan to never release a 3.4.9 you
> announce it on the gramps-users lists, to let them know.

If that is what we eventually decide, then we should announce it.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Paul Franklin-5
> If that is what we eventually decide, then we should announce it.

Yes, well, don't get me wrong.  I think the anomaly of
maintaining the 3.4.x branch is as much of nuisance
as other people do.  Not only does it confuse developers,
when they are wondering where to put a fix, but it also
confuses translators, who often don't realize it is still
being maintained.

I just think there are a lot of users who are still using
it, and who don't want to change, for their own reasons.

I am just suggesting that if you want a fair vote you should
consider asking the users to vote too, not just developers.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Nick Hall
On 18/02/15 19:59, Paul Franklin wrote:
> I just think there are a lot of users who are still using
> it, and who don't want to change, for their own reasons.

Users are free to use any version of Gramps they choose.

> I am just suggesting that if you want a fair vote you should
> consider asking the users to vote too, not just developers.

I'm not asking for a vote.  I just think that we should focus our
limited resources on v4.1.2 and the future.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
enno wrote
John,
>> On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:46 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?
>>
>> No problem for me.
>>
>> I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.
>>
>> Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
>> I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
>> windows set is also available.
>>
> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one or declare it dead.
Well, there's a couple of reasons why I want to keep 3.4 alive:
1. I'm not ready for 4.1 hierarchical places yet,
2. gtk3 stinks, because:
a. It scrolls too slow, and there's no way to speed that up in the API,
b. It freezes way too often.

> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.
IMO, releasing 4.2 would only cause confusion to most users, so I think
4.1.2 is enough (and 3.4.9).
I agree entirely.

I think there are still quite a number of people using 3.4 (full disclosure, one of them is me), so I think that it should still be maintained. (There are currently 12 bugs that have been Fixed in 3.4.9 (11 resolved and one closed).).

However, I would like to fix the problem with a note instead of a note-handle being attached, see #8233

I would rather not release 4.2, because there don't seem to be enough changes to warrant it, and also I don't want to have yet another branch to apply changes to.

Tim.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

enno
Hi Tim,
enno wrote
John,
>> On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:46 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?
>>
>> No problem for me.
>>
>> I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.
>>
>> Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
>> I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
>> windows set is also available.
>>
> There's a bunch of bug-fixes in 3.4, so we should either release a new one or declare it dead.
Well, there's a couple of reasons why I want to keep 3.4 alive:
1. I'm not ready for 4.1 hierarchical places yet,
2. gtk3 stinks, because:
a. It scrolls too slow, and there's no way to speed that up in the API,
b. It freezes way too often.

> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.
IMO, releasing 4.2 would only cause confusion to most users, so I think
4.1.2 is enough (and 3.4.9).
I agree entirely.

I think there are still quite a number of people using 3.4 (full disclosure, one of them is me), so I think that it should still be maintained. (There are currently 12 bugs that have been Fixed in 3.4.9 (11 resolved and one closed).).
Right. Like I said there's a whole group using Gramps portable for Windows too, and their downloads are not visible on the SF project site. They probably are on SF somewhere, but in a different project.

However, I would like to fix the problem with a note instead of a note-handle being attached, see #8233
Me too. I have it in my local git, but I think that fellow 3.4 users have a right to it too.

regards,

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Josip
18.2.2015. u 10:46, jerome je napisao/la:
> A release for both (4.1.2 and 4.2.0) or 4.1.2, first ?

I think it is too early for 4.2.0

> No problem for me.
>
> I just have a minor problem with the bug-tracker around my account.
>
> Note, I suppose that AIO windows bundle(s) should be released with gtk 3.14.8?
> I am using this version since some days on ubuntu 14.04, but I do not know if the
> windows set is also available.

I have it for 18 days

--
Josip

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Paul Franklin-5 wrote
>> Is there really anything new in master to have a reason to make a 4.2? It
>> looks like it's all bugs that are also fixed in 4.1 except for Doug
>> Blank's two trivial changes to allow him to run it under Jupyter.

I have enhanced some reports in 4.2.0.  I also added some
features that users suggested, as I recall.

I think Craig is working on enhancements for the "tree"
graphic reports but I'll let him answer.

Nick has changed dozens of modules and glade files, to
cope better with more-modern Gtk3 libraries.  I noticed he
put none of them into the gramps41 branch and I assume
there was a good reason.

I think we should keep to the idea of a new major release
every year.  What is your counter-proposal, to introduce
new features into maintenance versions?
I don't think we should make major new releases just for the sake of it (irrespective of whether more or less often than once a year).

I like the idea of 'Semantic Versioning". For Gramps, I would interpret that as requiring a new Major version when the database schema changes, and probably for the conversion to GTK3, since these change the interface to which developers need to write code, and also for the schema changes, there are major incompatibilities of data for the users.

So far, we have done
Upgrade to schema version 14 (modify notes and dates) Gramps 3.2.0 (?) 15/3/2010
Upgrade to schema version 15 (add tagging and surname list) Gramps 3.3.0 11/6/2011
Upgrade to schema version 16 (Replaced Source References with Citations) Gramps 3.4.0 21/5/2012
Conversion to GTK3 and support Python 3 Gramps 4.0.0 21/5/2013
Upgrade to schema version 17 (create place hierarchy) Gramps 4.1.0 15/6/2014

I suppose this doesn't really fit in with the idea of Semantic Versioning, but maybe in the future?

I don't think we have any changes that would warrant a major new release at the moment, besides which it would be something else to maintain.

Tim.

Re: 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Josip
18.2.2015. u 20:26, Enno Borgsteede je napisao/la:

> Not only that. Gramps for portable apps is still at 3.4 too. Here's what
> its publisher says [1]:

There can't be gramps-portable before "normal" gramps release.

> *Gramps 4.x*: Gramps 4.x builds for Windows are not yet stable enough
> for daily use according to the publisher.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

It is you who insist of that statement.

--