Re: A couple of problems Files and Detailed, Descendant report

Re: A couple of problems Files and Detailed, Descendant report

George Baynes

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 16:48:52 -0600
From: Ron Johnson [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] A couple of problems Files and Detailed
	Descendant report
To: [hidden email]

On 02/21/2017 04:34 PM, george wrote:
GRAMPS: 4.2.2
Python: 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

I have found a problem with Filenames in Linux.
It would appear that Linux is quite happy with Control Characters in
Filenames.
That's by design.
So Backup is designed to fall over when it meets control characters in filenames ?
I have just run a Detailed Descendant Report and found the following in
the report...

1331. *Henry Noel Potier. *is the same person as [1331].

1332. *Frances Potier. *is the same person as [1332].

1333. *Clara Potier. *is the same person as [1333].

1334. *Edwin Potier. *is the same person as [1334].

1335. *Frederick Potier. *is the same person as [1335].

1336. *Charles Potier. *is the same person as [1336].

While I cannot complain about the truth of the statements given, I do find
them lacking in useful content.
Their parents were uncle [133] and niece [1312].

Have I done something wrong ?
Yes I have, these two people cannot be man and wife, she was born 1832 and married 1832. So that is my problem solved.
No.  Since the parents were uncle and niece, the children are listed as
descendants of both the uncle and his sibling's child.  (This only happens
in endogamous relationships.)
The excerpt is of the listing as Henry's children. The printout is effectively saying ...
Person 1331 Henry Noel Potier no detail given here, see person 1331.

As the child of Agnes it should say...
13121 Henry Noel Potier is the same person as [1331]
but the entry for 1331 should have the detail included rather than a reference to itself.

I will raise a bug report.

George Baynes

Re: A couple of problems Files and Detailed, Descendant report

Ron Johnson

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 16:48:52 -0600
From: Ron Johnson [hidden email]
	Descendant report
To: [hidden email]

On 02/21/2017 04:34 PM, george wrote:
GRAMPS: 4.2.2
Python: 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

I have found a problem with Filenames in Linux.
It would appear that Linux is quite happy with Control Characters in
Filenames.
That's by design.
So Backup is designed to fall over when it meets control characters in filenames ?

You're conflating "Linux" with "Gramps".

*Linux* is just a kernel, and is -- by design is quite happy to allow control characters in filenames.  All the "userland" programs (Gramps, whatever desktop you use, etc, etc) then must be programmed to handle them correctly, or fail politely.  Linux can't mandate that behavior.

[snip]
While I cannot complain about the truth of the statements given, I do find
them lacking in useful content.
Their parents were uncle [133] and niece [1312].

Have I done something wrong ?
Yes I have, these two people cannot be man and wife, she was born 1832 and married 1832. So that is my problem solved.

Uncles married nieces quite often.  The dates would make it difficult, though...