Re: ADMIN: Migration of Gramps website and applications...2019/11/08 to 2019/11/11.

Re: ADMIN: Migration of Gramps website and applications...2019/11/08 to 2019/11/11.

Ron Johnson
On 11/5/19 9:07 PM, Sam Manzi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Gramps website (consisting primarily of a WordPress 'blog',
> MediaWiki 'wiki' and MantisBT 'bugtracker') has been with the current
> hosting service for several years now, and overall it has been good.
>
> We are on what they (GoDaddy) call their 'Shared' website hosting, however,
> the volume of visitors to the Gramps website has out grown this shared
> service.
>
> We are migrating to a managed VPS (Virtual Private server) host, with a new
> hosting company (A2 Hosting https://www.a2hosting.com/ ) that should allow
> for a more responsive website.

My genealogy website is hosted by them!!

Re: ADMIN: Migration of Gramps website and applications...2019/11/08 to 2019/11/11.

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I noticed that your new hosting organization is running IPv6 as well as IPv4.
Does this mean that the Gramps website will be reachable over IPv6 as well? (it should be.......)

Sam Manzi wrote:
Hello,

The Gramps website (consisting primarily of a WordPress 'blog',
MediaWiki 'wiki' and MantisBT 'bugtracker') has been with the current
hosting service for several years now, and overall it has been good.

We are on what they (GoDaddy) call their 'Shared' website hosting, however,
the volume of visitors to the Gramps website has out grown this shared service.

We are migrating to a managed VPS (Virtual Private server) host, with a new
hosting company (A2 Hosting https://www.a2hosting.com/ ) that should allow for a more responsive website.

This is currently planned to occur between the 8th to the 11th of November 2019.

So at some point in the next few days, there will be a time when the
website will not be available.  Initially, it will just be that editing has
been turned off, esp. for bugtracker and wiki.  They should still be
available for viewing as I do the final backup of the live databases and
files.

But at the point we make the 'cut over', there will be some down time
where gramps-project.org will not be available.  It will all be done as
quickly as possible, and with fingers crossed that everything comes up
again as it should be.

Once the new site is into place, I'll write again - asking you to test
things out thoroughly!

A big thank you to all who have donated to fund this change.

-
Sam Manzi
Volunteer Website Administrator
The Gramps Project
https://gramps-project.org/

Re: ADMIN: Migration of Gramps website and applications...2019/11/08 to 2019/11/11.

Sam,

Thank you for all the work you're doing for this hosting switch. Hope A2 relieves those little oddities where the GoDaddy hosting server has been throttling the traffic.

And my thanks also go out to those who donated. This new hosting does add an ongoing, fixed overhead expense to running our favorite 'free' software project.

And sometimes the mailboxes & archives for such eMail accounts don't transfer well or passwords get lost.  So, if you're a longtime registered user of the the hosted eMail, Mantis bugtracker, are a wikiEditor. Or have WordPress editing rights; take the time on each of those services to verify your contact eMail is for a valid external account... one that you can still access. You'll want to be able to receive a hint or password reset.

As a reminder, this maillist is hosted separately from those other Gramps-Project.org tools... so it will remain online during the cutover. But some people who have eMail through the hosted domain and subscribed using that account may also lose contact and messages could be dropped during cutover. However, the Archives link in the footer will give access to all messages even if you DO lose contact temporarily. Bookmark it today.

-Brian

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 21:10, Sam Manzi
[...]

Wow!

Navigating the MantisBT Bug Reporter is MASSIVELY more responsive for me.  Thank you!

Brian

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 3:30:32 PM CST, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

The website migration has been completed.

The Gramps website has been migrated to the managed VPS (Virtual Private server) host with hosting company (A2 Hosting https://www.a2hosting.com/ ) .

Please test the website and if you notice any issues please let me know.