Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

John Ralls-2

> On May 30, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Nick Wallingford (Gramps) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Our site is nearly ready.  The change to the new hosting is complete, with the only thing outstanding being the movement of the SSL certificate.  Until that happens, you will be warned that it is unsafe to visit.  Hopefully the certificate will soon be into place...

Nick,

The certificate seems to be in place, Chrome doesn't complain about it at all.

Can you configure Mantis so that comments aren't all in bold face, and have attachments appear together near the summary so that one needn't search through the comments to find them? It would be even better if one could flag patches to appear at the top and leave images in-line... and of course it would be really nice if one could view diffs in the tracker and images would actually *display* inline instead of having to download and open them in another application, but I guess that's asking for too much.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Nick Wallingford (Gramps)

On 31/05/17 15:19, John Ralls wrote:
> Can you configure Mantis so that comments aren't all in bold face, and have attachments appear together near the summary so that one needn't search through the comments to find them? It would be even better if one could flag patches to appear at the top and leave images in-line... and of course it would be really nice if one could view diffs in the tracker and images would actually *display* inline instead of having to download and open them in another application, but I guess that's asking for too much.

I'm not much of a bug tracker user so you may need to clarify.  But I
don't see the comments in bold.

And as near as I can tell, attachments relate to specific comments, so
they appear 'with' the relevant comment.

But like I say, I may be missing something.  Give me an example tracker
number for me to look at...

Nick Wallingford

On May 30, 2017, at 8:37 PM, Nick Wallingford (Gramps) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It appears that the bold issue is browser-specific:
Chrome: All of the comments are bold and the split between the author column and the comment column is centered in the window.
Firefox: the comments aren't bold and the split is about 1:5.
Safari & Opera: Comments aren't bold and the split is 1:12

I mostly use Chrome.

There's another obvious difference: Only on Chrome the left-hand toolbar has an icon for "summary" that looks like a little graph.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7638 is an example of a bug with a patch on it. It was posted on 30 April 2014 and appears there in the stream. Since Mantis doesn't seem to be able to distinguish patches from screen shots I guess there's no way to have only patches summarized at the top, but since the inline behavior is new I wonder if it's configurable so that attachments are linked at the top, inline, or both. A better bug tracker *will* treat patches specially, providing status for them (as in "new", "needs work", "accepted", "rejected", and "superseded") as well as making it possible to easily identify bugs that have patches needing review.

I see that you put a teensy image on https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8366 and that it displays in line, but frankly icons aren't much use on most bug reports. Sam attached a couple of modest-sized (~45K) screenshots on that bug last week and they show only as links. Perhaps there's an inline file size configuration that you can adjust?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Paul Franklin-5
I have discovered that the way to upload an attachment
is to click on the "Add Note" button below the <attachment
area> -- once you have "browsed" or "dropped" the to-upload
file.

On 31/05/17 05:27, John Ralls wrote:
> I see that you put a teensy image on
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8366 and that it displays
> in line, but frankly icons aren't much use on most bug reports. Sam
> attached a couple of modest-sized (~45K) screenshots on that bug last
> week and they show only as links. Perhaps there's an inline file size
> configuration that you can adjust?

I have increased the setting to 100K.  The value needs to be set in
bytes rather than K as implied in the documentation.

Nick H.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

John Ralls-2

> On May 31, 2017, at 5:35 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 31/05/17 05:27, John Ralls wrote:
>> I see that you put a teensy image on https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8366 and that it displays in line, but frankly icons aren't much use on most bug reports. Sam attached a couple of modest-sized (~45K) screenshots on that bug last week and they show only as links. Perhaps there's an inline file size configuration that you can adjust?
>>
> I have increased the setting to 100K.  The value needs to be set in bytes rather than K as implied in the documentation.

Thanks. That takes care of showing most attachments in the browser.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

prculley
Another bug tracker request:
On my Chrome and Firefox browsers, the activities region, where all the notes are, is as wide as the longest object in a note, so usually needs to use the horizontal scroll-bar.  Unfortunately with a long list of notes, that bar is only accessible by scrolling down.  So attempting to read a note near the top is a very frustrating experience.

I hope there is some setting to use a word-wrap to the window size...  Or else I will really hate this...

Paul C.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 8:43 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 31, 2017, at 5:35 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 31/05/17 05:27, John Ralls wrote:
>> I see that you put a teensy image on https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8366 and that it displays in line, but frankly icons aren't much use on most bug reports. Sam attached a couple of modest-sized (~45K) screenshots on that bug last week and they show only as links. Perhaps there's an inline file size configuration that you can adjust?
>>
> I have increased the setting to 100K.  The value needs to be set in bytes rather than K as implied in the documentation.

Thanks. That takes care of showing most attachments in the browser.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Nick Hall
On 31/05/17 17:28, Paul Culley wrote:
> I hope there is some setting to use a word-wrap to the window size...

The problem is caused by the use of the <pre> tag in the first note.

Nick H.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Paul Franklin-5
I don't see anything I can click on to get a "roadmap"
in the new bug tracker UI.

On 01/06/17 08:51, Paul Franklin wrote:
 > I don't see anything I can click on to get a "roadmap"
 > in the new bug tracker UI.

With both Chrome and Firefox, there is a Roadmap button on the left of
the screen (either logged in or not).  I haven't checked any other browsers.

Nick W.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Nick W, thanks for all the work you have done to get more up to date software - it's never easy, and there are always old things that one misses, as well as seeing the benefits.

Nick Hall wrote
On 31/05/17 17:28, Paul Culley wrote:
> I hope there is some setting to use a word-wrap to the window size...

The problem is caused by the use of the <pre> tag in the first note.
Well, yeahbut, even if that stops word-wrap on the whole of the first note, perhaps it should not affect the other notes, especially as you have to scroll right down to find the scroll bar.

Does this perhaps need to be raised as a bug on Mantis, if it can't be changed any other way?

Tim.

On 5/31/17, Nick Wallingford (Gramps) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/06/17 08:51, Paul Franklin wrote:
>  > I don't see anything I can click on to get a "roadmap"
>  > in the new bug tracker UI.
>
> With both Chrome and Firefox, there is a Roadmap button on the left of
> the screen (either logged in or not).  I haven't checked any other
> browsers.

With my browser (one of the Mozilla family) I see no such button.
Nor do I see ones which are related (view_all_bug_page.php and
changelog_page.php for instance), although I can see them in the
"source" view of that page.

Just like I can no longer easily login, since whatever the new UI
does is not whatever it used to do, which my browser was happy
to remember, so that I didn't have to type my name every time,
as I now have to do.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Nick Wallingford (Gramps)
>> With both Chrome and Firefox, there is a Roadmap button on the left of
>> the screen (either logged in or not).  I haven't checked any other
>> browsers.
>
> With my browser (one of the Mozilla family) I see no such button.
> Nor do I see ones which are related (view_all_bug_page.php and
> changelog_page.php for instance), although I can see them in the
> "source" view of that page.
>
> Just like I can no longer easily login, since whatever the new UI
> does is not whatever it used to do, which my browser was happy
> to remember, so that I didn't have to type my name every time,
> as I now have to do.

If you can see the relevant tags and links in the source for the page -
what is it that is stopping it from rendering in your browser?

I've intentionally done as close as I could to a 'clean' install for
this upgrade, with only one set of (minimal) mods specific to us (I try
to avoid having to use these, as they must be maintained!)  And then
whatever settings were in our existing config file.

Could you send me the text you see in the page's source offlist?  I'll
do some reading and see what I can figure is happening.

Nick Wallingford

On 6/1/17, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could you send me the text you see in the page's source offlist?  I'll
>> do some reading and see what I can figure is happening.
>
> Sure.

Sorry for copying the list.  No moderator approval is needed.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Regarding the long/wide comments in bug tracker, I understand what makes an object wide, the issue is that since Mantis now has separate frames, each with their own bottom scroll-bar, when you have a long comments section then you cannot even get to the scroll-bar without vertically scrolling the entire page.

If I remember right, I think the previous version of Mantis had only a single frame, so the web browser had the horizontal scroll-bar available at the bottom of the page at all times.

If we could get each individual comment to have its own frame (with scroll-bar if necessary) or do away with the separate frames for each section, this would not be an issue.

As it is, I suspect that those of us who have edit rights, will end up editing out the <pre> and other tags that lead to this, just to read the darn thing.

On 01/06/17 13:57, Paul Culley wrote:
Regarding the long/wide comments in bug tracker, I understand what makes an object wide, the issue is that since Mantis now has separate frames, each with their own bottom scroll-bar, when you have a long comments section then you cannot even get to the scroll-bar without vertically scrolling the entire page.

If I remember right, I think the previous version of Mantis had only a single frame, so the web browser had the horizontal scroll-bar available at the bottom of the page at all times.

If we could get each individual comment to have its own frame (with scroll-bar if necessary) or do away with the separate frames for each section, this would not be an issue.

I can't find any configuration option to change this behaviour.

As it is, I suspect that those of us who have edit rights, will end up editing out the <pre> and other tags that lead to this, just to read the darn thing.

We could remove <pre> from the list of valid tags.  This would prevent it being interpreted.

Nick H.

On 6/1/17, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We could remove <pre> from the list of valid tags.  This would prevent
> it being interpreted.

Yet another negative change/drawback.

On 01/06/17 17:57, Paul Franklin wrote:
We could remove <pre> from the list of valid tags.  This would prevent
it being interpreted.
Yet another negative change/drawback.

What do you suggest?

I would prefer using markdown rather than html.  This is supported by the latest version of Mantis, but not enabled by default.

I also think we should investigate source integration.

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Nick Wallingford (Gramps)
>> Yet another negative change/drawback.
>>
> What do you suggest?

The upgrade to the current version of MantisBT came about because we
were well behind with upgrades.  That was because our previous hosting
was restricted to old versions of both mysql and php - and neither had
any sort of plan to upgrade.  It came to a head when I got an urgent
security warning - but it turned out our install was so old that it
wasn't an issue! (Note: I am not saying "this is a good thing".)

We are, to put it bluntly, "consumers" for the MantisBT application.
Apart from actually coding many of the changes suggested, our only real
course of action is to (if you feel strongly about it) work with the
Mantis development team to 'fix' things we do not like.

We have currently one instance of using our own coding in this app, in
order to make this one aspect work "just for us".  What it means is that
every time we upgrade the application, I need to go back and make the
changes.  Every deviation from the basic install has the potential for
extra and on-going work.

I am not saying that we have to be happy with everything that Mantis
provides - but (1) we may not be able to/want to make every change
suggested (2) we will most certainly want to remain with a current
version and (3) while Mantis is pretty well respected, there may be
other products out there to review.

The current feature set and functionality for Mantis and its ongoing
development is not really something we have a lot of control over.
While we are trying to provide a useful bug tracker, I don't want to
find us in the business of forking into our own version too much!

Nick Wallingford

Re: ADMIN: Status of website migration

Nick Wallingford (Gramps)
>> We could remove <pre> from the list of valid tags.  This would prevent
>> it being interpreted.

Yes, we can determine which tags are allowed in the comments area.  But
the way I figure it, the <PRE> and <CODE> tags do have a purpose, and if
used well contribute to readability and understanding.

Using <PRE> to create lines that are too long for the screen?  I would
have no qualms editing a msg to reduce the line length.  If users use
the tags well, and Mantis delivers up code appropriately, and if the
user's browser renders it as it should be - all should be well.  What
could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, I believe we should allow <PRE> tags - but just be willing to
edit if they become obstructive.  It that work gets onerous, then we can
restrict the tag's use...

Nick Wallingford