Re: Beginners question

Samuel G. Shirley
Alex Roitman <shura <at> gramps-project.org> writes:

> On 05/03/2005 10:30:13 AM, Don Allingham wrote:
> > >
> > > You are correct in entering Marriage and Divorce events. I don't think
> > > you're correct in storing their relation as Married, since they
> > > are not married. They were, but only for a period of time.
> >
> > I would disagree here. The relationship between the two people was a
> > married relationship. Because they are no longer married does not mean
> > that the marriage did not occur.  This is like saying if a spouse died,
> > their relationship was not a married relationship.
> >
> > Also, any children they had during that time would have been the
> > children of married parents. Not labeling the parents as "Married" could
> > cause some confusion.
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> There's always a trade-off here between the appearance of polygamy
> and the accuracy  I think Don is right and Married is the right
> thing here, so please ignore my earlier message.
>
> Alex

Ok...I recently had to change my marriage relationship in Gramps to 'divorced'.
:-) Let's say that sometime FAR in the future I get remaried, how do I indicate
that in Gramps? Do I remove that previous marriage from the record or can I add
a secondary (or thrird) relationship?

-Sam

Re: Beginners question

Alex Roitman
On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 16:14 +0000, Samuel G Shirley wrote:
> Ok...I recently had to change my marriage relationship in Gramps to 'divorced'.
> :-) Let's say that sometime FAR in the future I get remaried, how do I indicate
> that in Gramps? Do I remove that previous marriage from the record or can I add
> a secondary (or thrird) relationship?

You add as many as you need. Nothing should be removed:
you cannot remove things from history, can you?

You can indicate in your past relationship the two events:
marriage and divorce (as well as anything like Engagement,
Separation, etc, whatever you like).

Same with any additional relationships: add events
as they happen.

Alex

Re: Beginners question

Duncan Lithgow
On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 16:14 +0000, Samuel G Shirley wrote:

> Ok...I recently had to change my marriage relationship in Gramps to 'divorced'.
> :-) Let's say that sometime FAR in the future I get remaried, how do I indicate
> that in Gramps? Do I remove that previous marriage from the record or can I add
> a secondary (or thrird) relationship?
It sounds to me like you're confusing the relationship 'marriage'
between two people with the event 'marriage' which is fixed in time. If
you keep the two concepts separate it makes more sense (to me).

Interesting point earlier about whether divorced people maintain the
relationship 'married' to each other. I'd say they don't - I'd say that
the final status is what counts. If the marriage is recorded as an event
then clearly they have been married - but their relationship to each
other can't remain married after they're divorced. At least that's how I
see it. Marriage can be a state with either an infinite duration (one
part dies) or a finite duration (they divorce).

Just my view of course. How odd that these things are not obvious to
solve - why is the world so full of confusion and contradiction?

Duncan
(in a contemplative mood)

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk