Re: Childes relationship to wife

Ron Johnson
If there's a Death Event for Wife #1 dated *before* the birth of the child,
then I'd call that a bug. If there's no Death Event, then NW would think
that Wife #1 is still alive, and thus a stepmother.

On 02/19/2018 11:18 AM, CurtD wrote:
> If a couple married and the wife dies without children, the man remarries and
> they have children would the 1st wife be considered a stepmother?
>
> The reason I ask is because the Narrated Wes Site report shows the 1st wife
> as the stepmother of the 2nd wifes children.

Re: Childes relationship to wife

Serge Noiraud-2
Hi,

Le 28/02/2018 à 07:27, Ron Johnson a écrit :
If there's a Death Event for Wife #1 dated *before* the birth of the child, then I'd call that a bug. If there's no Death Event, then NW would think that Wife #1 is still alive, and thus a stepmother.

On 02/19/2018 11:18 AM, CurtD wrote:
If a couple married and the wife dies without children, the man remarries and
they have children would the 1st wife be considered a stepmother?

The reason I ask is because the Narrated Wes Site report shows the 1st wife
as the stepmother of the 2nd wifes children.

I know that because I have the same problem (with divorce). It can be considered as a bug.

I tried to see where is the problem and it is very difficult to do.

This can increase the generation of the report from a few percent to several hours depending on your tree.

In the source, we have :

                # Stepfather may not always be quite right (for example, it may
                # actually be StepFather-in-law), but it is too expensive to
                # calculate out the correct relationship using the Relationship
                # Calculator

Serge

Re: Childes relationship to wife

Serge Noiraud-2

Le 28/02/2018 à 07:27, Ron Johnson a écrit :
If there's a Death Event for Wife #1 dated *before* the birth of the child, then I'd call that a bug. If there's no Death Event, then NW would think that Wife #1 is still alive, and thus a stepmother.

On 02/19/2018 11:18 AM, CurtD wrote:
If a couple married and the wife dies without children, the man remarries and
they have children would the 1st wife be considered a stepmother?

The reason I ask is because the Narrated Wes Site report shows the 1st wife
as the stepmother of the 2nd wifes children.

I am looking at this. I think this is a feature request because it is too complicated for gramps 5.0 and we need to specify what is really a stepmother or stepfather.

Can someone create this feature request please ?

I propose the following :

        We assume this is not a stepmother or a stepfather if :
         1 - The father or mother died before the child birth
         2 - The father or the mother divorced before the child birth
         3 - The father or the mother married after the child death

        In all other cases, they are stepfather or stepmother.

Do you agree with this?

Do I forget some condition(s)?

Serge

Re: Childes relationship to wife

CurtD

Serge

Your assumption of step-parent is the same as mine and Webster. Should it be a bug report because the current Narrated Web Site reports the deceased/divorced parents incorrectly?

Kurt

Le 01/03/2018 à 00:05, Kurt a écrit :

[...]

I created issue 10478 for that.

Serge