Re : Customizable place names in reports

Re : Customizable place names in reports

jerome
Hello,

I suppose your case could be covered by an existing
PlaceFormat class and substitution keywords
for graphical reports?

If so, it is a known issue[1], which seems a migration issue,
where the substitution keywords still uses the
deprecated previous locations hiearchy. It does not work anymore.

I tested a workaround (which is incomplete on bug report #9562[1])
with an addon.

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9562

Jérôme

 Objet: [Gramps-users] Customizable place names in reports
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Mercredi 25 janvier 2017, 20h19

 I have been trying to make reports work for my needs and am
 running into
 some issues with, amongst other things, the display of place
 names.

 The source of my issue: I am using 4.2.5 with automatic
 title
 generation. Most of my place names are in France, where the
 full
 city/department/region/country strings get very long (74
 characters for,
 say, my childhood place of residence, with the shortest ones
 still above
 30 characters).

 In text reports, having the full strings makes some sense,
 but having
 them repeated again and again and again makes the text
 unreadable.

 In graphs they make the node sizes inflate dramatically and
 wreck layouts.

 In graphical reports it is almost as bad, *except* for
 reports where I
 can use display formatting options to whittle down to just
 the city.

 So...

 1) Has anybody else felt the need to add display formatting
 options to
 Graph reports?

 2) Display formatting for graphical reports is not for
 beginners --
 which is probably why even reports which offer the option
 also have the
 Name Format option on their first configuration tab. Anybody
 felt the
 need for a Place Format option? If yes what should be there
 (limit to
 city, have shorter versions with state codes vs. full names,
 make the
 list of format options itself configurable (using display
 formatting
 patterns?) with a hard coded list of sane defaults...)?

 3) Adding place formatting (or the simplified version) to
 text reports?

 Anything I missed that other people might want?

 I am basically trying to shape a new feature request and am
 looking for
 some input.

 Agnes