Re: [Fwd: How do you export archives?]

Benny Malengier
Doug,

I don't have revision installed myself so don't fully know how it works.

However, it should be as follows under unix systems:

All your databases are stored in directories under
~/.gramps/grampsdb
Every directory has a file name.txt with the name of the database, open that with kate/gedit/vi to know if you have the correct name
Doing
gramps -l
in a terminal will give you this mapping between dirname and name seen in GRAMPS too.
So eg,
/home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 , with name  Family Tree 1

Then open the directory, if you did version control, then there will be a subdirectory rev.gramps,v which contains the revisions.

So, if you want to backup above with the revision, I believe you need to backup entirely /home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 or only that subdirectory. You should try it.
This might be a very huge amount, you are warned

If you put the backup back and you already have a directory /home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 I believe you can just take another name. The name of the dir is of no importance, only what is in it.

Hope that helps,
Benny

2009/1/15 Doug <[hidden email]>
Hi Benny,

Please excuse my sending this to you - I wonder if you'd mind forwarding it to the gramps-users lists.
I've sent it twice already, but there's no sign of it on the mailing list or in the mailing list archives, although I've not received any notice that it's bounced.

Many thanks,

Doug

Re: [Fwd: How do you export archives?]

Doug-11
Benny,

I've tried this out on a small scale:

(1) Preserved the rev.gramps,v file under another name in ~/.gramps/grampsdb
(2) Exported the tree as portable XML gpkg
(3) Deleted the tree
(4) Created a new tree and imported the gpkg - No archives present
(5) Found the new dir in ~/.gramps/grampsdb with gramps -l
(6) Copied the preserved rev.gramps,v file into this dir and restored
its name.
(7) Re-started gramps - the new tree now has the archived versions of
the old one.

Works perfectly! Grateful thanks yet again!

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I don't have revision installed myself so don't fully know how it works.
>
> However, it should be as follows under unix systems:
>
> All your databases are stored in directories under
> ~/.gramps/grampsdb
> Every directory has a file name.txt with the name of the database,
> open that with kate/gedit/vi to know if you have the correct name
> Doing
> gramps -l
> in a terminal will give you this mapping between dirname and name seen
> in GRAMPS too.
> So eg,
> /home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 , with name  Family Tree 1
>
> Then open the directory, if you did version control, then there will
> be a subdirectory rev.gramps,v which contains the revisions.
>
> So, if you want to backup above with the revision, I believe you need
> to backup entirely /home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 or only
> that subdirectory. You should try it.
> This might be a very huge amount, you are warned
>
> If you put the backup back and you already have a directory
> /home/cristina/.gramps/grampsdb/4969d1d5 I believe you can just take
> another name. The name of the dir is of no importance, only what is in it.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Benny

<snip>