Quantcast

Re: GOV import

Simon Lenz
Finally I want to try the experimental addon, but I am not really sure what is the easiest way to do that for me.

Right now I'm using gramps 4.2.3 from the ubuntu repository.
It seems the addon isn't available yet for this version.

Then I saw that it is available in the 50 addon folder. So I switched my update location to
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps50

Now the addon shows up, but installing results in an "installation error"
The only hint in this error message is "The following Addon had errors: GetGOV Gramplet (1.0.2)"

I guess this has something to do with my gramps version..

So what would be the easiest way for me to use this addon now?

Clone the repository and run a development version of gramps?

Or is it possible to use the addon with 4.2.3?

Thanks for the help.

Simon

On 24 October 2015 at 15:32, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hallo Uli,

 > Furtheron some Place Names are in English e.g."Hesse" and some are ok
e.g."Niederweidbach"

If you closer, you can see other languages in alternative names. Nick
and I discussed that earlier here, and it seems that the Gramplet stores
the names in the sequence that they are sent by the GOV API.

So, if the GOV API sends the English name first, that will be the main
location name, and the others will be alternatives, and it will look
wrong to you. Similarly, when for another location the German one is
sent first, it will look right, but it may be wrong for Nick, or me,
because I prefer Dutch, when available.

There are several ways to correct this, and one is to filter/sort the
names before storing them, so that you always get the German one as
main, and other names as alternatives, and I get the Dutch one first.
The drawback of that is that the same object in GOV will then be stored
in different ways in our Gramps trees, so that we can not exchange data
easily, if we want.

Therefore, I think that there is a better way, and that is to treat all
names as equal, and make sure that the editor shows the local name
first, and I really mean the name here, not the title. This will make
sure that I see Berlijn, and Londen, when they are in the data set.

cheers,

Re: GOV import

Dave Scheipers
Hi Simon

I too just started using GetGOV and I installed manually. FYI I'm using 4.2.5 on win10.

getgov.py.new (don't forget to delete the .NEW extension)

Then I added a folder GetGOV in my plugin folder for  the two py  files.

Relaunched Gramps and GetGOV showed as available.

Note: GetGOV will use the ID field for its own codes that are needed to automatically merge places. These ID will be overwritten if you run the Reorder Gramps ID tool

Hope this helps, Dave

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Simon Lenz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Finally I want to try the experimental addon, but I am not really sure what is the easiest way to do that for me.

Right now I'm using gramps 4.2.3 from the ubuntu repository.
It seems the addon isn't available yet for this version.

Then I saw that it is available in the 50 addon folder. So I switched my update location to
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps50

Now the addon shows up, but installing results in an "installation error"
The only hint in this error message is "The following Addon had errors: GetGOV Gramplet (1.0.2)"

I guess this has something to do with my gramps version..

So what would be the easiest way for me to use this addon now?

Clone the repository and run a development version of gramps?

Or is it possible to use the addon with 4.2.3?

Thanks for the help.

Simon

On 24 October 2015 at 15:32, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hallo Uli,

 > Furtheron some Place Names are in English e.g."Hesse" and some are ok
e.g."Niederweidbach"

If you closer, you can see other languages in alternative names. Nick
and I discussed that earlier here, and it seems that the Gramplet stores
the names in the sequence that they are sent by the GOV API.

So, if the GOV API sends the English name first, that will be the main
location name, and the others will be alternatives, and it will look
wrong to you. Similarly, when for another location the German one is
sent first, it will look right, but it may be wrong for Nick, or me,
because I prefer Dutch, when available.

There are several ways to correct this, and one is to filter/sort the
names before storing them, so that you always get the German one as
main, and other names as alternatives, and I get the Dutch one first.
The drawback of that is that the same object in GOV will then be stored
in different ways in our Gramps trees, so that we can not exchange data
easily, if we want.

Therefore, I think that there is a better way, and that is to treat all
names as equal, and make sure that the editor shows the local name
first, and I really mean the name here, not the title. This will make
sure that I see Berlijn, and Londen, when they are in the data set.

cheers,

Re: GOV import

Simon Lenz
Thanks a lot Dave!

It seems to work now.

A further note: I had to use the gramplet version from the bugtracker. The (it seems a tad newer) version from the git addons repo did not show up in gramps.

regards

On 27 March 2017 at 15:59, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Simon

I too just started using GetGOV and I installed manually. FYI I'm using 4.2.5 on win10.

getgov.py.new (don't forget to delete the .NEW extension)

Then I added a folder GetGOV in my plugin folder for  the two py  files.

Relaunched Gramps and GetGOV showed as available.

Note: GetGOV will use the ID field for its own codes that are needed to automatically merge places. These ID will be overwritten if you run the Reorder Gramps ID tool

Hope this helps, Dave

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Simon Lenz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Finally I want to try the experimental addon, but I am not really sure what is the easiest way to do that for me.

Right now I'm using gramps 4.2.3 from the ubuntu repository.
It seems the addon isn't available yet for this version.

Then I saw that it is available in the 50 addon folder. So I switched my update location to
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps50

Now the addon shows up, but installing results in an "installation error"
The only hint in this error message is "The following Addon had errors: GetGOV Gramplet (1.0.2)"

I guess this has something to do with my gramps version..

So what would be the easiest way for me to use this addon now?

Clone the repository and run a development version of gramps?

Or is it possible to use the addon with 4.2.3?

Thanks for the help.

Simon

On 24 October 2015 at 15:32, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hallo Uli,

 > Furtheron some Place Names are in English e.g."Hesse" and some are ok
e.g."Niederweidbach"

If you closer, you can see other languages in alternative names. Nick
and I discussed that earlier here, and it seems that the Gramplet stores
the names in the sequence that they are sent by the GOV API.

So, if the GOV API sends the English name first, that will be the main
location name, and the others will be alternatives, and it will look
wrong to you. Similarly, when for another location the German one is
sent first, it will look right, but it may be wrong for Nick, or me,
because I prefer Dutch, when available.

There are several ways to correct this, and one is to filter/sort the
names before storing them, so that you always get the German one as
main, and other names as alternatives, and I get the Dutch one first.
The drawback of that is that the same object in GOV will then be stored
in different ways in our Gramps trees, so that we can not exchange data
easily, if we want.

Therefore, I think that there is a better way, and that is to treat all
names as equal, and make sure that the editor shows the local name
first, and I really mean the name here, not the title. This will make
sure that I see Berlijn, and Londen, when they are in the data set.

cheers,

Re: GOV import

From here, you can download and install the latest version.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.5/

On 03/27/2017 08:17 AM, Simon Lenz wrote:
Finally I want to try the experimental addon, but I am not really sure what is the easiest way to do that for me.

Right now I'm using gramps 4.2.3 from the ubuntu repository.
It seems the addon isn't available yet for this version.

Then I saw that it is available in the 50 addon folder. So I switched my update location to
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps50

Now the addon shows up, but installing results in an "installation error"
The only hint in this error message is "The following Addon had errors: GetGOV Gramplet (1.0.2)"

I guess this has something to do with my gramps version..

So what would be the easiest way for me to use this addon now?

Clone the repository and run a development version of gramps?

Or is it possible to use the addon with 4.2.3?

Thanks for the help.

Simon

On 24 October 2015 at 15:32, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hallo Uli,

 > Furtheron some Place Names are in English e.g."Hesse" and some are ok
e.g."Niederweidbach"

If you closer, you can see other languages in alternative names. Nick
and I discussed that earlier here, and it seems that the Gramplet stores
the names in the sequence that they are sent by the GOV API.

So, if the GOV API sends the English name first, that will be the main
location name, and the others will be alternatives, and it will look
wrong to you. Similarly, when for another location the German one is
sent first, it will look right, but it may be wrong for Nick, or me,
because I prefer Dutch, when available.

There are several ways to correct this, and one is to filter/sort the
names before storing them, so that you always get the German one as
main, and other names as alternatives, and I get the Dutch one first.
The drawback of that is that the same object in GOV will then be stored
in different ways in our Gramps trees, so that we can not exchange data
easily, if we want.

Therefore, I think that there is a better way, and that is to treat all
names as equal, and make sure that the editor shows the local name
first, and I really mean the name here, not the title. This will make
sure that I see Berlijn, and Londen, when they are in the data set.

cheers,

Re: GOV import

Gary Griffin
The differences in GetGOV between the bug tracker and the 5.0 master is just error checking.

The module looks for the language setting and prioritizes that version of the place as the default name if there are multiple language versions. It no longer uses the arbitrary order returned by the GOV API. This should address the issue described by Enno. It also uses the language for place type that matches the default place language.

Gary

Re: GOV import

Simon Lenz
Three things that caused some confusion for me:

1) the alternative places are kind of randomly sorted. But as Gary has mentioned this is already fixed in the master

2) on the GOV website they show a tree of "superordinate objects" for every place, but this appears to be not complete. When viewing the expandable text view below that there are more objects than displayed in the graph above. GetGOV obviously uses the more elaborate data. But at first I was confused where some of the place names come from because they weren't in the graph view on the website. This is an issue with their webinterface.

3) the place hierarchy view in gramps only allows each object to be displayed once, even though the objects may have several parent-objects. Is this intended or some kind of "bug"? Because it would be really useful and would display the database more correctly.

Really nice work the gramplet :)

regards

On 27 March 2017 at 16:45, Gary Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
The differences in GetGOV between the bug tracker and the 5.0 master is just
error checking.

The module looks for the language setting and prioritizes that version of
the place as the default name if there are multiple language versions. It no
longer uses the arbitrary order returned by the GOV API. This should address
the issue described by Enno. It also uses the language for place type that
matches the default place language.

Gary

Re: GOV import

Dave Scheipers
Hi Simon,

I've just started myself and figuring it out, understanding what I've got. But....

3. A place will only show once under the top "Enclosed By" record which may or may not be the expected hierarchy. While viewing the place in the Place Tree, the "Title" is actually static based upon the top Enclosed By records.. It is not until a date is united to a place in an event that the alternative paths can displayed.

On 28/03/17 11:02, Simon Lenz wrote:
> Three things that caused some confusion for me:
>
> 1) the alternative places are kind of randomly sorted. But as Gary has
> mentioned this is already fixed in the master

The endonym handling was improved in v4.2.5.

9813: Language codes should be allowed on all place names

> 2) on the GOV website they show a tree of "superordinate objects" for
> every place, but this appears to be not complete. When viewing the
> expandable text view below that there are more objects than displayed
> in the graph above. GetGOV obviously uses the more elaborate data. But
> at first I was confused where some of the place names come from
> because they weren't in the graph view on the website. This is an
> issue with their webinterface.

Gramps was displaying places outside of valid date ranges.  This was
fixed in v4.2.5.

09534: "Enclosing" gramplet includes places outside valid date ranges

> 3) the place hierarchy view in gramps only allows each object to be
> displayed once, even though the objects may have several
> parent-objects. Is this intended or some kind of "bug"? Because it
> would be really useful and would display the database more correctly.

This has already been requested.  See:

7943: Place tree view: show every hierarchy possibility

Re: GOV import

On 28/03/17 12:52, Dave Scheipers wrote:
I've just started myself and figuring it out, understanding what I've got. But....

3. A place will only show once under the top "Enclosed By" record which may or may not be the expected hierarchy. While viewing the place in the Place Tree, the "Title" is actually static based upon the top Enclosed By records.. It is not until a date is united to a place in an event that the alternative paths can displayed.

Yes.  Views and selectors can only display an object once in a tree.

Re: GOV import

Gary Griffin
You might want to look at the upcoming documentation for the GetGOV module https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV.

Re: GOV import

Nick Hall
On 28/03/17 14:22, Gary Griffin wrote:
> You might want to look at the upcoming documentation for the GetGOV module
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

Thanks.  I have closed the original feature request.

Re: GOV import

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Alright one question that I'm still slightly confused by as there
appear to be different versions of the plugin in different places:
from where should I download the most current version of GetGOV?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't find it here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Addons#Installing_Addons_in_Gramps

Nor can I see any direct pointers to it here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

It does appear to exist here, but there are different versions:

Beyond that, there is a link to it here:
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/GetGOV

I'm excited to give GetGOV a spin on Gramps 4.2.5 (on Ubuntu 14.04),
but I'd love to know which is the correct version to download and from
where.

And once I do get it up and running, where should I be keeping an eye
out for updated versions?

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/03/17 14:22, Gary Griffin wrote:
>> You might want to look at the upcoming documentation for the GetGOV module
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV
>
> Thanks.  I have closed the original feature request.
>
> Nick.

Re: GOV import

Dave Scheipers
Hi Peter

getgov.py.new (don't forget to delete the .NEW extension)

Then I added a folder GetGOV in my plugin folder for  the two py  files.

Relaunched Gramps and GetGOV showed as available.

Note: GetGOV will use the ID field for its own codes that are needed to automatically merge places. These ID will be overwritten if you run the Reorder Gramps ID tool

Dave

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alright one question that I'm still slightly confused by as there
appear to be different versions of the plugin in different places:
from where should I download the most current version of GetGOV?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't find it here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Addons#Installing_Addons_in_Gramps

Nor can I see any direct pointers to it here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

It does appear to exist here, but there are different versions:

Beyond that, there is a link to it here:
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/GetGOV

I'm excited to give GetGOV a spin on Gramps 4.2.5 (on Ubuntu 14.04),
but I'd love to know which is the correct version to download and from
where.

And once I do get it up and running, where should I be keeping an eye
out for updated versions?

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28/03/17 14:22, Gary Griffin wrote:
>> You might want to look at the upcoming documentation for the GetGOV module
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV
>
> Thanks.  I have closed the original feature request.
>
> Nick.

Re: GOV import

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Dave Scheipers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I downloaded the py files from
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8974
>
> getgov.gpr.py
> getgov.py.new (don't forget to delete the .NEW extension)

Since there are no indicators to do that here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Addons#Installing_Addons_in_Gramps

Or here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

Why did you download them from where you did, and not from here:
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/GetGOV

> Then I added a folder GetGOV in my plugin folder for  the two py  files.
>
> Relaunched Gramps and GetGOV showed as available.

That's great. I'm thrilled to hear that what you did worked for you.
Other than your email, I just can't see any clear path anywhere
instructing me to do that.

Also, now that you do have it working, where do you keep a lookout for
updated versions of the plugin being posted?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: GOV import

Dave Scheipers
Hi Peter,

NickH just closed the feature request so I assume it will soon be added to the automatic add-on. Until that happens, it's a beta version.

The app has been discussed on previous threads which is how I knew what to do.

Dave

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I downloaded the py files from
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8974
>
> getgov.gpr.py
> getgov.py.new (don't forget to delete the .NEW extension)

Since there are no indicators to do that here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Addons#Installing_Addons_in_Gramps

Or here:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

Why did you download them from where you did, and not from here:
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/GetGOV

> Then I added a folder GetGOV in my plugin folder for  the two py  files.
>
> Relaunched Gramps and GetGOV showed as available.

That's great. I'm thrilled to hear that what you did worked for you.
Other than your email, I just can't see any clear path anywhere
instructing me to do that.

Also, now that you do have it working, where do you keep a lookout for
updated versions of the plugin being posted?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: GOV import

This plugin is very new, and still undergoing changes rapidly.  The 'publishing' process which adds it to the Gramps addon database is a bit behind.  Once it settles down, the normal installation process is the one to use.  Updated versions do appear there, but usually are tested a bit first before being posted, so it takes some time for this to happen.

In the meantime, the author has added his most recent version to the Gramps bugtracker so that people who want to look at the bleeding edge can do so.  But it takes a bit more work and some imagination/extrapolation to figure out how that is done.

Paul Culley

On 29/03/17 14:38, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> NickH just closed the feature request so I assume it will soon be
> added to the automatic add-on. Until that happens, it's a beta version.

I'll add it today.

Re: GOV import

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi Paul,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This plugin is very new, and still undergoing changes rapidly.  The
> 'publishing' process which adds it to the Gramps addon database is a bit
> behind.  Once it settles down, the normal installation process is the one to
> use.  Updated versions do appear there, but usually are tested a bit first
> before being posted, so it takes some time for this to happen.
>
> In the meantime, the author has added his most recent version to the Gramps
> bugtracker so that people who want to look at the bleeding edge can do so.
> But it takes a bit more work and some imagination/extrapolation to figure
> out how that is done.

All of that makes good sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to
explain it to me.

Peter

Re: GOV import

Gary Griffin
Sorry to cause the confusion with GetGOV. This is my first attempt to provide a module in Gramps (based on initial code by NickH) and is currently only in master (next release) and is not part of the 4.3 tree. I wrote the documentation - https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV - but did not link to the main Addons documentation page  - https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Addons#Installing_Addons_in_Gramps - yet. I was planning on making this link once this was part of the current release. At that point, it would be part of the standard Addons list.

If this was the wrong process, please let me know what I should have done.

Re: GOV import

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi Gary,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Gary Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry to cause the confusion with GetGOV.

There's no need to apologize -- I just didn't know quite where to turn
and why. The fact is, you're doing the entire Gramps community a great
service in continuing to develop what sounds like an extremely helpful
plugin that will likely make a very positive and significant
difference in my own tree personally. So I am very grateful and
appreciative of your efforts!

Again, thank you!

Peter