Re: GRAMPS Book Reports - limitation question

Re: GRAMPS Book Reports - limitation question

Alex Roitman
Doug,

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 21:10 -0800, Douglas Samuels wrote:
> I'm using the GRAMPS system and have a question regarding your "Book
> Report".  I can't seem to get information past 10 Generations on the
> Detailed Ancestral Report.  The graphical diagrams are the same way.

Have you configured the Detailed Ancestral Report to use more
than 10 generations? If you double-click on the line in the Current
Book pane of the Book Report dialog then you should be able
to adjust this parameter. Default is having 10 generations limit,
but it could be set to anything up to 999.

> Also, on the Ancestors Report, I get a message saying Relationship
> Loop Detected.  How do I find out where the error is and how do I fix
> it?

I can't think of a way right now, but I am out of town.
Don, can you help here?

> Also, in the Detailed Ancestral Report, when the second person is
> mentioned, their marriage date is missing.  It says..."Jane Doe
> married John Deer in (the rest is blank).

Is there the date defined for this relationship? What does it say?

Alex

Re: GRAMPS Book Reports - limitation question

Don Allingham
On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 06:55 -0800, Alex Roitman wrote:

> Doug,
>
> On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 21:10 -0800, Douglas Samuels wrote:
> > I'm using the GRAMPS system and have a question regarding your "Book
> > Report".  I can't seem to get information past 10 Generations on the
> > Detailed Ancestral Report.  The graphical diagrams are the same way.
>
> Have you configured the Detailed Ancestral Report to use more
> than 10 generations? If you double-click on the line in the Current
> Book pane of the Book Report dialog then you should be able
> to adjust this parameter. Default is having 10 generations limit,
> but it could be set to anything up to 999.
> >
> > Also, on the Ancestors Report, I get a message saying Relationship
> > Loop Detected.  How do I find out where the error is and how do I fix
> > it?
>
> I can't think of a way right now, but I am out of town.
> Don, can you help here?

Right now, we can detect a loop ( where there is a A->B->A
relationship), but we can't report it cleanly. This is because these
loops typically involve multiple people, and are usually caused be
selected the wrong person of the same name.

So, if we would typically see something like:

A->B->C->D->A->B->C->D (and looping back forever)

The problem is we can tell where the mistake was made, because we don't
know your family tree. We just see a big circle of people.

Don

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>