Re: Gramps actual usage ...

anne-ology
       Thank you for responding.

       Yes, I created a family ... then I added a couple names which are not necessarily connected;
          then I added the person who has siblings & children, but when I clicked on children, it merely added that new person as another, without being connected.

       And I can't figure out how to add parents or siblings.

       I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing; & I'm sure I'll feel very stupid whenever I figure this out, but meanwhile I'm stumped. ;-(

       Hoping this makes sense to someone,

From: Peter Merchant <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Gramps receives high accolades ...
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 08/05/17 20:37, anne-ology wrote:
       ... I'd been meaning to switch to it; now I have a MAC so have to switch or continue to use the IBM-compatible off-line. ;-)

       I've tired using it, have found various tutorials both on the website as well as on UTube, but cannot figure out how to add names. as siblings, children, ... to people ...
          it just adds another person unconnected to others.

       Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I too may enjoy this great program.
 1 Create a Family, using available people or adding the other half if needed.

2. Add child, using the little '+' sign on children tab,  again from available people or as new.

Once you have a list of children, you can shuffle them to see them in date of birth order, or however you want.

Cheers,
Peter M.

Re: Gramps actual usage ...

Craig Treleaven
On May 8, 2017, at 4:17 PM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

       Thank you for responding.

       Yes, I created a family ... then I added a couple names which are not necessarily connected;
          then I added the person who has siblings & children, but when I clicked on children, it merely added that new person as another, without being connected.

       And I can't figure out how to add parents or siblings.

       I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing; & I'm sure I'll feel very stupid whenever I figure this out, but meanwhile I'm stumped. ;-(

       Hoping this makes sense to someone,

Have you seen Richard Suthern’s video tutorials?  He provides a nice introduction to Gramps.  Have a look at:

Start with the oldest video (4.1.1 Overview) and then do Parts 1 & 2 on creating a new tree.

Craig

Re: Gramps actual usage ...

Peter Merchant
On 08/05/17 21:17, anne-ology wrote:
>        Thank you for responding.
>
>        Yes, I created a family ... then I added a couple names which
> are not necessarily connected;
>           then I added the person who has siblings & children, but
> when I clicked on children, it merely added that new person as
> another, without being connected.

You created one family, and added a child and his/her siblings?
Now you need to create another family which is the child that had
children.  and add those children.

I found that doing it this way I have to create each family individually.

Or if you have the father of a person, you have to create his family and
then add that person as a child.  I hope that this makes sense to you.
It hardly does to me this late at night.  I don't think that you have to
add the spouse at this point - You can do it later.

Perhaps Dave's way is better, I have never tried it.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps actual usage ...

anne-ology
       Thank you for responding.

       I can add unique names, but I cannot get these names to associate themselves as a family unit  ;-(

          I'm sure it's something very simple I'm overlooking -
              I downloaded the program from the website (twice in case the first somehow was corrupt) -
              I've viewed those how-to UTube videos, but no mention of how to get the individual names to meld together -

       When I view the graph, each is still by himself???

       I do like a mystery, but this one is driving me nuts ... well, I guess it's the same as those 3 lines which are stuck ca. 1800  ;-)

From: Peter Merchant <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Gramps actual usage ...
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 08/05/17 21:17, anne-ology wrote:

>        Thank you for responding.
>
>        Yes, I created a family ... then I added a couple names which
> are not necessarily connected;
>           then I added the person who has siblings & children, but
> when I clicked on children, it merely added that new person as
> another, without being connected.

You created one family, and added a child and his/her siblings?
Now you need to create another family which is the child that had
children.  and add those children.

I found that doing it this way I have to create each family individually.

Or if you have the father of a person, you have to create his family and
then add that person as a child.  I hope that this makes sense to you.
It hardly does to me this late at night.  I don't think that you have to
add the spouse at this point - You can do it later.

Perhaps Dave's way is better, I have never tried it.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps actual usage ...

Nick Hall
On 10/05/17 21:05, anne-ology wrote:
>        I can add unique names, but I cannot get these names to
> associate themselves as a family unit  ;-(

Click on the Family view in the toolbar on the left-hand side.

In the family view, click "Add" (+) in the main toolbar at the top.
This will open the family editor.

Next to the "Father" label, click the "Select a person as the father"
(finger icon), and select a person from the list.  Next to the "Mother"
label you will see another finger icon to select the mother.

In the "Children" tab you can select children.  Use the finger icon, not
the "+" icon, to select existing children.  The "+" icon will create a
new person.

Re: Gramps actual usage ...

anne-ology
       Thanks for responding.

       I think that's what I've just attempted to do, but then when I attempt to save ... I've clicked that 'find' but nothing ...
          then I attempt to see the list of names again only to find I cannot get back to it, so have to close the program; then when I re-open it all that was on the right-hand side is now gone.

       Now, I don'r know if it's me ... or this new Mac ... or my lack of knowledge with this program ...
              I guess I could go back to my notebook-method - without the easy to find items via the computer,
              I guess I could use the ol' WIN computer for genealogy - but that program has so much in it, I was really looking forward to separating the lines out,

          or I could continue to hope that someone will understand what's causing my problems, so I too can enjoy what I've been hearing is an excellent program,

From: Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM
To: [hidden email]