Re: Gramps and Geni.com (feature request for duplicate-handling and photo-import)

Re: Gramps and Geni.com (feature request for duplicate-handling and photo-import)

Felix Brenk
Hi there,

I am registered with Geni.com and would like to update my Gramps database on a regular basis with the latest status in form of a GEDCOM export/import to Gramps. Lots of my family members are registered with Geni.com, too, and they are updating their data quite regularly at the moment. Especially as our family is still growing (marriages, babies; if you know what I mean :).

Unfortunately Gramps doesn't handle the Geni-ID as unique and therefore I am getting more and more duplicates in my Gramps database with all different IDs by every import. Would it be possible to implement a duplicate-handling for imports as a feature request in future versions of Gramps? I am assuming that therefore it would be necessary to compare, if a Geni-recordset has been updated recently. This could be handled automatically in most cases according to my point of view. The only problem I see are recordsets that have been updated in the local Gramps database meanwhile (differing versions).

I would also be interested in importing our photos from Geni.com. This seemed to have worked in the past with a tool called GedTweak.exe that ran against the GEDCOM export file, automatically downloaded the photos and adjusted the URL to a local path. But that tool is no more up to date and Geni.com as well seems to have changed their URLs recently. So would it be possible eventually to integrate the photos in an online view at least (the URL is stored in the GEDCOM export file I receive from Geni.com)? I am assuming that this would require a login-procedure in some way and Gramps would have to act as a web-browser in a certain point of view?

--

Thanks for listening,
Felix

BTW: I would still be interested in 32-Bit versions of Gramps for both Linux (openSUSE) and Windows operating systems. Currently I am running V 3.3.2 with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit.

Re: Gramps and Geni.com (feature request for duplicate-handling and photo-import)

DS Blank
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Felix Brenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am registered with Geni.com and would like to update my Gramps database on
> a regular basis with the latest status in form of a GEDCOM export/import to
> Gramps. Lots of my family members are registered with Geni.com, too, and
> they are updating their data quite regularly at the moment. Especially as
> our family is still growing (marriages, babies; if you know what I mean :).
>
> Unfortunately Gramps doesn't handle the Geni-ID as unique and therefore I am
> getting more and more duplicates in my Gramps database with all different
> IDs by every import. Would it be possible to implement a duplicate-handling
> for imports as a feature request in future versions of Gramps? I am assuming
> that therefore it would be necessary to compare, if a Geni-recordset has
> been updated recently. This could be handled automatically in most cases
> according to my point of view. The only problem I see are recordsets that
> have been updated in the local Gramps database meanwhile (differing
> versions).

We are currently discussing this for the next version of Gramps. Could
you send a copy (or point to a copy on the web) of such a GEDCOM with
unique ID?

> I would also be interested in importing our photos from Geni.com. This
> seemed to have worked in the past with a tool called GedTweak.exe that ran
> against the GEDCOM export file, automatically downloaded the photos and
> adjusted the URL to a local path. But that tool is no more up to date and
> Geni.com as well seems to have changed their URLs recently. So would it be
> possible eventually to integrate the photos in an online view at least (the
> URL is stored in the GEDCOM export file I receive from Geni.com)? I am
> assuming that this would require a login-procedure in some way and Gramps
> would have to act as a web-browser in a certain point of view?

This could be an easy addition. Could you provide a GEDCOM with such
media links in it? If you had a test account with images behind a
login, that would be excellent.

The merge and UID issue tracker is here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2623

Images from GEDCOM files is related to this issue:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5729

-Doug

> --
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Felix
>
> BTW: I would still be interested in 32-Bit versions of Gramps for both Linux
> (openSUSE) and Windows operating systems. Currently I am running V 3.3.2
> with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit.

Re: Gramps and Geni.com (feature request for duplicate-handling and photo-import)

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Felix Brenk wrote
I would also be interested in importing our photos from Geni.com. This
seemed to have worked in the past with a tool called GedTweak.exe that
ran against the GEDCOM export file, automatically downloaded the photos
and adjusted the URL to a local path. But that tool is no more up to
date and Geni.com as well seems to have changed their URLs recently. So
would it be possible eventually to integrate the photos in an online
view at least (the URL is stored in the GEDCOM export file I receive
from Geni.com)? I am assuming that this would require a login-procedure
in some way and Gramps would have to act as a web-browser in a certain
point of view?
I have written a gramplet to download photos from websites. You import the GEDCOM so it creates Gramps media objects, then run the gramplet to import the photos and change the location of the media files accordingly. I did this a little while ago, so I don't know whether the change in URLs has broken it. The gramplet prompts for a login name and password.

Unfortunately, I am still trying to work out how to organise my add-ons development so I can upload the file to the correct place. I have uploaded a zip file to nabble - never done that before, so don't know whether it will work.

DownloadMedia.zip