Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Josip
We drop mysql support.
Gramps-alpha2 works with SQLite3 or PostgreSQL.
Windows build of alpha2 contains everything needed for both.

Josip

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Paul Franklin-5
> Are there any plans for Debian binaries (like in aplha1)? I can install
> from sources, but using the packages is easier...

It's coming.  Please be patient.  We are all volunteers.

"Rome wasn't built in a day."

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

I run the windows version (alpha1 in past and now  alpha2) using a
remote connection to my Debian server running Postgresql 9.6.

There were a couple of minor problems with the PostgreSQL plugin code,
but these are/were easily fixed. Performance is not as good as using
local data source, but that is to be expected.

Waiting for alph2 for Debian. Might build it myself.
JohnA

On 6/12/17 9:53 AM, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> On 10/06/17 03:51 PM, Josip wrote:
>> The Gramps team releases version v5.0.0-alpha2, an experimental
>> pre-release.
>>
>> You can get Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 from the GitHub page.
>> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases
>>
>> Think on backup before upgrade!
>>
>> Thank you all!
>>
> Nice... I plan on testing it with an external MariaDB (InnoDB)
> database... Out of curiosity will it work fine with multiple users
> connecting on the same database at the same time? I'm not too much
> concerned about the possible issue of having two users try to change the
> same object, which should fail if transactions are used. (From
> experience the two most likely source of issues would be long-running
> transactions and local caching of data... if data is read every time and
> change are committed instantly then it should work fine...)
>
> Are there any plans for Debian binaries (like in aplha1)? I can install
> from sources, but using the packages is easier...
>
> Also I'd need the MadiaDB* bindings in Windows... I remember someone
> asked for the PostgreSQL ones on the archives, they had to be compiled
> specifically for the Python interpreter used by Gramps. Considering that
> 5.0 supports external databases I think the bindings for supported
> backends should be included.
>
> *MySQL and MariaDB APIs are mostly 100% compatible, but I cannot seem to
> connect using "browser-style" trusted SSL certs using the MySQL library
> in Linux... I can preload the MariaDB library to make it work and the
> next Debian release will be compiled against the MariaDB version... In
> Windows I guess it should use whatever library is installed (MariaDB or
> MySQL), is that assumption correct? I know I can connect with MariaDB
> libraries but I haven't tested MySQL.
>
> Regards,

---

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

It has the same problems that was there in the stuff u & i were laying with a few of days back.

I have tried to report the problem and my "fix", but for some reason I cannot register. So I will post them here and maybe somebody can push them to the devlopers.

=============
all these changes are to postgresql.py

Add this line (should be after line 67)
       query = query.replace("BLOB", "bytea")

after the following

    def _hack_query(self, query):
        query = query.replace("?", "%s")
        query = query.replace("REGEXP", "~")
        query = query.replace("desc", "desc_")                                  ..... this should be line 67 YMMV

=============

change the following line (should be line 118)
                              "WHERE table_name=?", [table])

                             "WHERE table_name=%s;", [table])

=============

Hope this helps

JohnA

On 6/12/17 11:20 AM, josip wrote:
We drop mysql support.
Gramps-alpha2 works with SQLite3 or PostgreSQL.
Windows build of alpha2 contains everything needed for both.

Josip

> The Gramps team releases version v5.0.0-alpha2, an experimental
> pre-release.
>
> You can get Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 from the GitHub page.
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases
>
> Think on backup before upgrade!
>
> Thank you all!

Nice... I plan on testing it with an external MariaDB (InnoDB)
database... Out of curiosity will it work fine with multiple users
connecting on the same database at the same time? I'm not too much
concerned about the possible issue of having two users try to change the
same object, which should fail if transactions are used. (From
experience the two most likely source of issues would be long-running
transactions and local caching of data... if data is read every time and
change are committed instantly then it should work fine...)

Are there any plans for Debian binaries (like in aplha1)? I can install
from sources, but using the packages is easier...

Also I'd need the MadiaDB* bindings in Windows... I remember someone
asked for the PostgreSQL ones on the archives, they had to be compiled
specifically for the Python interpreter used by Gramps. Considering that
5.0 supports external databases I think the bindings for supported
backends should be included.

*MySQL and MariaDB APIs are mostly 100% compatible, but I cannot seem to
connect using "browser-style" trusted SSL certs using the MySQL library
in Linux... I can preload the MariaDB library to make it work and the
next Debian release will be compiled against the MariaDB version... In
Windows I guess it should use whatever library is installed (MariaDB or
MySQL), is that assumption correct? I know I can connect with MariaDB
libraries but I haven't tested MySQL.

Thomas

unresolved dependancies is alpha2

Minor, I hope, problem Debian stretch, current version of

     libosmgpsmap  is 1.0.1

     python-pyicu is 1.9.5-1

Both are installed.

On 13/06/17 12:32 AM, Paul Franklin wrote:

> On 6/12/17, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Are there any plans for Debian binaries (like in aplha1)? I can install
>>> from sources, but using the packages is easier...
>> It's coming.  Please be patient.  We are all volunteers.
> The Debian 5.0.0-alpha2 is now on
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases

Re: unresolved dependancies is alpha2

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 13/06/2017 à 12:34, john via Gramps-users a écrit :
> Minor, I hope, problem Debian stretch, current version of
>
>     libosmgpsmap  is 1.0.1
You normaly need : gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0

>     python-pyicu is 1.9.5-1
>
> Both are installed.

>>> It's coming.  Please be patient.  We are all volunteers.
>> The Debian 5.0.0-alpha2 is now on
>> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases
Serge

NdK

Il 12/06/2017 17:20, josip ha scritto:

> We drop mysql support.
Just temporarily or permanently?

> Gramps-alpha2 works with SQLite3 or PostgreSQL.
I too preferred PostgreSQL, but MySQL is easier (and cheaper) to find on
shared hosting plans...

BYtE,
 Diego

On 6/13/17, john via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Minor, I hope, problem Debian stretch, current version of
>
>      libosmgpsmap  is 1.0.1
>
>      python-pyicu is 1.9.5-1
>
> Both are installed.

I don't run Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/etc. so this is just a guess,
but perhaps you need python3-pyicu instead (if there is such
a package, that is).

But PyICU is optional and gramps will run without it (especially
in English).  It helps with sorting non-English alphabets, IIRC.