Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Peter Merchant
I have replaced my version 4 gramps with 5-Alpha2 on my Zorin 10 laptop.
The two trees that already were there updated well, and I imported
another few successfully.

Now trying to figure out how to add graphview to it as that is my
main/usual way of working.

Thanks to all the developers.

Peter M

On 10/06/17 23:18, Paul Franklin wrote:

>> The Gramps team releases version v5.0.0-alpha2, an experimental
>> pre-release.
>> Think on backup before upgrade!
> The key word is "experimental"!
>
> It might be unwise to "upgrade" your main/real gramps
> family tree into 5.0.0-alpha2.  In general, we recommend
> you make a copy of your family tree instead (typically by
> doing a "gramps XML" export), then try 5.0.0-alpha2 on
> the copy.  (You can keep things really separate by using
> the GRAMPSHOME environmental variable, if you want.)
>
> It's been about a year since 5.0.0-alpha1 was released
> so we are interested in your feedback, especially if you
> discover any bugs or problems which we haven't noticed.
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_the_bug_tracker
>
> Please file a bug report (selecting the "5.0.0-alpha2"
> version) if you find one.  We want testers for alpha2,
> but only if you are sophisticated and resilient enough
> to know how to keep it away from your real data.

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/4/17, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have replaced my version 4 gramps with 5-Alpha2 ...

It's up to you what you do, but we do not advise this.

The 5.0.0-alpha2 release is known to have bugs.

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Jim Bruce
Can we run 5.0.0-alpha2 beside 4.2.5?

Jim

On 04/07/17 17:29, Paul Franklin wrote:
> On 7/4/17, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have replaced my version 4 gramps with 5-Alpha2 ...
> It's up to you what you do, but we do not advise this.
>
> The 5.0.0-alpha2 release is known to have bugs.
> .

I know, but it is a play computer, so it doesn't matter what happens. As
it happens v5 overwrote v4 and converted/upgraded the existing databases.

Maybe as the other user asks one can run both versions on the same
computer, but I wasn't given the option.

Peter M.

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/4/17, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know, but it is a play computer, so it doesn't matter what happens.

If you had said that in your original message ("play computer"),
I would not have bothered to comment.

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Paul Franklin-5
> Maybe as the other user asks one can run both versions on the same
> computer, but I wasn't given the option.

I do not run gramps on a Mac or Windows (at least generally),
so this should not be thought of as authoritative, but I understand
that gramps users on a Mac or Windows can have multiple
versions of gramps simultaneously on their machines.  I do
not know if the family trees (databases) are kept separate or
are merged/shared, but caution should be exercised so that a
"real" database is not touched by alpha2.

I do not run Debian linux either, or any of its variants (Ubuntu,
Mint, etc.), but in general any prepackaged linux program will
think it knows where it wants to be installed, and that will be
the same for different versions, typically.  I believe that can be
overridden, but that should only be done by users who know
how to do it.  Similarly, gramps can be run "from source" but
again that use is typically beyond the abilities of an ordinary
user and I don't plan to risk describing it.

"For technically advanced users who run multiple versions of
Gramps, setting a different $GRAMPSHOME is a way to avoid
interference between the different versions in the Gramps user
directory" is from:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#GRAMPSHOME

Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 5.0.0-alpha2 released

Alan Pine
I use Linux on my notebook for my main work and have Gramps
4.<something>  installed on Win7 running in VirtualBox. I use the
Windows version for playing around, and also for merging my multiple
trees into a single tree. With an extra screen it's easy to see what's
in both trees at the same time.

Haven't wanted to install the 5.0.0 Alpha version on either Linux or
Win7 at this stage but someone may want to give it a try and see how
they get on.

Alan