Re: [Gramps-devel] Printed manuals

Steve Hall-4

Don,

Just one voice here, but I would rather see the extra effort going
into refining the manual than printing it. Hopefully, GRAMPS features
are easy and intuitive enough that a thick book isn't necessary. A
good, concise online PDF of the guide (read current) could then be
downloaded by any user and have only about 20 pages of printing.

Steve

Re: Re: [Gramps-devel] Printed manuals

Alex Roitman
Steve,

On 08/15/2005 03:53:53 PM, Steve Hall wrote:

> Just one voice here, but I would rather see the extra effort going
> into refining the manual than printing it. Hopefully, GRAMPS features
> are easy and intuitive enough that a thick book isn't necessary. A
> good, concise online PDF of the guide (read current) could then be
> downloaded by any user and have only about 20 pages of printing.

We already offer PDF manual, and it's 131 pages. I hate to admit
that I am responsible for most of the bloat, but I don't see how
we can remove any large portion of it without sacrificing the
quality (and thus helpfulness) of the manual.

The manual readable for the geeks is probably aimed at the wrong
crowd. The manual for Aunt Martha has to be detailed enough.
Where are we in this tradeoff?

I am open to suggestions though :-)

Alex

Re: Re: [Gramps-devel] Printed manuals

Bret Busby
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Alex Roitman wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On 08/15/2005 03:53:53 PM, Steve Hall wrote:
>>
>> Just one voice here, but I would rather see the extra effort going
>> into refining the manual than printing it. Hopefully, GRAMPS features
>> are easy and intuitive enough that a thick book isn't necessary. A
>> good, concise online PDF of the guide (read current) could then be
>> downloaded by any user and have only about 20 pages of printing.
>
> We already offer PDF manual, and it's 131 pages. I hate to admit
> that I am responsible for most of the bloat, but I don't see how
> we can remove any large portion of it without sacrificing the
> quality (and thus helpfulness) of the manual.
>
> The manual readable for the geeks is probably aimed at the wrong
> crowd. The manual for Aunt Martha has to be detailed enough.
> Where are we in this tradeoff?
>
> I am open to suggestions though :-)
>
> Alex

Without having read the PDF file, I suggest that a well-written PDF file
should be sufficient. If the file is written for the "Aunt Martha"
crowd, then it should be able to do the job for everyone. It would then
be simply a matter of a person printing the file, then storing it in a
ring-binder, or stapling it with a staple gun, and that should e
adequate, for a reference manual.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Re: [Gramps-devel] Printed manuals

Richard Griffith
Bret Busby wrote:
> Without having read the PDF file, I suggest that a well-written PDF file
> should be sufficient. If the file is written for the "Aunt Martha"
> crowd, then it should be able to do the job for everyone. It would then
> be simply a matter of a person printing the file, then storing it in a
> ring-binder, or stapling it with a staple gun, and that should e
> adequate, for a reference manual.

That is about two more steps than my "Aunt Martha" could ever get
through. I can hear the voice over the phone, "I've printed it 6 times,
and it gets to page 40, and I run out of paper and have to start over."
Seriously, I hear things like that. If she didn't make such good apple
pie, people would have given up on her long ago ;) If there is no
substantial cost (both money and effort) to offering the printed
version, it would seem like a worthwhile option. The larger the page
count, the more attractive the pre-printed option would become for some
people.

Just one man's opinion, though.
-Richard