Re: [Gramps-devel] Problem with custom events

Re: [Gramps-devel] Problem with custom events

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:33:39 +0000
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug,

>Where is such a file for custom events to be found?

As Nick has said, there isn't one; custom events are added to the
database itself.  That's why when you (for example) change all custom
events called Perished to Rotten, Perished still appears in the dropdown
list. The only way to rid yourself of the now redundant event name is to
save a copy of your db and then import it into a *new* database.
Probably after closing Gramps and restarting it.

Ideally, of course, it should be possible to delete unused/unwanted
custom event names without having to go through the rigmarole detailed
above.  I suspect, however, that it's not possible due to the way the
database works - I'm no db expert.

I believe that, with Gramps5, comes the possibility of using different
database back ends.  A change to using MySQL (for example) would allow
Gramps users to use already existing tools to operate on the database
directly.  I offer this info with a big red WARNING:  Should anybody try
that sort of thing, they may well be entirely on their own, because that
then becomes an issue that is entirely outside the scope of Gramps
support.  That said, I don't doubt there will be sympathetic people here
that would be happy to try and help, but you'd still be better of asking
in a MySQL (to use my example again) support forum.

--
 Regards  _
Junk floats on polluted water

Re: [Gramps-devel] Problem with custom events

Nick Hall
On 11/03/18 15:43, Brad Rogers wrote:
> I believe that, with Gramps5, comes the possibility of using different
> database back ends.  A change to using MySQL (for example) would allow
> Gramps users to use already existing tools to operate on the database
> directly.  I offer this info with a big red WARNING:  Should anybody try
> that sort of thing, they may well be entirely on their own, because that
> then becomes an issue that is entirely outside the scope of Gramps
> support.  That said, I don't doubt there will be sympathetic people here
> that would be happy to try and help, but you'd still be better of asking
> in a MySQL (to use my example again) support forum.

The DBAPI backends (Sqlite and PostgreSQL) still store objects as
pickled blobs, so manipulating them outside of Gramps will not be easy.

Using the MongoDB backend will allow you to read the data directly, but
it isn't ready for production use yet.

On 03/11/2018 12:15 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 11/03/18 15:43, Brad Rogers wrote:
[snip]
> The DBAPI backends (Sqlite and PostgreSQL) still store objects as pickled
> blobs, so manipulating them outside of Gramps will not be easy.
>
> Using the MongoDB backend will allow you to read the data directly, but it
> isn't ready for production use yet.

Are you building a generic JSON interface?

Re: [Gramps-devel] Problem with custom events

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 17:15:12 +0000
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Nick,

>The DBAPI backends (Sqlite and PostgreSQL) still store objects as
>pickled blobs, so manipulating them outside of Gramps will not be easy.

I never said it would be *easy*.   :-)

Point taken, though:-  Probably not a job for the faint-hearted.

--
 Regards  _
Did you do it for fame, did you do it in a fit?

On 11/03/18 18:44, Ron Johnson wrote:
Using the MongoDB backend will allow you to read the data directly, but it isn't ready for production use yet.

Are you building a generic JSON interface?

We have a module that converts Gramps objects into JSON.  The MongoDB backend stores BSON instead of pickled blobs.  This enables a power user to query the database directly.  It would be possible to use a similar approach in Sqlite.

What exactly do you mean by "generic JSON interface"?

On 03/11/2018 08:01 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 11/03/18 18:44, Ron Johnson wrote:
Using the MongoDB backend will allow you to read the data directly, but it isn't ready for production use yet.

Are you building a generic JSON interface?

We have a module that converts Gramps objects into JSON.  The MongoDB backend stores BSON instead of pickled blobs.  This enables a power user to query the database directly.  It would be possible to use a similar approach in Sqlite.

What exactly do you mean by "generic JSON interface"?

Just as SQLite and BSDDB use the DBAPI, I wonder if there's a JSON API.

On 12/03/18 13:33, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> What exactly do you mean by "generic JSON interface"?
>>

> Just as SQLite and BSDDB use the DBAPI, I wonder if there's a JSON API.

Relational databases use DBAPI, in our case,  SQLite and PostgreSQL.
BSDDB and MongoDB are not relational databases.

All database backends have to implement our API interface.  JSON is just
one way to store data.

I'll write a wiki page for MongoDB to give some examples of how your
data can be accessed without using Gramps.