Re: [Gramps-devel] comparing gramps databases

Re: [Gramps-devel] comparing gramps databases

Doug-11
Thanks, Paul.
I think database differences report is what I need.
I haven't got round to installing gramps 5.0 yet; would you
recommend upgrading?

Doug

On 13/03/18 22:46, Paul Culley wrote:

> I think you want to look at the database differences report.
>
> The Gramps 5.0.0 Import and Merge tool can be used to show
> differences as well, and can be used to update the primary
> tree with data from the second.
>
> As with all such tools, backup first...
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Doug
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Recently I posted regarding a problem with custom event
>     types getting detached and listed as Unused Objects, but
>     it now seems I have a much more serious problem: a lot
>     of objects have got detached from their references; and
>     worse still, in some cases, re-attached in the wrong places.
>
>     I need to be able to compare my current database with
>     some earlier versions to see just what has got scrambled.
>
>     I think I remember compare and merge tools for gramps
>     databases being discussed some while ago on the mailing
>     lists. Can anyone tell me how far that got?
>
>     Any other suggestions for dealing with this really
>     s....y situation would be most welcome.
>
>     Doug

Re: [Gramps-devel] comparing gramps databases

prculley
Yes I do recommend upgrading. That way we can get lots more testing done on it. But be aware that it is considered beta-level software and probably still has some bugs. I think the bugs are probably about the same quantity and annoyance  as is in the currently available in 4.2.8.

Just make sure you have lots of XML backups in case something should go wrong and you need to revert to the older version.

Paul Culley