Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Josip,
I used your recipe and created a windows installer using grampsAIO 4.2.0.beta2 and gramps-maintenance-gramps42 which I downloaded from github two days ago.
There are two questions:
How should I name the version and build?

Is it right that way?

!define APPNAME "GrampsAIO64"
!define APPVERSION "4.2.0"
!define APPBUILD "1"
!define APPNAMEANDVERSION "${APPNAME} ${APPVERSION}"
!define APP_PUBLISHER "The GRAMPS project"
!define APP_WEB_SITE "http://gramps-project.org"
BrandingText "Version ${APPVERSION} -- Final version"

in the nsi file I commented this line out because of not found error:
;ReserveFile "${NSISDIR}\Plugins\x86-ansi\*.dll"

I dont know if this has an effect.

This is the end of the creation protocol:

Output: "C:\Users\Frink\Downloads\GrampsAIO64-4.2.1\src\GrampsAIO-4.2.0-1_win64.exe"
Install: 7 pages (448 bytes), 2 sections (1 required) (2096 bytes), 47115 instructions (1319220 bytes), 19142 strings (723140 bytes), 1 language table (346 bytes).
Uninstall: 3 pages (192 bytes),
1 section (1048 bytes), 314 instructions (8792 bytes), 161 strings (2333 bytes), 1 language table (254 bytes).
Datablock optimizer saved 392286606 bytes (~49.7%).

Using lzma (compress whole) compression.

EXE header size:              167424 / 34816 bytes
Install code:                          (2045626 bytes)
Install data:                          (396631519 bytes)
Uninstall code+data:                   (52075 bytes)
Compressed data:            88128264 / 398729220 bytes
CRC (0x5F11FF8F):                  4 / 4 bytes

Total size:                 88295692 / 398764040 bytes (22.1%)

Testing the installer worked fine

If there are no other remarks: Where should I put the file and could one of the devellopers test as it is my first installer.

cheers
Uli

11. 08. 2015. u 0:13, jecxz112 je napisao/la:
> Is there any sort of 'recipe' or batch file available
> anywhere which would allow
> someone else to make up such packages, something like very
> general - at least for
> me at this stage comment regarding the Nullsoft script
> referred to
> on the gramps wiki? ( How GrampsAIO was made)

GrampsAIO package is rebuildable.
Look at src\gramps.nsi in any AIO package.
When used with NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) new AIO package
will be created in src folder.

What you need is to install new Gramps in to your existing GrampsAIO
installation, change version number at start of gramps.nsi and run that
script.
How to install Gramps from release tarball, or development version was
discussed earlier on the list.

--
Josip

14. 08. 2015. u 21:35, Hans Ulrich Frink je napisao/la:

> Josip,
> I used your recipe and created a windows installer using grampsAIO
> 4.2.0.beta2 and gramps-maintenance-gramps42 which I downloaded from
> github two days ago.
> There are two questions:
> How should I name the version and build?
>
> Is it right that way?
>
> !define APPNAME "GrampsAIO64"
> !define APPVERSION "4.2.0"
> !define APPBUILD "1"
> !define APPNAMEANDVERSION "${APPNAME} ${APPVERSION}"
> !define APP_PUBLISHER "The GRAMPS project"
> !define APP_WEB_SITE "http://gramps-project.org"
> BrandingText "Version ${APPVERSION} -- Final version"
>
> in the nsi file I commented this line out because of not found error:
> ;ReserveFile "${NSISDIR}\Plugins\x86-ansi\*.dll"
>
> I dont know if this has an effect.
>
> This is the end of the creation protocol:
>
> Output:
> "C:\Users\Frink\Downloads\GrampsAIO64-4.2.1\src\GrampsAIO-4.2.0-1_win64.exe"
> Install: 7 pages (448 bytes), 2 sections (1 required) (2096 bytes),
> 47115 instructions (1319220 bytes), 19142 strings (723140 bytes), 1
> language table (346 bytes).
> Uninstall: 3 pages (192 bytes),
> 1 section (1048 bytes), 314 instructions (8792 bytes), 161 strings (2333
> bytes), 1 language table (254 bytes).
> Datablock optimizer saved 392286606 bytes (~49.7%).
>
> Using lzma (compress whole) compression.
>
> EXE header size:              167424 / 34816 bytes
> Install code:                          (2045626 bytes)
> Install data:                          (396631519 bytes)
> Uninstall code+data:                   (52075 bytes)
> Compressed data:            88128264 / 398729220 bytes
> CRC (0x5F11FF8F):                  4 / 4 bytes
>
> Total size:                 88295692 / 398764040 bytes (22.1%)
>

> Testing the installer worked fine
>
> If there are no other remarks: Where should I put the file and could one
> of the devellopers test as it is my first installer.

If you are really using gramps-4.2.0 release then naming is right and
file should be put in:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.0/

But if you use git version from 2 days ago as you said then that is not
4.2.0 and shouldn't be named like that.
Use git hash in name for avoiding confusion (for developers to know
which code it contain in case of bug report)
Usually it is a good idea to include revision number before short hash,
as it allows better sorting and it is easier for ordinary user to see
which snapshot is newer.

To make such version string type this in your working directory (if you
not update them since then):

printf "r%s-%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" \
"$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"

for example for last commit in gramps42 branch that will return:
r23134-98409ca
use such string for "APPBUILD"

Such installer was usually put in
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/
but i think that is better to create
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.0/Snapshot
and put it there.

--
Josip

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Helge.Herz-2
Hi Hans,
great that you are willing to continue the AIO.
I just got the information about your first package on google+. I'll go
for trials within the next few days (today and tomorrow I'm on a trip).

One question: Is it really a good idea to make a 64bit package? There
are still a lot win user using 32bit systems. A 32bit AIO runs well and
without any trouble or any real world restriction on 64bit win.

regards
-Helge

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

DS Blank
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Helge.Herz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hans,
great that you are willing to continue the AIO.
I just got the information about your first package on google+. I'll go
for trials within the next few days (today and tomorrow I'm on a trip).

Thank you Hans for this! Also, can you commit any changes back to the files in https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/tree/master/windows  ... it would be great to keep those up to date.

-Doug

One question: Is it really a good idea to make a 64bit package? There
are still a lot win user using 32bit systems. A 32bit AIO runs well and
without any trouble or any real world restriction on 64bit win.

regards
-Helge

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Helge.Privat
Hi Uli,

up today I did found this issue only:
After some actions (currently I can't reproduce the way to get it, but
it was there more than one time) the Gramps main window is forced to be
always on top. So every Gramps editor window stays behind. That's a
killing issue if Gramps runs maximized, because there is no way to get
access to the editor window and so the main window is blocked for any
access.
But the Gramps main window is general always on top in this case. Also
any other window has to stay behind.

- Helge

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Tim Lyons
Administrator

Hans,

I would repeat what has already been said, it is great that someone is taking up the building of the Windows version, especially since this is BY FAR he most popular download.

However, I would also repeat the request to build the 4.2.0 tagged version, not one that is some number of commits ahead. If we don't have all the platforms at the same commit level, we will get into a real mess when we try to evaluate bugs etc.

If there is a real problem that is revealed in the Windows version (e.g. about the main window always being on top), then the thing to do would be never to release a 4.2.0 Windows version, but to update the gramps42 branch with the fix, and then release a 4.2.1 version (someone else can do the tagging at the appropriate time before you access the repository to get the exact 4.2.1 version). Then the other platforms would update to 4.2.1 in due course.

Regards,
Tim.

Regards,
Tim.

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

19. 08. 2015. u 22:29, Tim Lyons je napisao/la:
> However, I would also repeat the request to build the 4.2.0 tagged version,
> not one that is some number of commits ahead. If we don't have all the
> platforms at the same commit level, we will get into a real mess when we try
> to evaluate bugs etc.

We use git for development so we only need to know hash number of Gramps
to evaluate bugs.

--
Josip

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Josip wrote

to evaluate bugs.
While that is true, it does make it difficult to keep the bug tracker consistent. As Sam (almost) points out, we really don't want to have to tag bugs against a range of different hash numbers.

Re: [Gramps-users] Is it planned that gramps 4.2 will be available for windows?

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Today I downloaded gramps-4.2.0.tar.gz and I hope that I can use this 4.2.0 together with grampsAIO4.1.3 to build a grampsAIO4.2.0. I will try that on this weekend.
The problem with the editor window is a bug, which has not been solved yet.
As I dont have writing permission I cannot put the installer on sourceforge. So I would put it on google drive and ask someone to put it on sourceforge.
cheers
Uli

[...]

Nick Hall
On 21/08/15 12:29, Hans Ulrich Frink wrote:
> As I dont have writing permission I cannot put the installer on
> sourceforge. So I would put it on google drive and ask someone to put
> it on sourceforge.

Let me know your SF account and I'll set you up as a release technician.