Re: [Gramps-users] Polygons of historical places

Re: [Gramps-users] Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
[...copying this to Gramps-devel too]

I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
haven't seen one for a list of them.

Obviously, it would be possible to store them as separate records in a
polygon table but there's a specific ordering that must additionally be
represented -- you can't just join them in any order.

    Tony Proctor

Re: [Gramps-users] Polygons of historical places

Tom Hughes
On 11/09/14 14:28, Tony Proctor wrote:

> I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
> representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
> polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
> haven't seen one for a list of them.

I'm not sure which ISO standard you referring to - it's not like there
are a huge number of options for how to write a pair of coordinates, and
to be honest no two geo-standards can agree on which order lat and lon
should be written in...

The best known way traditionally of writing geometries has been using
the WKT format:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text

Other options are things like GeoJSON or KML all of which support very
similar options to WKT in terms of how they describe geometries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: [Gramps-users] Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
Thanks Tom. I was thinking of ISO 6709 which encodes them in a single text
field. If there were multiple pairs then that same text field could
implicitly order them (although I don't know what separator would be
recommended). In a database table, though, then it gets a bit verbose
because you would also need an ordinal indicator plus a foreign key (to
group them), and I see no advantage over simply putting them all in a single
text field.

    Tony

>> I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
>> representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
>> polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
>> haven't seen one for a list of them.
>
> I'm not sure which ISO standard you referring to - it's not like there are
> a huge number of options for how to write a pair of coordinates, and to be
> honest no two geo-standards can agree on which order lat and lon should be
> written in...
>
> The best known way traditionally of writing geometries has been using the
> WKT format:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text
>
> Other options are things like GeoJSON or KML all of which support very
> similar options to WKT in terms of how they describe geometries.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
> http://compton.nu/

Re: [Gramps-users] Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
Actually, because all point coordinates have a trailing '/' in ISO 6709 then
serialising a list with no other separator works just fine  :-)

    Tony