Re: Help! Virus?

Steve Carter
I had a similar experience to Lynda,  <[hidden email]> , in that
after upgrading to 4.2.2, my Linux installation of gramps first started
to crash when trying to look at the person view sorted by last names;
then when looking at the person view.  It was very much like there was a
bug or virus in the program that just kept making things worse since
initially the crash would occur only infrequently then more often, then
always.  Removing 4.2.2 and reinstalling 4.2.1 didn't help.  I got some
*TERRIBLE* advice in another forum that suggested removing and
reinstalling Python3 in my Linux partition might solve it.  DO NOT DO
THIS!  It killed my whole Ubuntu 12.04 install!  Fortunately, I had
several recent XML backups to Dropbox, and my media folder was saved in
CrashPlan.

At that point, I decided that I'd had it,  gave up and decided to use my
Windows partition for Gramps while I figured out how to resurrect
Ubuntu.  I installed Gramps (the most current version available is
4.2.1) for Windows, loaded my backup and was back in business.  However,
that evening my Windows antivirus program (F-Secure) detected what it
decided was a virus in the 4.2.1 files and quarantined it. The virus was
described as "W32/Generic.a8a3bd7909!Online" .

I guess that I'm glad it's not just me, but this is something that ought
to be looked into.

Steve

Re: Help! Virus?

jerome
Steve,

> "crash when trying to look at the person view sorted by
 last names"

Like bug report #9166 [1]?

> "It was very much like there was a
 bug or virus in the program that just kept making things
 worse since initially the crash would occur only infrequently then more
 often, then always."

Under linux ?

> "I got some *TERRIBLE* advice in another forum that suggested removing
 and reinstalling Python3 in my Linux partition"

Yes, it sounds unsafe as python is often a core library on most desktops
available under linux. e.g., scripts on launch, monitoring, etc ...

It looks like an advice for people under Windows OS !

> "It killed my whole Ubuntu 12.04 install!"

I suppose to crash python (daemon or whatever) should not kill
your installation. If you had restarted your computer after
removing Python3 (you do not need to do that!), then maybe
you will have to restore Python3 via command line as
your desktop session will no more properly
work. Anyway, you are right it was not an advice: you do not
need to remove python3.

> "W32/Generic.a8a3bd7909!Online"

"Generic" word sounds like an heuristic check?
https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/other_w32_generic.shtml

Did you submit the detected file?
https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/other_w32_generic.shtml

regards,
Jérôme

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9166

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] Help! Virus?
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Jeudi 14 janvier 2016, 20h27

[...]

 Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application
 Performance
 APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just
 $35/Month
 Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective
 actions now
 Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup
 Now!

Re: Help! Virus?

Steve Carter
> Like bug report #9166 [1]?
Yes, it was reported as #9166

> Under linux ?

That's what surprises me.  I've never had a virus using Ubuntu, but
Gramps 4.2.2 behaved very much like it had one. First, the
sort-people-by-surname didn't work occasionally; then more often and
then always; then simply looking at people crashed occasionally; then
more often and then always; finally, the relationships tab did the same
thing, with the same error message. Reinstalling 4.2.1 didn't make any
difference.  Using your test database had the same response. That's when
I tried the stupid mistake of deleting Python.  I will say that
restoring an XML backup to the Windows version of Gramps went smoothly
and I have had no trouble since then.  I can access the files in my
Linux partition from Windows, but even though I tried to reinstall
Python3 using the command line, it still won't load properly.  I may
wait until the next LTS version of Ubuntu and install that.  I miss
Ubuntu...

Re: Help! Virus?

On 01/16/2016 10:30 AM, Steve Carter wrote:
[snip]
> Linux partition from Windows, but even though I tried to reinstall
> Python3 using the command line, it still won't load properly.  I may
> wait until the next LTS version of Ubuntu and install that.  I miss
> Ubuntu...

What's the error message.  Lot's of Ubuntu users on the list...

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Help! Virus?

> "I can access the files in my Linux partition from Windows"

Did you install your linux distribution on a device with FAT32 file format???

What about swap space?

On 1/16/2016 10:48 AM, jerome wrote:
>>   "I can access the files in my Linux partition from Windows"
> Did you install your linux distribution on a device with FAT32 file format???
>
> What about swap space?

   The hard disk is formatted NTFS as is the Linux swap space, not
FAT32.  I can access both of them from Windows using a utility
(DiskInternals Linux Reader) that was designed for that purpose. I had
been running Ubuntu in this configuration for over a year, and Gramps
for > 9 months before anything happened.

Re: Help! Virus?

TJMcK
I have been following this thread,  and there must be others like me who have had no indications that there is a bug or virus (so far).  I've been using Gramps 4.2.2 every day, since a few days after it was released -- I am using Xubuntu 15.10, which I installed fresh a couple weeks ago on an internal SSD. (I run Gramps on my home server and access it remotely from other Linux systems -- no Windows or full installs of Wine currently on any of my devices.)  And incidentally, I've run Ubuntu and other linux distros w/o any virus in over 15 years! (However my experience with attempted hacks are another thing...)

But, I do hope that these issues can be resolved soon, for all those involved...