Quantcast

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

Dave Scheipers
Hi Anders

I have just one database containing all of my people and many side shoots that seem promising. If you were to merge your two databases, that will take care of maintaining the overlapping people. Merge these people to link the trees. You may even find other people shared between the two files.

Don't forget to merge overlapping sources/citations and places, media etc. Merging the databases will allow just one set of place records..

When you need to share a tree with others, you can export just the relevant branches. You can create a set of filters to select a person, find all of their ancestors, then have gramps find all of the descendants of those relatives.

If you need help with filters, let us know. Filters are not always intuitive.

Hope this helped, Dave


On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Anders Ardo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
  I'm maintaining 2 family trees as separate databases in Gramps. The
family trees are partially overlapping in a fairly complicated way, ie
both trees contain people not in the other tree, and neither is a true
sub-tree of the other. I need to be able to export and share each tree
separately.

What options do I have within Gramps for doing this so that I don't
have to update shared people in two databases?

--
Hilsen
Anders
----
Anders Ardö

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

paul womack
Anders Ardo wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm maintaining 2 family trees as separate databases in Gramps. The
> family trees are partially overlapping in a fairly complicated way, ie
> both trees contain people not in the other tree, and neither is a true
> sub-tree of the other. I need to be able to export and share each tree
> separately.
>
> What options do I have within Gramps for doing this so that I don't
> have to update shared people in two databases?

1 database, sub-tree via filters.

  BugBear


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by Dave Scheipers
Hi Anders

1
is actually two filters
Under Person Filter Editor, create a filter with these conditions
Filter 1
>> General Filters >> Person with <Id>

Filter 2
>> Descendant Filter >> Descendant family members of <filter 1> match
>> Family Filters >> Parents of <filter 1> match
>> Family Filters >> Siblings of <filter 1> match
Set the Options >> At least one rule must apply

You set your person in Filter 1 and then you actually implement Filter 2 to select the people you want. And you need two because to get the parents and sibs these can only be selected off another filter.

2
Filter 3
>> Descendant Filter >> Descendant family members of <person>
>> Ancestral Filters >> Ancestors of <person>
>> General Filters >> People matching the <filter 2>

I'm not sure what you mean by " plus all descendants of other selected (not all) persons within the first selection."
Do you want people from Filter 1 AND Filter 2 or just those people that are common to relatives A & B.

If you want Filter 1 AND Filter 2
Set the Options >> At least one rule must apply

If you only want the people common to relatives A & B
Set the Options >> All rules must apply

I hope this helps and actually does what you want. I did not test it out but the logic is (I hope) sound. At least it gives you the idea of how filters work and interact with each other.

Dave




On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Anders Ardo <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Dave Scheipers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Anders
>
> I have just one database containing all of my people and many side shoots
> that seem promising. If you were to merge your two databases, that will take
> care of maintaining the overlapping people. Merge these people to link the
> trees. You may even find other people shared between the two files.
>
> Don't forget to merge overlapping sources/citations and places, media etc.
> Merging the databases will allow just one set of place records..

Right - I was afraid that's the only answer. I'm lazy and kind of
shrink away from the prospect of manually merging hundreds each of
people, events, sources, places ...

>
> When you need to share a tree with others, you can export just the relevant
> branches. You can create a set of filters to select a person, find all of
> their ancestors, then have gramps find all of the descendants of those
> relatives.
>
> If you need help with filters, let us know. Filters are not always
> intuitive.

If I'm going this route there are (at least) 2 filters needed (which I
have trouble implementing):
1. All descendants of person A plus their spouses and the family
(parents, siblings) of person A.

2. All descendants and ancestors of person B plus all descendants of
other selected (not all) persons within the first selection.

I'd appreciate any help or hints how to do this.

>
> Hope this helped, Dave

Thanks - always good to know the alternatives.

>
>
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Anders Ardo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>   I'm maintaining 2 family trees as separate databases in Gramps. The
>> family trees are partially overlapping in a fairly complicated way, ie
>> both trees contain people not in the other tree, and neither is a true
>> sub-tree of the other. I need to be able to export and share each tree
>> separately.
>>
>> What options do I have within Gramps for doing this so that I don't
>> have to update shared people in two databases?
>>
>> --
>> Hilsen
>> Anders
>> ----
>> Anders Ardö

--
Hilsen
Anders
----
Anders Ardö


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

Doug-11
In reply to this post by Dave Scheipers
On 20/03/17 08:01, Anders Ardo wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Anders
>>
>> I have just one database containing all of my people and many side shoots
>> that seem promising. If you were to merge your two databases, that will take
>> care of maintaining the overlapping people. Merge these people to link the
>> trees. You may even find other people shared between the two files.
>>
>> Don't forget to merge overlapping sources/citations and places, media etc.
>> Merging the databases will allow just one set of place records..
> Right - I was afraid that's the only answer. I'm lazy and kind of
> shrink away from the prospect of manually merging hundreds each of
> people, events, sources, places ...
>
>> When you need to share a tree with others, you can export just the relevant
>> branches. You can create a set of filters to select a person, find all of
>> their ancestors, then have gramps find all of the descendants of those
>> relatives.
>>
>> If you need help with filters, let us know. Filters are not always
>> intuitive.
> If I'm going this route there are (at least) 2 filters needed (which I
> have trouble implementing):
> 1. All descendants of person A plus their spouses and the family
> (parents, siblings) of person A.
>
> 2. All descendants and ancestors of person B plus all descendants of
> other selected (not all) persons within the first selection.
>
> I'd appreciate any help or hints how to do this.
>
<snip>

This sounds as though it would be very similar to an example
in Example Filters - Gramps Wiki:
Example 7. All people related to me but not my wife
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters#Example_7._All_people_related_to_me_but_not_my_wife

Have a look at that; if it's not what you want, let us know.
You can do almost anything (filter-wise, that is!) with
custom filters.

HTH

Doug




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Managing 2 partly overlapping trees

paul womack
Doug wrote:
> You can do almost anything (filter-wise, that is!) with
> custom filters.

Including making your head explode...

   BugBear

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Loading...