Re : New selectors?

jerome
Sorry, I forgot to mention that by "Selectors", I mean the dialogue for
selecting records, often called when we want to "share" or "add
an existing" record.

My bad!
Jérôme

 Objet: [Gramps-users] New selectors?
 À: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Vendredi 25 mars 2016, 12h39

 Hello,

 There is a new Gramps Enhancement Proposal[1] on wiki for a
 new set of selectors[2].

 The wiki page[2] is listing most related features, some
 related feature
 requests or bug reports and also has some screenshots.

 Any idea is welcome!

 [1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS
 [2] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_041:_New_Selector

 regards,
 Jérôme

Re: Re : New selectors?

Philip Weiss
Please don't remove the "last edited" column from that without providing for the following use case:

I figured out a couple of months ago that I am usually working with the same, most recently added or edited objects when using the share dialog.  Instead of searching for the name or description, I *finally* figured out I can sort descending on date to get the last touched object and load it.

Phil.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:33 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that by "Selectors", I mean the dialogue for
selecting records, often called when we want to "share" or "add
an existing" record.

My bad!
Jérôme

 À: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Re: Re : New selectors?

jerome
I write better german or french than english, but I am wondering
why I am asking for ideas or proposals when people seem to think
that we will make changes without asking them!

Yes, we can sort data for all columns on selector.

OK, the "Last Change" column is useful on selector.
I know that, because I was active on the implementation
on 2014... That's also why we know the limit of this method!

"Right now, it is better than before, but we still need to use multiple
click actions on selector."[1]

Thinking it was a lazy alternate way for something which could
be nicer on user side (and maybe for maintenance).

Also, we could have a better interface.
e.g., some samples[2]

Maybe one search field instead of the search bar?
e.g., like this proposal[3] on filter rules editor

About proposals around last edited records,
marked (or tagged records) and the navigation history,
if everybody is fine with current limits and like
clicking or mouse gestures, then we do not need to make changes.

I thought it was possible to implement some expected features[4]?

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5024#c33881
[2] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/nautilus/nautilus-next/se
[3] https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/310024/13737225/d8c0a7d4-e978-11e5-9e9f-58a6c4c162a5.png
[4] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_041:_New_Selector#Feature_requests

En date de : Sam 26.3.16, Philip Weiss <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] Re : New selectors?
 Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

  Date: Vendredi 25 mars 2016, 12h39

  Hello,

  There is a new Gramps Enhancement Proposal[1] on wiki for

  new set of selectors[2].

  The wiki page[2] is listing most related features, some

  related feature

  requests or bug reports and also has some screenshots.

  Any idea is welcome!

  [1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS

  [2] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_041:_New_Selector

  regards,

  Jérôme

  Transform Data into Opportunity.

  Click to learn more.

 Transform Data into Opportunity.

 Click to learn more.

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

 Transform Data into Opportunity.
 Accelerate data analysis in your applications
 with
 Intel Data Analytics Acceleration
 Library.
 Click to learn more.
 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: Re : New selectors?

Philip Weiss
Yah. I am not saying don't get rid of it.  Just make sure the use case is covered!

I'm having a hard time picturing the alternative at the moment though, but I haven't had time to read the GEPS in detail.  Just the gist of it.

Phil.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Harvey Nimmo
I would like to have a field selector on the Family view, so that, for
example, I could choose to see birth places and death dates as well as
birth dates.

Cheers
Harvey

On Sat, 2016-03-26 at 19:55 +0000, jerome wrote:

> [...]
> -----------
>
>   Transform Data into Opportunity.
>
>   Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
>
>   Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
>
>   Click to learn more.
>
>   http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785351&iu=/4140

>  --------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
>
>  Transform Data into Opportunity.
>
>  Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
>
>  Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
>
>  Click to learn more.
>
>  http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785351&iu=/4140

>  -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----
>
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
>  Transform Data into Opportunity.
>  Accelerate data analysis in your applications

Wiki - Meaningful Filenames

Oldest1
The Wiki page:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Meaningful_filenames

needs some information regarding the actual limits to file names and
paths, see for instance:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/265769/maximum-filename-length-in-ntfs-windows-xp-and-windows-vista

In addition to the limits on a Windows machine, I just ran into another
limit in trying to backup files to a CD/DVD because the UDF & Joliet
CD/DVD formats limit is only 255 bytes = 127 Unicode chars.

Not sure, but would expect that latter limit would also apply to Linux &
Max??

Arnold

Re: Wiki - Meaningful Filenames

Philip Weiss
Linux has a maximum filename length of 255 characters for most filesystems (including EXT4), and a maximum path of 4096 characters. eCryptfs is a layered filesystem. It stacks on top of another filesystem such as EXT4, which is actually used to write data to the disk.

Since each operating system and filesystem for each is different, as well as the limits of various other software programs that we use (I don't use manual backup systems for instance), I don't think we can cover it all.

We could have a warning on file name lengths, and for people to consult the specs of their OS, backup programs, and other related software.

Related (but not currently in the wiki), Tony Proctor (who I believe is on this list) has a great article on organizing files based on how archives do it.  http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2015/01/hierarchical-sources.html

Phil.

On 3/28/2016 10:21 AM, Philip Weiss wrote:
Linux has a maximum filename length of 255 characters for most filesystems (including EXT4), and a maximum path of 4096 characters. eCryptfs is a layered filesystem. It stacks on top of another filesystem such as EXT4, which is actually used to write data to the disk.

Since each operating system and filesystem for each is different, as well as the limits of various other software programs that we use (I don't use manual backup systems for instance), I don't think we can cover it all.

We could have a warning on file name lengths, and for people to consult the specs of their OS, backup programs, and other related software.
That would go a long way :-)

Related (but not currently in the wiki), Tony Proctor (who I believe is on this list) has a great article on organizing files based on how archives do it.  http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2015/01/hierarchical-sources.html
Yes, but he does not even mention this problem, as far as I can tell from my current reading (and earlier times).

I am a relative newb to all this, and blithely started with long and descriptive file names and directories, only to run into several brickwalls when I tried to backup to DVDs

Arnold

Gramps 4.x.x Split view and Edit Exif Metadata add-ons

Oldest1
Are either of these add-ons still available or in the works for 4.2?

Re: Wiki - Meaningful Filenames

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Philip Weiss
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Related (but not currently in the wiki), Tony Proctor (who I believe is on
> this list) has a great article on organizing files based on how archives do
> it.
> http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2015/01/hierarchical-sources.html

For what it's worth, that blog post of Tony's was invaluable to me
last year and set the standard by which I now organize all my source
material. I know it's just Tony's opinion and others may want to
organize things differently, but I found Tony's approach to be
extremely helpful.

Peter

Re: Wiki - Meaningful Filenames

David L McMurray
I've been using rather long and descriptive file names (i.e. US Census, 1940
for Buck, John and Doe, Jane, Page 1A, 1st Civil District, Anycity, Adams
County, Anystate) on my Windows 7 system, some of which were bumping on the
total path length limit. Then when I backed up the folder to my Microsoft
OneDrive folder, some went over the limit and were not backed up. Since it
was only a handful of files, I went back and shortened the file name a
little so it could be backed up. If I had to backup to an optical drive, I
would have problems, too.

Dave

On 3/28/2016 12:06 PM, David L McMurray wrote:
> I've been using rather long and descriptive file names (i.e. US Census, 1940
> for Buck, John and Doe, Jane, Page 1A, 1st Civil District, Anycity, Adams
> County, Anystate) on my Windows 7 system, some of which were bumping on the
> total path length limit. Then when I backed up the folder to my Microsoft
> OneDrive folder, some went over the limit and were not backed up.
Did it at least complain or notify you?

In one instance, a backup utility found the over-limit file name and
considered it a duplicate & so offered to skip it.
That is all very good when you're watching the backup.
Chances are that you are not and have set the utilities to  go to a
default response, which may or may not be what is needed.
So you only find out somewhere down the road, that some file(s) did not
get backed up. :-(

In my case, I was watching the process and I had to inspect the files to
make sure what response would be appropriate.
==================

Your post raises another issue: spaces in file and directory names.
While they are are allowed by the specs for both Linux and Windows, they
still (can) cause trouble and are best avoided.
(don't know about Macs, though would expect little difference.)

As Gramps runs under all OSes, one would have to find the lowest common
denominator and stick with it for compatibility.

Arnold

Re: Wiki - Meaningful Filenames

David L McMurray
No, it did not notify me. Only by comparing the folders did I discover it
was having issues. Seems like there might have been an entry in a log that
is not displayed by default, but it didn't specify the filename(s). I have
been using Microsoft's SyncToy which MS dropped all development on years
ago. Some limited research led me to FreeFileSync, but I haven't spent the
time to set it up and test it. Of note, it also runs on Linux and OSX.

Dave

On 03/28/2016 03:02 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

[snip]

> Your post raises another issue: spaces in file and directory names.
> While they are are allowed by the specs for both Linux and Windows, they
> still (can) cause trouble and are best avoided.

Even from the command line, Linux and OSX have long had facilities (double
quotes, IFS and backslash escaping) for handling non-alphanumeric characters.

The *real* downside is that "double-click select highlighting" ends at
whitespace.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss