Re: Patronymic (was: People with no official family name)

Re: Patronymic (was: People with no official family name)

Fred Reenders
Hello Johan and others,

For ages in parts of Europe (maybe in other places as well?) only few people had family names.
The people without it were differentiated from others with the same 'Given Name' by using a 'Patronymic'.
That's how you got your 'Dirk Jansz' which means Dirk, the son of Jan.

Up to now I have used the program Pro-Gen which handles patronymics very well.
Instead of the basic two fields for a persons name ('Given' and 'Family') it has three fields ('Given', 'Patronymic' and 'Family'). All with the same status.
It has allowed me and thousands of other users to work easily with many persons without family names.
(out of the 32.000 people in my database, about 20.000 have no family name).

GRAMPS knows a name item 'Patronymic' but apart from mentioning it in the window top bar and using it in other places, unfortunately it is somewhat hidden in a pop-up name editor window.
It would be much better if in GRAMPS the 'Patronymic' would get the same status as 'Given' and 'Family' and show up as one of the entries in the 'Prefered name' fields. Maybe as on option?
It would certainly make life a lot easier for the people who have many persons with only patronymics in their database.

So I suggest to 'promote' the 'Patronymic' entry to the 'Prefered Name' section in the Person-Window. Would that be possible?

Regards,
Fred Reenders

Re: Patronymic (was: People with no official family name)

jerome
Hello,

Maybe you should try to change 'display' format for Name ?
(under  Edit ->Preferences... )

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Display
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Name_Format_Editor

Regards,
Jérôme R

> For ages in parts of Europe (maybe in other places as
> well?) only few people
> had family names.
> The people without it were differentiated from others with
> the same 'Given
> Name' by using a 'Patronymic'.
> That's how you got your 'Dirk Jansz' which
> means Dirk, the son of Jan.
>
> Up to now I have used the program Pro-Gen which handles
> patronymics very
> well.
> Instead of the basic two fields for a persons name
> ('Given' and 'Family') it
> has three fields ('Given', 'Patronymic' and
> 'Family'). All with the same
> status.
> It has allowed me and thousands of other users to work
> easily with many
> persons without family names.
> (out of the 32.000 people in my database, about 20.000 have
> no family name).
>
> GRAMPS knows a name item 'Patronymic' but apart
> from mentioning it in the
> window top bar and using it in other places, unfortunately
> it is somewhat
> hidden in a pop-up name editor window.
> It would be much better if in GRAMPS the
> 'Patronymic' would get the same
> status as 'Given' and 'Family' and show up
> as one of the entries in the
> 'Prefered name' fields. Maybe as on option?
> It would certainly make life a lot easier for the people
> who have many
> persons with only patronymics in their database.
>
> So I suggest to 'promote' the 'Patronymic'
> entry to the 'Prefered Name'
> section in the Person-Window. Would that be possible?
>
> Regards,
> Fred Reenders

Re: Patronymic (was: People with no official family name)

Fred Reenders
Hello Jérôme,

I knew that the display format could be changed. That works very well.

It is not a matter of display.
What I would like is to promote the entry 'Patronymic' to the first basic
page of a Person (Prefered Name) and not hide it one level deeper in the
Name Editor. It really is just as important as 'Given' and 'Family' names.

The result would be that the basic information of a person can be seen in
one glance and changed in one window.
It would make working with GRAMPS a lot more attractive for e.g. thousands
of Pro-Gen users.

Regards,
Fred Reenders

Re: Patronymic (was: People with no official family name)

jerome
Fred,

OK, a person editor improvement.
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Edit-person.png

Maybe 'patronymic' was added after editor release !!!
Can you file a feature request ?
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_the_bug_tracker#Projects

Regards,
Jérôme

> I knew that the display format could be changed. That works
> very well.
>
> It is not a matter of display.
> What I would like is to promote the entry
> 'Patronymic' to the first basic
> page of a Person (Prefered Name) and not hide it one level
> deeper in the
> Name Editor. It really is just as important as
> 'Given' and 'Family' names.
>
> The result would be that the basic information of a person
> can be seen in
> one glance and changed in one window.
> It would make working with GRAMPS a lot more attractive for
> e.g. thousands
> of Pro-Gen users.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Reenders

I agree with you.
So, please do a feature request on the bug tracker, clearly stating the intent, and the reason.
If possible suggest how the edit person dialog should change. Make Title field shorter, of family name field shorter, or a new line, ....
The reason for the present layout is what they call 'screen-real-estate'

Anyway, write back here with the link to the tracker entry  you made, and I'll add it to the roadmap of version 3.1 / 3.2 It can then be discussed by developers and let's hope somebody has the time to implement it.

Benny