Re: Problems with Narrated Web Site

Richard Troxel
Retry, first attempt was too big.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 4:04 PM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:
I love this report option but I have run into a couple of issues while using it.
For the record I am using Gramps 5.1.1 on a Linux Mint 19.2, Cinnamon 64 bit box.

1) EXTRA PAGE
I have attempted to link an extra page within the Narrated Web only to get this error message. I have entered the link path without the extension as instructed.
File not found

Firefox can’t find the file at /home/richlobo/DenominoViso.html.

2) The "Thumbnails" tab often produces duplicate and even triplicate copies of media files.

3) Is there any way to scale down the size of images used for "The Home page image" etc.?

Any suggestions?

P.S. I contacted Don Allingham using the contact info on the report selection screen for answers. He tells me that he has not been involved in the project for years. Perhaps his contact info should be removed for the next version.

Re: Problems with Narrated Web Site

Dave Scheipers
Hi Richard

1. I have not used the extra page but recently was experimenting with
adding the webcal option. What I settled on was setting the webcal
folder as part of the narweb file structure. In whatever folder you
create the narweb, it will have folders css, images, img, plc... and
then the main html files, index, surnames, etc.  I created the webcal
in the folder cal within that structure.  I do not know if this will
work for this extra file, having it sit along side the main html
files.

2. you said you solved.

3,  What I settled on was having the picture with a maximum width of
600. I grouped a string of genealogy related comics with width of 600
for the main index page. Protect an original copy of the image and
then using your photo editor, play around with different widths.
Remember to have the editor setting scale the height as you manipulate
the width. See which works best for you.  You may have to have a
separate index page image if that same image is to be used as part of
a person's or family page. The edited image and the original image.

Unless invited to do so, the developers want to be contacted either
through these email lists or through the bug reporting as you work
through a reported issue. And some times other users will be able to
help with a question taking the burden off of the developers. I try to
do this as my way of giving back to the project. I don't know how or
if the developers have any time to do their own genealogy work.

Hope my suggestion helps or maybe someone else has an idea.  Dave

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Retry, first attempt was too big.
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 4:04 PM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I love this report option but I have run into a couple of issues while using it.
>> For the record I am using Gramps 5.1.1 on a Linux Mint 19.2, Cinnamon 64 bit box.
>>

>> 1) EXTRA PAGE
>> I have attempted to link an extra page within the Narrated Web only to get this error message. I have entered the link path without the extension as instructed.
>> File not found
>>
>> Firefox can’t find the file at /home/richlobo/DenominoViso.html.
>>
>> 2) The "Thumbnails" tab often produces duplicate and even triplicate copies of media files.
>>
>> 3) Is there any way to scale down the size of images used for "The Home page image" etc.?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> P.S. I contacted Don Allingham using the contact info on the report selection screen for answers. He tells me that he has not been involved in the project for years. Perhaps his contact info should be removed for the next version.

Re: Problems with Narrated Web Site

Richard Troxel
Thanks for the info Dave! I think that I may have found my problem, I was trying to embed a DenominoViso report. That report uses the "xhtml" format and Narrated Website Report is looking for an "html" file. The Extra Report function adds its own extension, which is "html" not the "xhtml" file which did embed within the NAVWEB folder (I was already going where you suggested).

It is evidently not possible to include  the graphical tree of the DenominoViso type.

Thank you for your input, I will play around with "resizing" the embedded image files.

Richard