Re: Register a patent with PDF and image

Re: Register a patent with PDF and image

Philippe Couka
Hi

I would convert any non-pdf document in pdf format, then create a single multi-page pdf document.

Best regards

Philippe Couka

   I have a PDF of a patent and an image of the invention that I'd
like to add to a person in Gramps and I'm uncertain how to do it in
the best way.
The image can be put in the gallery but how about the PDF? And how do
I connect them?

Can anyone recommend a good way?

--
Hilsen
Anders

Re: Register a patent with PDF and image

Ron Johnson
On 06/27/2017 02:45 AM, Anders Ardo wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have a PDF of a patent and an image of the invention that I'd
> like to add to a person in Gramps and I'm uncertain how to do it in
> the best way.
> The image can be put in the gallery but how about the PDF?

The PDF can also be put in the gallery.  There just won't be a preview or
thumbnail.

>   And how do I connect them?

What do you mean?

Re: Register a patent with PDF and image

Philip Weiss
Hi Anders,

For the patent holders in my tree, I've done the following:

Most US patents from the early 1900s at least have a city listed for the applicant.  So I create a residence event as of the date of the application, create a citation to the patent to source the residence event, and then attach a PDF of the patent to the citation's gallery.

I will also create a property event for the patent holder (thinking of patents as "intellectual property") as of the date the patent was granted, and add the same citation to that event.

I much prefer to attach documents to the citation, but you can also put it in the gallery for the person or the event in addition or instead.

Phil.

On 06/27/2017 12:44 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
Hi Anders,

For the patent holders in my tree, I've done the following:

Most US patents from the early 1900s at least have a city listed for the applicant.  So I create a residence event as of the date of the application, create a citation to the patent to source the residence event, and then attach a PDF of the patent to the citation's gallery.

I will also create a property event for the patent holder (thinking of patents as "intellectual property") as of the date the patent was granted, and add the same citation to that event.

Why not a custom event named Patent Issued?

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/27/2017 12:44 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:

I will also create a property event for the patent holder (thinking of patents as "intellectual property") as of the date the patent was granted, and add the same citation to that event.

Why not a custom event named Patent Issued?
Mostly as a personal preference I'm trying to stay away from creating too many and too specific custom events. I'll have a number of Probate events, a number of Military Service events (rather than inducted and discharged), etc.

Phil.