Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
I had already done what you suggest — installed Ghostscript twice, my Mac has been rebooted more than once, and I’ve now tried installing Gramps again, and it is still the same.

Thanks for your help, but I must admit I’m at a loss to determine the problem, and online searches haven't helped.

Incidentally, I used to have a PC, running Linux with Gramps v3, and that was fine.

Dave

On 1 Oct 2017, at 16:01, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah, now I understand your issue.  I guess you are using the Graphviz Layout tab to set multiple pages.  On my system, this works for 'PDF (Ghostscript)', but not for 'PDF (Graphviz)' or any of the image files.  It also works for the 'Graphviz File', although I don't know how to open that.   But I'm working in Windows, so perhaps something is different there.

It also seems possible that your Ghostscript is not installed correctly, or that you have not rebooted the system or restarted Gramps to allow everything to be found.  Gramps does normally find and use Ghostscript if it is installed correctly.  Works fine on my Windows and Ubuntu Linux systems.

Paul C.

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Paul,

I’m sure that would work, but in every file output option, except PDF, it is possible to split the graph over a number of pages, (such as 2 x 2) which can be taped together.

I was wondering if there was a way to “connect” Ghostscript into Gramps, to allow this option for PDFs.

Dave

On 1 Oct 2017, at 14:43, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

The relationship Graph is designed to 'fit' itself to a single page.  You will have to use a 'custom' paper size to make room for the entire graph.  I recently created a 3x15 foot graph for a tree of 250 people, which I actually printed on a roll of paper (with the help of a printing service).  If you want to use smaller paper, most pdf software will print a large document on smaller paper by breaking it up into pages that you can later paste back together.

Paul C.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 3:34 PM, leander5690 <[hidden email]> wrote:
When creating a .PDF Relationship Graph, I am unable to increase the number
of horizontal and vertical pages to more than one, even though I have
installed Ghostscript 9.21 from its .pkg file.
I am using Gramps 4.2.6.1, on an iMac with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

Paul Franklin-5
On 10/1/17, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, but I must admit I’m at a loss to determine the
> problem, and online searches haven't helped.

Is your locale non-English, by chance?

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
No, I live in the UK

On 10/2/17, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No, I live in the UK

Well, the reason I asked is that over the years there have
been an assortment of bugs complaining about multiple=paged
Graphviz reports, but usually they are complaining about the
characters being wrong, some of them.

But 9549 was one of the ones which were investigated and a
workaround was proposed. When the user reported success that
workaround was then put into gramps (in Edit=>Preferences),
for later 4.2.x versions of gramps, as well as 5.0.0.

So you might see if it works for you.

And ideally report back whether it does or not.  8-)

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

prculley
I don't think he has an issue with his fonts, rather he is unable to get his Ghostscript to be recognized by Gramps, so he has only the Graphvis PDF output.  Seems likely to be some sort of MAC or configuration issue.

Paul C.

On 10/2/17, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think he has an issue with his fonts, rather he is unable to get
> his Ghostscript to be recognized by Gramps, so he has only the Graphvis PDF
> output.  Seems likely to be some sort of MAC or configuration issue.

Well, then he should file a bug on our bug tracker, rather than
continue the discussion on the gramps-users mailing list, as
our Mac maintainer reads the bug tracker, but not this list.

Of course, the problem must be accurately described, as well
as steps given which enable us to reproduce it -- as with all bugs.

Also, I know we check for the presence of Ghostscript before we
enable Ghostscript-related things, but I am bothered by the fact
that the reporter says "I have installed Ghostscript 9.21 from its
.pkg file."  That shouldn't be necessary as Ghostscript is in the
Mac package/bundle.  Since I don't have a Mac I am only guessing
but I can certainly remember Windows problems where the user
had multiple versions of library programs we use, which then
caused them problems when the wrong one was used.  But if the
user sees an output-format choice of "PDF (Ghostscript)" then
gramps has found a Ghostscript on the user's machine.  (Also I
only see you Paul saying that; I don't see the user saying that.)

Anyway, I think he should file a bug on the bug tracker.  All Mac
problems should be filed there, not written about here.

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.

I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

Many thanks for your help.

Dave

On 2 Oct 2017, at 18:00, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/2/17, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think he has an issue with his fonts, rather he is unable to get
> his Ghostscript to be recognized by Gramps, so he has only the Graphvis PDF
> output.  Seems likely to be some sort of MAC or configuration issue.

Well, then he should file a bug on our bug tracker, rather than
continue the discussion on the gramps-users mailing list, as
our Mac maintainer reads the bug tracker, but not this list.

Of course, the problem must be accurately described, as well
as steps given which enable us to reproduce it -- as with all bugs.

Also, I know we check for the presence of Ghostscript before we
enable Ghostscript-related things, but I am bothered by the fact
that the reporter says "I have installed Ghostscript 9.21 from its
.pkg file."  That shouldn't be necessary as Ghostscript is in the
Mac package/bundle.  Since I don't have a Mac I am only guessing
but I can certainly remember Windows problems where the user
had multiple versions of library programs we use, which then
caused them problems when the wrong one was used.  But if the
user sees an output-format choice of "PDF (Ghostscript)" then
gramps has found a Ghostscript on the user's machine.  (Also I
only see you Paul saying that; I don't see the user saying that.)

Anyway, I think he should file a bug on the bug tracker.  All Mac
problems should be filed there, not written about here.

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

Craig Treleaven
> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:27 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.
>
> I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

I can output "PDF (Ghostscript)" from Gramps 3.4.9 on my Mac.  The difference is packaging--I installed Gramps3 via MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gramps

I suspect the OP installed via the normal .dmg installer.  AIUI, Ghostscript is an optional component for Gramps.  Gramps will work fine without it—albeit without that output option.  In my MacPorts installation, I have Ghostscript for other reasons and Gramps3 is taking advantage of its presence.  So it is not a limitation of the Mac platform; just a choice in packaging the app.

Craig

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

prculley
I'm not a MAC user, but for my own curiosity (and as a developer who sometimes needs to test things) I set up a version of osx Sierra in a VM.

Gramps has the code to use Ghostscript when installed and accessible.

The underlying issue appears to be Apple's design of their normal Applications.  For one thing the 'PATH' to Ghostscript (installed to /user/local/bin) is not included for Applications (like Gramps) installed via '.dmg'.  I've been told that Apple has some security 'fixes' that might also prevent access to programs in /user/local/bin by Applications.

I was unaware of the MacPorts version of Gramps until now, our usual MAC release is as '.dmg', so you may be stuck with Ghostscript support on the most current releases using that installation type.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:27 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.
>
> I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

I can output "PDF (Ghostscript)" from Gramps 3.4.9 on my Mac.  The difference is packaging--I installed Gramps3 via MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gramps

I suspect the OP installed via the normal .dmg installer.  AIUI, Ghostscript is an optional component for Gramps.  Gramps will work fine without it—albeit without that output option.  In my MacPorts installation, I have Ghostscript for other reasons and Gramps3 is taking advantage of its presence.  So it is not a limitation of the Mac platform; just a choice in packaging the app.

Craig

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

prculley
I've found a workaround that is pretty simple to use.  If you open a 'Terminal' and type in
'Applications/Gramps.app/Contents/MacOS/Gramps`  (which should be where Gramps is installed), Gramps will have Ghostscript support (presuming it is installed).

Apparently the security rules are different for programs started under 'Terminal', and the 'PATH' environment is correctly set for Gramps to find Ghostscript.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not a MAC user, but for my own curiosity (and as a developer who sometimes needs to test things) I set up a version of osx Sierra in a VM.

Gramps has the code to use Ghostscript when installed and accessible.

The underlying issue appears to be Apple's design of their normal Applications.  For one thing the 'PATH' to Ghostscript (installed to /user/local/bin) is not included for Applications (like Gramps) installed via '.dmg'.  I've been told that Apple has some security 'fixes' that might also prevent access to programs in /user/local/bin by Applications.

I was unaware of the MacPorts version of Gramps until now, our usual MAC release is as '.dmg', so you may be stuck with Ghostscript support on the most current releases using that installation type.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:27 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.
>
> I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

I can output "PDF (Ghostscript)" from Gramps 3.4.9 on my Mac.  The difference is packaging--I installed Gramps3 via MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gramps

I suspect the OP installed via the normal .dmg installer.  AIUI, Ghostscript is an optional component for Gramps.  Gramps will work fine without it—albeit without that output option.  In my MacPorts installation, I have Ghostscript for other reasons and Gramps3 is taking advantage of its presence.  So it is not a limitation of the Mac platform; just a choice in packaging the app.

Craig

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
Thanks, Craig.

I had a feeling Gramps 3 would work with Ghostscripf PDF files, as it did on my Linux PC, which I no longer have.

When I tried v3 on the Mac, a few days ago, I was sure (from info on the Gramps website) it wouldn't load the data created by v4, and I was right. Inputting the data, on v3, will be time-consuming, so I'll leave things as they are.

Dave

> On 3 Oct 2017, at 13:40, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:27 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.
>
> I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

I can output "PDF (Ghostscript)" from Gramps 3.4.9 on my Mac.  The difference is packaging--I installed Gramps3 via MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gramps

I suspect the OP installed via the normal .dmg installer.  AIUI, Ghostscript is an optional component for Gramps.  Gramps will work fine without it—albeit without that output option.  In my MacPorts installation, I have Ghostscript for other reasons and Gramps3 is taking advantage of its presence.  So it is not a limitation of the Mac platform; just a choice in packaging the app.

Craig

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
Thank for the info, Paul.
I will give it a try.
Dave

On 3 Oct 2017, at 15:30, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've found a workaround that is pretty simple to use.  If you open a 'Terminal' and type in
'Applications/Gramps.app/Contents/MacOS/Gramps`  (which should be where Gramps is installed), Gramps will have Ghostscript support (presuming it is installed).

Apparently the security rules are different for programs started under 'Terminal', and the 'PATH' environment is correctly set for Gramps to find Ghostscript.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not a MAC user, but for my own curiosity (and as a developer who sometimes needs to test things) I set up a version of osx Sierra in a VM.

Gramps has the code to use Ghostscript when installed and accessible.

The underlying issue appears to be Apple's design of their normal Applications.  For one thing the 'PATH' to Ghostscript (installed to /user/local/bin) is not included for Applications (like Gramps) installed via '.dmg'.  I've been told that Apple has some security 'fixes' that might also prevent access to programs in /user/local/bin by Applications.

I was unaware of the MacPorts version of Gramps until now, our usual MAC release is as '.dmg', so you may be stuck with Ghostscript support on the most current releases using that installation type.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:27 AM, leander3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no output choice of PDF (Ghostscript), only PDF (Graphviz), on the version I'm using.
>
> I was considering sending a bug report, but have come to the conclusion that the Ghostscript feature is simply not available, in the Mac version of Gramps.

I can output "PDF (Ghostscript)" from Gramps 3.4.9 on my Mac.  The difference is packaging--I installed Gramps3 via MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gramps

I suspect the OP installed via the normal .dmg installer.  AIUI, Ghostscript is an optional component for Gramps.  Gramps will work fine without it—albeit without that output option.  In my MacPorts installation, I have Ghostscript for other reasons and Gramps3 is taking advantage of its presence.  So it is not a limitation of the Mac platform; just a choice in packaging the app.

Craig

Re: Relationship graph is limited to 1x1 page.

leander5690
Yes, this now works, and gives the option “PDF (Ghostscript)”, on Gramps 4.2.6.1.

I had to jiggle around with the location of Gramps.app, and used XQuartz, instead of Terminal, but it now produces multiple A4 pages, to make up the Relationship Graph.

Problem solved — many thanks.