Re: Syncing between computers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

David Reitz
In regards to the recent conversation between Paul Culley and Hugh Paterson III, I have a similar question. There was a thread here recently about uploading your family tree into the cloud, and then accessing it from there. My question is, does anyone have any experience doing that?

I do all of my work in Gramps on my desktop, but have two Windows tablets that I have successfully installed Gramps on. My intention is to use the tablets when I am mobile, i.e., at a cemetery, family reunion, whatever. I do not plan on doing any editing while on the tablets.

I'm just not sure how to have Gramps access the cloud-based family tree.

David Reitz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

John Paton
On 01/06/17 00:16, David Reitz wrote:

> In regards to the recent conversation between Paul Culley and Hugh
> Paterson III, I have a similar question. There was a thread here
> recently about uploading your family tree into the cloud, and then
> accessing it from there. My question is, does anyone have any experience
> doing that?
>
> I do all of my work in Gramps on my desktop, but have two Windows
> tablets that I have successfully installed Gramps on. My intention is to
> use the tablets when I am mobile, i.e., at a cemetery, family reunion,
> whatever. I do not plan on doing any editing while on the tablets.
>
> I'm just not sure how to have Gramps access the cloud-based family tree.
>
> David Reitz
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org
>
I am considering writing up a short explanation of how to set up and use
dropbox with gramps. Would this be of any interest to others on this list?

John Paton

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Colin Spiller
Yes please

Colin



On 01/06/17 08:41, John Paton wrote:

> On 01/06/17 00:16, David Reitz wrote:
>> In regards to the recent conversation between Paul Culley and Hugh
>> Paterson III, I have a similar question. There was a thread here
>> recently about uploading your family tree into the cloud, and then
>> accessing it from there. My question is, does anyone have any
>> experience doing that?
>>
>> I do all of my work in Gramps on my desktop, but have two Windows
>> tablets that I have successfully installed Gramps on. My intention is
>> to use the tablets when I am mobile, i.e., at a cemetery, family
>> reunion, whatever. I do not plan on doing any editing while on the
>> tablets.
>>
>> I'm just not sure how to have Gramps access the cloud-based family tree.
>>
>> David Reitz
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gramps-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>> https://gramps-project.org
>>
> I am considering writing up a short explanation of how to set up and
> use dropbox with gramps. Would this be of any interest to others on
> this list?
>
> John Paton
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org
>

--
Colin Spiller
[hidden email]


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Erik P. Olsen
In reply to this post by John Paton
On 2017-06-01 at 08:41:01 John Paton wrote:

> I am considering writing up a short explanation of how to set up and use
> dropbox with gramps. Would this be of any interest to others on this list?
>
> John Paton

Yes, definitely. With my daughter living in New Zealand and me based in Denmark
a cloud solution is absolutely on the wish list so I do welcome such explanation.

Thanks a lot.

--
Erik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
NdK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

NdK
In reply to this post by John Paton
Il 01/06/2017 09:41, John Paton ha scritto:

> I am considering writing up a short explanation of how to set up and use
> dropbox with gramps. Would this be of any interest to others on this list?
Just remember to put a big warning: "backup after every batch of work:
*very* high risk of unrecoverable data corruption!"

Probably the SQLite backend in Gramps 5 will be a bit less easy to corrupt.

BYtE,
 Diego

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Dave Gilmore
In reply to this post by David Reitz

With the nature of the database GRAMPS uses I am a little gun shy to share the database in this way. But I do have a method that has worked fairly successfully for me across multiple devices, running differnet OSes and different (although reasonable close) versions of GRAMPS. I utilize a product called OwnCloud (which is free software you can run to sync files between your own private server and devices)

1. I have all my externally referenced media in my owncloud folder. On Windows it would be c:\users\dave\OwnCloud\Genealogy\Media. On Linux it's /home/dave/Owncloud/Genealogy/Media. As everything i the Owncloud folder is synced between all devices, I never have to back this up within the GRAMPS backup machanism

2. My GRAMPS Database uses relative media paths.

3. After a session is completed on once device, I make a backup of the database to Owncloud\Genealogy\Backups

4. On the next device, if the tree already exists, delete it and make a new, empty tree.

5. Import the backup from the sync'd backup folder.

6. Do what you need to do on this device. Once done, make a backup and reverse the process on the first device once you return to work on it.

This model assumes you will only be using one device at a time.

Hope this helps

On 5/31/2017 4:16 PM, David Reitz wrote:
In regards to the recent conversation between Paul Culley and Hugh Paterson III, I have a similar question. There was a thread here recently about uploading your family tree into the cloud, and then accessing it from there. My question is, does anyone have any experience doing that?

I do all of my work in Gramps on my desktop, but have two Windows tablets that I have successfully installed Gramps on. My intention is to use the tablets when I am mobile, i.e., at a cemetery, family reunion, whatever. I do not plan on doing any editing while on the tablets.

I'm just not sure how to have Gramps access the cloud-based family tree.

David Reitz


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Dave Gilmore
In reply to this post by Erik P. Olsen
Erik,

Using the Dropbox method will NOT work for two people working on the
same data at the same time. This will only work if you make changes
while her GRAMPS is closed. And she has to wait for you to be done
before she does anything. Once SHE opens the database you will have to
wait on HER to be done before YOU can do anything.

Dave


On 6/1/2017 1:35 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> On 2017-06-01 at 08:41:01 John Paton wrote:
>
>> I am considering writing up a short explanation of how to set up and use
>> dropbox with gramps. Would this be of any interest to others on this list?
>>
>> John Paton
> Yes, definitely. With my daughter living in New Zealand and me based in Denmark
> a cloud solution is absolutely on the wish list so I do welcome such explanation.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Erik P. Olsen
On 2017-06-02 at 08:44:12 Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Erik,
>
> Using the Dropbox method will NOT work for two people working on the
> same data at the same time. This will only work if you make changes
> while her GRAMPS is closed. And she has to wait for you to be done
> before she does anything. Once SHE opens the database you will have to
> wait on HER to be done before YOU can do anything.
>
> Dave
>
Thanks Dave,

Is that also true if her access to Dropbox is read-only? I just want her to be able to view what's
in the database not to add data to it.

--
Erik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Dave Gilmore
Hey Erik,

I'm pretty sure she would not be able to even open the database if it
were in read only mode.

If you just want her to review the information you've gathered, you
could export a NarWeb website into the dropbox folder and she can view
the pages that way. But, if you want her to use the full capabilities of
Gramps for reporting and analysis, I would suggest you use a modified
version of my sync method I sent the group today. Store and reference
all of your media from the dropbox folder, which she can access. Make
sure both of you are using relative media paths. Then, after you have
made some changes you want her to see, you put a Gramps backup in the
dropbox folder. When she wants to see your changes, she deletes her
outdated database, creates a new, empty on and imports your backup file.

Hope that makes sense,

Dave


On 6/2/2017 9:45 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> On 2017-06-02 at 08:44:12 Dave Gilmore wrote:
>
>> Erik,
>>
>> Using the Dropbox method will NOT work for two people working on the
>> same data at the same time. This will only work if you make changes
>> while her GRAMPS is closed. And she has to wait for you to be done
>> before she does anything. Once SHE opens the database you will have to
>> wait on HER to be done before YOU can do anything.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> Thanks Dave,
>
> Is that also true if her access to Dropbox is read-only? I just want her to be able to view what's
> in the database not to add data to it.
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syncing between computers

Rich Lakey
In reply to this post by Erik P. Olsen
Shucks, might as well throw my two cents in.
Couple of things, 1. I am old school and keep all my own backups. 2. I am the only one to update my Gramps files. Not that I can't screw things up myself, but the old saying, too many cooks .....

As far as sharing my Gramps data, I use the Linux operating system and have the apache server running on my desktop.  I put the Narrated web site provided by Gramps reports.  I do not have a domain name so I don't think anyone can find it through Google and only those who I give the IP address to. I have two copies, two IP addresses. One has everything and is password protected and the other has no password and contains no one alive or dead less than 20 years.

Since I am the only one doing updates to Gramps I don't have to worry about two people updating at the same time. I use Unison extensively. Unison is a incremental backup program that only copies what has changed.  I have used it in the past to incremental backup between Linux and Windows XP. But it was less than straightforward to install in XP. I run it every day as it backs up not only Gramps DB but all my files in my Document folder (which is where I have the Gramps DB installed). I back it up from my SSD to my HDD and to my wifes identical computer.  Also when I want to use my laptop I use unison to get it synced. Sometimes I go a month with out using my laptop so the sync can take a while for the whole document folder. For maybe 7 years I did it this way with no problem.
But last year I was told that is a no-no. The only safe way is to export from one and import to the other. I still don't think that is necessary but found another reason to do export/import. My laptop started getting very slow at loading Gramps.  Many years of no export/import had left my DB cluttered I guess, because after export import it was smaller and faster.  So I do frequent exports and Unison copies these backups to my four drives. Counting a backup on my laptop gives me 5 copies.

An to top it off I sync my computer to a portable drive I store in my fireproof safe a couple of times a month.  
I had problems in the past that I thought I had a corrupted DB. Exported gives peace of mind, but keep lots of backups as it might be months later a corruption is discovered.
Rich

On 06/02/2017 11:45 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
On 2017-06-02 at 08:44:12 Dave Gilmore wrote:

Erik,

Using the Dropbox method will NOT work for two people working on the 
same data at the same time. This will only work if you make changes 
while her GRAMPS is closed. And she has to wait for you to be done 
before she does anything. Once SHE opens the database you will have to 
wait on HER to be done before YOU can do anything.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Is that also true if her access to Dropbox is read-only? I just want her to be able to view what's
in the database not to add data to it.



--
Have you backed up your files today?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org