Re: Testing Gramps 4.2.6 (win 10 platform) - some results

Re: Testing Gramps 4.2.6 (win 10 platform) - some results

dave.khuon@gmail.com
RE: [Gramps-devel] Testing Gramps 4.2.6 (win 10 platform) - some results

I have been playing with AIO64-4.2.6 for a couple weeks, and found a few issues (or inconveniences) with Text Report Style Editor (for descendantReport): the editor keeps losing data changes on paragraph options as I hoped from 1 style to another.  However, the editor works fine when changing the font options from Style to Style.

My email here is not to report the bug as I would need to document  better, and also to follow proper process or channel that I am not familiar yet, to report my finding.

I would like to step through the code myself, using the IDE/Debugger I am familiar with, in order to isolate the point of interest, and better understand this app.  I am using VS 2017, and run into a few hurdle that one of you may be able to help me overcome:

1.      Installed VS 2017 Community Ed, latest (august update).

      Select grampsaiow.py as the startup file instead of the other 2 py files in that folder.  Is it right?

2.      Got complaints of missing packages due to PIPI issue, followed  link <A HREF="http://www.lfd.uci.ed u/gohlke/pythonlibs/">http://www.lfd.uci.ed u/gohlke/pythonlibs/ to download:

a.      bsddb3-6.2.5-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

b.      PyICU-1.9.8-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

      Both packages were successfully installed.

3.      Last hurdle: gnome-introspection issue

          Your version of gi (gnome-introspection) seems to be too old. You need a version which has the function 'require_version' to start Gramps

      What package (Gtk, GObject, Pango, etc…) would grampsapp.py need?

I appreciate any help you can provide,

Dave

Re: Testing Gramps 4.2.6 (win 10 platform) - some results

prculley
Gramps AIO for Windows has been built with the MSYS2 https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_for_Windows_with_MSYS2.

I don't know if anyone has ever successfully built it with the Microsoft tools and libraries, although I understand several have tried.  If you look over the link above, you may be able to figure out what dependencies are needed to be resolved if you try to build with Microsoft libraries.  That page assumes running from source and describes the starting point.

I don't know if you can debug only with the Windows tools by attaching to a process, but I expect that would be unlikely to work.

I was able to build up an environment based on the above page and use the Eclipse/Pydev IDE for debug and editing.

Good Luck.
Paul C.

2.      Got complaints of missing packages due to PIPI issue, followed  link http://www.lfd.uci.ed u/gohlke/pythonlibs/ to download: