Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Terry Bohaning
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the pointer... Let me see what I can come up with and if it's any good.., I'll be happy to share. It's likely to be in perl as I've never learned to code in python.

Terry

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
You mention a script you wrote.  If you are somewhat adept at this sort of thing, you might want to look at the CSV export and import from Gramps.  The CSV format is easy to deal with, you can use a spreadsheet program or parse with any number of tools.  The Places section will have a place titles column.  You can populate the LAT/LON columns in the CSV and remove the other sections (people, families etc.) to avoid creating a merge problem.  And then import the place data again.  If you leave the 'grampsid' column alone between the export and import, then the place data from the CSV will change the existing places.

I would definitely experiment with a copy of your data or a small test db, until you are sure it is working as expected.
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

Paul C.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Terry Bohaning <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI Dave,

What I'm trying to do is really be able to use the mapping to see where people have been.. My current data set only reflects birth and death, but the goal is to add more life events... I know that we have many of those records, I'm over time I'll import them. It makes it easier to ask the why question... If someone moves there is always the question of why... Birth and death leave so many things to look at.... :-)

That was exactly what I was looking for. It gives me access to the title...

Thank you!

Terry

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome Terry

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but....

I assume you recently imported into gramps.  The default is for gramps
to use the place hierarchy to generate the place title that is
displayed for events. Older versions of gramps used a static place
title set by the user. To view that default static place title, go to
Edit >> Preferences >> Place Tab >> and
uncheck the "Enable automatic place title generation"

Now when you go into the place database, the Title will show as a
field. This field is independent of the Name field and the hierarchy
structure.

I use the hierarchy setting for general use but when I'm editing my
place database, I uncheck above and  make my edits. I'm still setting
the place database to dynamically change for its various time periods
but I also like to manually set the place's title field for the time I
uncheck the automatic title generation.

I hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Terry Bohaning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm new to using Gramps and so far it fits my need quite well. Hat's off to
> the developers! I'm running Gramps 4.2.5 on Kubuntu 17.04
>
> I'm in the process of cleaning up the database that my mother started...
> mostly so I can understand what's there..
>
> One of the projects that I'm doing is to add GPS coordinates everywhere that
> is makes sense. Google has a api that returns the coordinates(both bounding
> and center) for any address. I've got a tiny script that takes the address
> and gets the coordinates.
>
> Where I'm running into a problem is getting the address to begin with. What
> I'd like to use is the title for that location.  Unfortunately there is no
> place that the title is selectable text. This keeps me from selecting the
> text and placing it into the command line of a script.
>
> I've also tried to find a report that returns a list. So far I've struck out
> there as well...
>
> Any suggestions on how i can approach the issue?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Terry

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Gary Griffin
Have you tried the Place Completion tool to add GPS data?

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Place_completion_tool

I have used this on a US state-by-state basis to get GPS data and to clean
my place structures. If your places are more Europe-centric, then try GetGOV
tool to both get the GPS data and the temporal place structure.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

Gary

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Kaj Mikkelsen
Great idea.
Except:
Using Danish letters: æøåÆØÅ causes gramps to throw an exception
A place with only US letters is using the place name as ID, not
populating the name field  and not adding any coordinates.

If you are in contact with the owner of the gramplet, please let him
know about these issues, because the idea really is great.

This is for the getGOV gramplet

On 10/04/2017 01:08 AM, Gary Griffin wrote:

> Have you tried the Place Completion tool to add GPS data?
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Place_completion_tool
>
> I have used this on a US state-by-state basis to get GPS data and to clean
> my place structures. If your places are more Europe-centric, then try GetGOV
> tool to both get the GPS data and the temporal place structure.
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV
>
> Gary
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Gary Griffin
You are correct that it will throw an exception if the GOV-id is not English.
I need to add a trap for the error.

If you get back a blank name, blank title, and type=unknown, then you did
not enter a known/valid GOV-id. This gramplet always returns an id that
corresponds to the GOV-id of the place. This is the easiest way to avoid
duplicate places, especially since many places are typically returned. This
is mentioned in the ISSUES section of the documentation for this gramplet :

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

The GOV-id is NOT the name of the place, but the unique ID that the GOV
gazetteer uses.

http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index

First you need to use the gazetteer to find the specific place you want,
then use the corresponding GOV-id for that entry in the GetGOV gramplet. For
instance, there are many places named Munich. If you want Munich, Germany
you would use MUNHENJN58SD . If you want Munich, North Dakota, USA you would
use MUNICHEN08OQ and if you want Munich, Minnesota, USA you would use
NEWICHEN25OP.

Does that help explain how to find the correct GOV-id to use?

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Paul Franklin-5
On 10/4/17, Gary Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are correct that it will throw an exception if the GOV-id is not
> English.  I need to add a trap for the error.

Gramps IDs can be any UTF-8 string (I believe).

I just prepared a simple two-person test.gramps file,
using a text editor to give one person an Arabic gramps
Id, and the other person a Chinese gramps Id.  It read
in fine, and displayed fine in the Person view.

Although I won't be too surprised to discover some code
path where it doesn't work -- or a third-party gramplet.  8-)

So while I haven't looked at your gramplet, why not just
convert all GOV-id into Utf-8?  Why have a trap?

Re: Using titles to obtain GPS coordianates

Gary Griffin
Sorry for not being clear. The error is not with Gramps IDs.

The user provides a string and that string is used to query the external GOV
gazetteer - via a urlopen(). That call fails and throws an exception. From a
practical perspective, the external gazetteer only uses id's in English, so
a non-english query should not return anything, but should not throw an
exception.

Quoting the string before generating the query would avoid the exception,
but in all cases would return nothing since it is not valid to the external
gazetteer.

Gary