Re-enabling the Enhanced Plugin Manager

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Can someone tell me how to add Plugins to an offline Windows system ?

A while back, I was validating some Wiki documentation (trying to find where Addon was used versus Plugin) and disabled the "Plugin Manager Enhanced" plugin.

It looks like the only way to restore the Enhanced plugin is to use General tab in Preferences to 'Check for updated add-ons now' (with 'Do not check about previously notified addons' deselected) while having a live internet connection.

Unfortunately, my Windows Gramps computer has been isolated from the net and must remain so for awhile longer. (I have been using SneakerNet https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/sneakernet for getting data in.)

Would my previously downloaded plugins have been flushed?  Or perhaps they can be re-installed through the "Available Gramps Updates for Addons" GUI. (Although I don't know if you can even get to that dialog while offline.)

Thanks
-Brian

(Note: the following warning now appears in the Wiki:
 Warning this Replaces the standard plugin manager.

If you want to return to the original plugin manager, use Plugin Manager Enhanced to uninstall itself, listed as "Plugin Manager Enhanced". )

References in the Wiki:
===================
Original Plugin Manager

Plugin Manager Plugin (aka Plugin Manager Enhanced)
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_Manager_Plugin

General tab in Preferences

Re: Re-enabling the Enhanced Plugin Manager

Dave Scheipers
Have you tried to move the PluginMangaer folder out of the plugin
folder, launch Gramps so that the Plugins get reset, then close
gramps, add the folder back to plugins and then do a relaunch of
Gramps?  There are also plugin settings in the gramps.ini file that
control new and hidden addons  under [plugin].

Maybe a combination of both options.

That's all I got. HTH Dave

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to add Plugins to an offline Windows system ?
>
> A while back, I was validating some Wiki documentation (trying to find where Addon was used versus Plugin) and disabled the "Plugin Manager Enhanced" plugin.
>
> It looks like the only way to restore the Enhanced plugin is to use General tab in Preferences to 'Check for updated add-ons now' (with 'Do not check about previously notified addons' deselected) while having a live internet connection.
>
> Unfortunately, my Windows Gramps computer has been isolated from the net and must remain so for awhile longer. (I have been using SneakerNet https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/sneakernet for getting data in.)
>
> Would my previously downloaded plugins have been flushed?  Or perhaps they can be re-installed through the "Available Gramps Updates for Addons" GUI. (Although I don't know if you can even get to that dialog while offline.)
>
> Thanks
> -Brian
>
> (Note: the following warning now appears in the Wiki:
>  Warning this Replaces the standard plugin manager.
> ________________________________
>
> If you want to return to the original plugin manager, use Plugin Manager Enhanced to uninstall itself, listed as "Plugin Manager Enhanced". )
>

> References in the Wiki:
> ===================
> Original Plugin Manager
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Plugin_Manager
>
> Plugin Manager Plugin (aka Plugin Manager Enhanced)
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_Manager_Plugin
>
> General tab in Preferences
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#General
>

> Available Gramps Updates for Addons
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Available_Gramps_Updates_for_Addons

Re: Re-enabling the Enhanced Plugin Manager

Unfortunately the Enhanced plugin manager pretty much depends on the internet.  It downloads a copy of the addon listing for itself, edits it and saves it for its own use when you do "Check for updated addons".  And it also downloads other addons.

The normal Gramps methods of adding/updating addons also relies on the internet.

If you are using 'sneakernet' to copy files from one computer to another, you could install Gramps on a connected machine, get the addons you want installed, and then copy the Appdata\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\plugins directory via your memory stick.  You should also copy the Appdata\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\new_addons.txt file to allow the Plugin Manager Enhanced to not complain.

You can also get individual addons from https://github.com/gramps-project/addons/tree/master/gramps51/download and unzip them into the Appdata\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\plugins directory manually.

Paul C.

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:47 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That makes sense. I'm trying to insulate this machine from the Microsoft & Adobe update overlords. (I miss the mythical days when our declining a change was respected.)

Can someone verify that it is POSSIBLE for the disabled Enhanced plugin to be restored via the Preferences updated addon checking?

If so, the Wiki lacks that info.

-Brian

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 17:20, Paul Culley
[...]

Hi Brian

I just manually deleted the PluginManager from the plugins directory
before launching Gramps. The Preference check for updates downloaded
and installed a new copy.  My settings are for New and Updated addons
and the Do Not Ask... is unchecked.

To be clear, you use the term "disabled" That is different than deleted.

I Hid the enhanced manager. After relaunching Gramps, the standard
manager appeared and the enhanced was there listed as hidden. To get
the enhanced back was to simply unhide it.  When disabled, the addon
stays on the computer. The hidden addons are just not loaded and thus
not available. The list of hidden addons are in the gramps.ini under
[plugin]. Delete the addon in this list before a launch of Gramps and
it immediately becomes available, so long as the files themselves have
not been deleted.

HTH Dave

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 6:36 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  Warning this Replaces the standard plugin manager.
> ________________________________
>
> If you want to return to the original plugin manager, use Plugin Manager Enhanced to uninstall itself, listed as "Plugin Manager Enhanced". )
>

> References in the Wiki:
> ===================
> Original Plugin Manager
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Plugin_Manager
>
> Plugin Manager Plugin (aka Plugin Manager Enhanced)
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_Manager_Plugin
>
> General tab in Preferences
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#General
>

> Available Gramps Updates for Addons
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Available_Gramps_Updates_for_Addons

Re: Re-enabling the Enhanced Plugin Manager

Thank you Dave & Paul,

For the last several hours, I've been trying to backtrack to the intro of the Plugin Manager enhancement. I intend to try to locate the GEPS and figure out the check for updates routines.  It seemed like if I could reverse-engineer the update requirements in the "Where to check:" diectory, it should be possible to rest the "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps50" path to an reconstitute the necessary files to push updates from a SneakerNet thumbdrive.

That plus your suggestions give several approaches to try. I'd like to document cycling between the Enhanced & Original manager. (Figuring it'll take a bunch of cycles to write then validate the documentation.)

In looking at the gramps.ini, it didn't have the Enhanced listed under the  [plugin] section. I thought it was hidden but there's something else there.

-Brian

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 19:45, Dave Scheipers