Re: genealogy directory structure]

Richard Hebert
Is and ain't :)

You can further breakdown the image folders .
Say ..

Images
   Portraits         ( one person only )
   Family            ( self explaining .. i guess ;)
   Tombstones        ( sometimes the only source of info on a  deceased
)
   Memorials         ( yes for those famous ones that have some .. )
   Places            ( houses they lived in etc .. )
   Historical        ( documents of historical significance )
Text
   Scanned Documents
      Death certificate
      Marriage license
      Obituaries
      Newspaper clippings
   People
      Notes on everyone in here ( became real large )
   Events
      Notes on significant events the family can have been involved in.
   Varia
Database

Note  :

Since all this material ( now 38,000 documented individuals ) is
extremely precious i installed a new drive on the gateway which serve
as backup . NFS the desktop with the gate and /mnt/backup as the
location to copy all the files .The disk is in a removable tray.
All the files are rdiff to the drive on saturday mornings.

The precaution can really save you from premature hair loss.
Though it wont save the original documents in case of disaster.

ric

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> This is a little bit off topic, but then again not really. I've been
> thinking of the best way to irganise my genealogy resources on the pc.
> Here's the structure I have so far:
>
> geneology
> + images
> |--misc.image
> |--+originals
> |   |--huge scanned file.original
> + texts
> |--The history of the fowlers.original text
> |--+ guides
> |   |--genealogy tips.document
> |   |--+ notes
> |   |   |--notes on family lithgow.document
> + database
> |-- lithgow-schmidt.grdb
> |-- + gramps-images
>      |-- suitable for report.image
>
> I was wondering how other people do this, with this i can take the
> 'database' directory with me to work on another place.
>
> Love to hear how you keep yours organised.
>
> Duncan

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Jim Winfrey-2
This is important.  Nice to see this list talking about something I
understand - genealogy.  I manage communications for a group of
researchers using several different programs.  I keep my master media
library in a single folder using the media name to distinguish it from
all the others.

I use the format:
Surname_
GivenNames_
Date (in the form 060130 so data sorts properly)_
Purpose or Occasion of the Photo

This grew out of the feature in most of the widely used genealogy
programs to want to link to a specific folder for media.  So whichever
program I'm working in I can target the same folder.

Next subject, data backup - I use a folder named "GenieBkups" in the My
Document folder for Windows programs.  I use a program called RTI shadow
that automatically copies any changes in My Document to my backup
drive.  Several months ago I started using Google Mail to back up zipped
files of my data.  I attach the backup to an e-mail to myself and when I
receive it, I archive it.  I use enough of a description in the e-mail
that I know what sets this backup apart from the last.  I usually keep
the latest 3 backups in gmail.  Then roughly quarterly, I send a DVD
with latest databases to another member of our research group.

Jim

Richard Hebert wrote:

> Is and ain't :)
>
> You can further breakdown the image folders .
> Say ..
>
> Images
>   Portraits         ( one person only )
>   Family            ( self explaining .. i guess ;)
>   Tombstones        ( sometimes the only source of info on a  deceased
> )
>   Memorials         ( yes for those famous ones that have some .. )
>   Places            ( houses they lived in etc .. )
>   Historical        ( documents of historical significance )
> Text
>   Scanned Documents
>      Death certificate
>      Marriage license
>      Obituaries
>      Newspaper clippings
>   People
>      Notes on everyone in here ( became real large )
>   Events
>      Notes on significant events the family can have been involved in.
>   Varia
> Database
>
> Note  :
>
> Since all this material ( now 38,000 documented individuals ) is
> extremely precious i installed a new drive on the gateway which serve
> as backup . NFS the desktop with the gate and /mnt/backup as the
> location to copy all the files .The disk is in a removable tray.
> All the files are rdiff to the drive on saturday mornings.
>
> The precaution can really save you from premature hair loss.
> Though it wont save the original documents in case of disaster.
>
> ric
>

> Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>
>> This is a little bit off topic, but then again not really. I've been
>> thinking of the best way to irganise my genealogy resources on the
>> pc. Here's the structure I have so far:
>>
>> geneology
>> + images
>> |--misc.image
>> |--+originals
>> |   |--huge scanned file.original
>> + texts
>> |--The history of the fowlers.original text
>> |--+ guides
>> |   |--genealogy tips.document
>> |   |--+ notes
>> |   |   |--notes on family lithgow.document
>> + database
>> |-- lithgow-schmidt.grdb
>> |-- + gramps-images
>>      |-- suitable for report.image
>>
>> I was wondering how other people do this, with this i can take the
>> 'database' directory with me to work on another place.
>>
>> Love to hear how you keep yours organised.
>>
>> Duncan

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Duncan Lithgow
Jim Winfrey wrote:

> This is important.  Nice to see this list talking about something I
> understand - genealogy.  I manage communications for a group of
> researchers using several different programs.  I keep my master media
> library in a single folder using the media name to distinguish it from
> all the others.
> I use the format:
> Surname_
> GivenNames_
> Date (in the form 060130 so data sorts properly)_
> Purpose or Occasion of the Photo
Do you have all of that in the file name? ie: Doe_John-20060131-weeding
the garden
I guess that's one way to do it.
> Next subject, data backup - I use a folder named "GenieBkups" in the
> My Document folder for Windows programs.
Are you a windows or linux user? I'm confused, the 'My Documents'
folder? Or do you store everything on the windows partition?

* storing images *
I'm actually considering 'storing' them in OpenDocument files. Why? The
description, of any length, is stored _with_ the image. Related images
can be stored in one file. If I want the images back I just unzip the
OpenDocument file. Try it yourself and see what you think. This idea
grew out of my need to take sheets of photos I've scanned back to the
owner to get the details of who, what and where. This way I can spit out
PDF's .doc files etc if needed. I'm not wholy convinced though - what do
people think?

thanks, Duncan

PS:
A: Because it's not the natural flow of a conversation.
Q: Why is top posting discouraged?

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Jim Winfrey
Duncan,  when you're new to something you tend to kinda equate it with
what you know.  In Home I have a folder/directory named My Documents.
It works for me.

I will check out media storage in OpenDocument.  I don't know enough
yet to have an opinion.

thanks,

Jim

PS:
A: That's why there is strawberry and vanilla
Q: Discouraged by whom?  To me, top posting is more logical.

On 1/30/06, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > This is important.  Nice to see this list talking about something I
> > understand - genealogy.  I manage communications for a group of
> > researchers using several different programs.  I keep my master media
> > library in a single folder using the media name to distinguish it from
> > all the others.
> > I use the format:
> > Surname_
> > GivenNames_
> > Date (in the form 060130 so data sorts properly)_
> > Purpose or Occasion of the Photo
> Do you have all of that in the file name? ie: Doe_John-20060131-weeding
> the garden
> I guess that's one way to do it.
> > Next subject, data backup - I use a folder named "GenieBkups" in the
> > My Document folder for Windows programs.
> Are you a windows or linux user? I'm confused, the 'My Documents'
> folder? Or do you store everything on the windows partition?
>
> * storing images *
> I'm actually considering 'storing' them in OpenDocument files. Why? The
> description, of any length, is stored _with_ the image. Related images
> can be stored in one file. If I want the images back I just unzip the
> OpenDocument file. Try it yourself and see what you think. This idea
> grew out of my need to take sheets of photos I've scanned back to the
> owner to get the details of who, what and where. This way I can spit out
> PDF's .doc files etc if needed. I'm not wholy convinced though - what do
> people think?
>
> thanks, Duncan
>
> PS:
> A: Because it's not the natural flow of a conversation.
> Q: Why is top posting discouraged?

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Jochen123
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:38:58AM +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> * storing images *
> I'm actually considering 'storing' them in OpenDocument files. Why? The
> description, of any length, is stored _with_ the image. Related images
> can be stored in one file. If I want the images back I just unzip the
> OpenDocument file. Try it yourself and see what you think. This idea
> grew out of my need to take sheets of photos I've scanned back to the
> owner to get the details of who, what and where. This way I can spit out
> PDF's .doc files etc if needed. I'm not wholy convinced though - what do
> people think?

But you have the problem that when you want to access it as a graphics
file, for instance to create thumbnail versions, you always have to
extract them and possibly reinsert them later into the OpenDocument
files.

I am planning to use a different route: Most image formats allow
freeform text comment fields inside the image. I am currently writing a
small XML file with the information about the image (when/where/who is
on it, etc). At some point I want to store this XML data inside these image
comments. (I haven't done that yet, but see no problem with it.) As far
as I know, this is also what some professional image management
applications do. The image can still be opened by any graphics program,
many will also reattach the comments when they write out the file again
(in case you changed the image).

So there are no extra steps necessary to access the image itself, the
meta data can be viewed by many graphics programs thru some "see
comment" function or there are command line tools to extract it etc.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Jochen123
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:38:58AM +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> Jim Winfrey wrote:
> >This is important.  Nice to see this list talking about something I
> >understand - genealogy.  I manage communications for a group of
> >researchers using several different programs.  I keep my master media
> >library in a single folder using the media name to distinguish it from
> >all the others.
> >I use the format:
> >Surname_
> >GivenNames_
> >Date (in the form 060130 so data sorts properly)_
> >Purpose or Occasion of the Photo
> Do you have all of that in the file name? ie: Doe_John-20060131-weeding
> the garden

I have totally given up on encoding anything sensible in the file or
directory name, because after a while every scheme I invented didn't
work for some reason. For instance when you store name of peoples in the
file name where do you put photos without any people on it. Ok, separate
folder, organized by places maybe. But then there is a photo of a family
home and you can see several people in the garden, do you store it in
the places or in the people section. etc.

So I give every photo (similar for other object) a unique number "when
it comes in". This number is written on the back of the photo (except
in cases where this might destroy the original or be unsightly). I use
the following notation: FPH-nnnnn (FPH short for "family photo" and
nnnnn is a 5 digit number.) (Using a number without the leading "FPH" or
something similar makes it difficult for future researchers. I have many
photos with some numbers on it which could be dates, number of copies
requested, a numbering scheme from some former researcher or whatever.)

The number is related to nothing. All the meta information like peoples
names, date, place, etc. is recorded in an XML file and can be extracted
from there in any way it is needed for a particular task. (Like: show me
all photos with person x in it, or taken between date x and y.)

There is a directory structure, so directories don't get too big:
photos/123/45/FPH-12345.jpg
photos/123/45/FPH-12345.xml

I am currently not using gramps at all for anything related to photos.
When I started this scheme gramps didn't support media objects the way
it does today, and so I started this scheme and will keep it for the
time beeing.

I have similar schemes for other "objects" which don't live in gramps
like information about graves. Other "objects", like the information
about people is just kept in gramps.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Tim Allen
Jochen Topf wrote:

> I am planning to use a different route: Most image formats allow
> freeform text comment fields inside the image. I am currently writing a
> small XML file with the information about the image (when/where/who is
> on it, etc). At some point I want to store this XML data inside these image
> comments. (I haven't done that yet, but see no problem with it.) As far
> as I know, this is also what some professional image management
> applications do. The image can still be opened by any graphics program,
> many will also reattach the comments when they write out the file again
> (in case you changed the image).
>
> So there are no extra steps necessary to access the image itself, the
> meta data can be viewed by many graphics programs thru some "see
> comment" function or there are command line tools to extract it etc.

In particular, XMP is probably what you'd want. It's an Adobe
"standard", but they provide a free SDK to support it, so expect it to
become widespread. All Adobe products (eg Photoshop) support it, of
course, but so does the latest version of the Gimp (though not yet
stable last time I tested it, a few months ago).

EXIF would be another option, but I'm not sure how easily extensible
that is if you want to define your own general fields.

The application I get paid to work on has support for XMP, and I'm
constantly surprised by the interesting comments I see embedded in
images downloaded from web pages while testing our software.

That said, I've never tried to use anything of the sort for my
collection of gramps media, though I probably should... :)

> Jochen

Tim

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Duncan Lithgow
Jochen and Tim,

embedding text comments into images - I've just been looking into this
and couldn't find any way of doing it with PNG images (which is my
preferred format). It is possible, I just couldn't find anything that
does it. I think I found some command line apps, but couldn't work them out.

Here's the thread discussing it:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/64971

Duncan

Document preservation.

Richard Hebert
Instead of keeping in the thread im forking because there's a
question that pops up after reading about writing on the backs of
photographs.

We want to preserve the documents , preserve the knowledge
and make a collection that will be passed on from generation to
generation , or passed on to a library or local historical
genealogical society , we hit some real think ahead issues.

Some of the documents we have are already fragile after only
a hundred years or so .. old letters , documents from the civil
was era etc, that i know need special care.

Photographs , papers , the handling of the documents and even
the paper and ink we use to make documents all become, like
you all know, issues that have to be addressed ..

The program in itself cant help us there.The massive documentation
needed to actually fill in the blanks becomes in itself the real
challenge.The piles are absolutely huge here :)

How do you guys go about this ?

Anyone here actually working with a system for the documentation
that actually addresses the issue of document preservation ?

The wife uses the software .. im trying to think ahead and
find something that makes sense to save the massive collection.

Ric

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Steve Hall-4
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 12:01 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> embedding text comments into images - I've just been looking into
> this and couldn't find any way of doing it with PNG images (which is
> my preferred format). It is possible, I just couldn't find anything
> that does it. I think I found some command line apps, but couldn't
> work them out.

gThumb makes this easy. You can even display a whole directory of
files with the comments of each shown above the filename.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]

Re: genealogy directory structure]

Steve Hall-4

Great thread!

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 07:34 +0100, Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:38:58AM +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > Jim Winfrey wrote:
[snip]
> > > I use the format:
> > >   Surname_
> > >   GivenNames_
> > >   Date (in the form 060130 so data sorts properly)_
> > >   Purpose or Occasion of the Photo
> >
> > Do you have all of that in the file name? ie:
> > Doe_John-20060131-weeding the garden

This is almost exactly what I do:

  Doe-John_2006-01-31_garden.png

The date is ISO 8601 and the trailing descriptor is more of a reminder
and a way to differentiate multiple files. Underscores separate the
"fields".

I'm not a big fan of embedding text information in graphics files.
Instead, I create an adjacent text file with the same name:

  Doe-John_2006-01-31_garden.txt

Then I have a way to store unlimited descriptions and analysis in a
more flexible format. If you store the image content, source,
suppositions, etc. in this way, the entire structure can be searched
by grep in a second.

For directory structure, I use something like this:

  genealogy
  +- cemeteries
  +- census
  +- forms
  +- ged
  +- general
  +- gramps [software app data]
  +- maps
  +- names
  |   +- 16Hall
  |   |   +- census-HALL
  |   |   +- churchrecords
  |   |   +- correspondence
  |   |   +- deeds
  |   |   +- ged
  |   |
  |   +- 17Swegar  }
  |   +- ...       } Ahnentafel
  |   +- 31Cook    }

  +- passenger-lists
  +- taxlists

Storing family-related info by Ahnentafel number means the numbering
system can expand with the data, but still keeping nearby directories
the nearby relationships.

Some other attributes of this organization I like:

o I try to separate info by source, not content. The goal is to keep
  compilations like census and court documents as a store that mirror
  their origins as closely as possible. Then extractions for research
  can go alongside the relevant individual or family and I haven't
  upset the original structure if I need to go back and re-analyze.
o I treat photos no differently than other documents since I believe
  it is the total compilation of information that assists research.
  Having a separate "photos" directory splits them from other data.
o Family-specific sources or extractions go within their corresponding
  name folder, but all general resources go at the top level.
o Many top level directories keeps things navigable as opposed to deep
  structures. I can see more than 50 items at a time in my file
  browser, so scanning a file list with my eyes is much easier than
  actively navigating directories. The important thing with this
  method is to take time to name items logically and be willing to
  rename when one fails to be helpful.
o Links are useful, such as linking the family census folder back to
  the general census folder in the example above.

Is all that helpful?

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]