Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Anthony J. Brow
Hallo Guys and Gals                                11Jul2014

Recently I downloaded gramps 4.0.3-1, and it is the same as some other
late models  of gramps: it needs
this 'OmsGpsMaps'.  This is most disappointing as I read that gramps
won't run properly without
OmsGpsMaps.

As I am a Noob on programming, I could not install OmsGpsMaps. Why could
this not be built-in the
gramps program ? Now I like to know which of the different gramps
versions  will run without the
OmsGpsMaps ?

Please, not only for my sake but also for others, could this 'map'
gadget be built in to Gramps or
give us a thorough explanation how on earth to install "OmsGpsMaps"

many thanks

tony

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 15:18:25 +1000
"Anthony J. Brow" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Anthony,

>this 'OmsGpsMaps'.

I counted six uses of that term, meaning you've possibly misread it, and
may be looking for the wrong thing.  Its OSM.... not OMS....

--
 Regards  _
It's only the children of the ------- wealthy tend to be good looking

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Graham Peter Davis
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 15:18:25 +1000
"Anthony J. Brow" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo Guys and Gals                                11Jul2014
>
> Recently I downloaded gramps 4.0.3-1, and it is the same as some
> other late models  of gramps: it needs
> this 'OmsGpsMaps'.  This is most disappointing as I read that gramps
> won't run properly without
> OmsGpsMaps.
>
> As I am a Noob on programming, I could not install OmsGpsMaps. Why
> could this not be built-in the
> gramps program ? Now I like to know which of the different gramps
> versions  will run without the
> OmsGpsMaps ?
>
> Please, not only for my sake but also for others, could this 'map'
> gadget be built in to Gramps or
> give us a thorough explanation how on earth to install "OmsGpsMaps"

I've got the same problem with Gramps 4.0.4 from openSUSE. The warning
message I get says that "osmgpsmaps" is missing but gives a link to the
appropriate wiki page where instructions on how to build it. Sadly, the
link is a mile long and can't be highlighted for copying. I tried doing
a search in the wiki but got loads of entries, most of which were in
German, so I gave up.

I've also got a message that "webkit" wasn't installed either; it is,
but presumably not the correct version.

I'm running a trial version of openSUSE 13.2 on this machine so checked
on another which is running the latest stable release, 13.1. I
installed 4.0.1 first and this gave no problems. The next available was
4.0.4 which produced the problems mentioned above.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.13.2; Kernel: 3.15.5

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 20:37:02 +0100
Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graham,

>I've got the same problem with Gramps 4.0.4 from openSUSE. The warning
>message I get says that "osmgpsmaps" is missing but gives a link to the

Use your package manager to locate packages containing the
string "osmgpsmap" in their name.  In Debian testing, I had to install
"libosmgpsmap-1.0-0"  Do similar things for "webkit".

Things may fail if, as you point out, your repos don't have the correct
versions available to you.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Graham Peter Davis
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:58:18 +0100
Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 20:37:02 +0100
> Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Graham,
>
> >I've got the same problem with Gramps 4.0.4 from openSUSE. The
> >warning message I get says that "osmgpsmaps" is missing but gives a
> >link to the
>
> Use your package manager to locate packages containing the
> string "osmgpsmap" in their name.  In Debian testing, I had to install
> "libosmgpsmap-1.0-0"  Do similar things for "webkit".
>
> Things may fail if, as you point out, your repos don't have the
> correct versions available to you.

Yes, I'd already tried searching for those. "osmgpsmap" doesn't exist
and "webkit" is installed but not the version needed by 4.0.4. I'm
puzzled as to why what seems to be such major changes have occurred in
a bugfix release; shouldn't they have waited for a new version?

Anyway, I'll raise this as a bug with openSUSE and, in the meantime,
operational system. I can only backtrack to 4.0.3 on this beta system
and although that solves the missing "webkit" problem, it still has the
"osmgpsmap" trouble.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.13.2; Kernel: 3.15.5

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 18:37:12 +0100
Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graham,

>Yes, I'd already tried searching for those. "osmgpsmap" doesn't exist
>and "webkit" is installed but not the version needed by 4.0.4. I'm

Sorry;  I knew you'd done search fro Webkit, but wasn't sure whether you
had for osmgpsmap.  Just making sure.

>puzzled as to why what seems to be such major changes have occurred in
>a bugfix release; shouldn't they have waited for a new version?

I had no problems upgrading to 4.0.4, but I'm using Debian testing.
The only issues I have are with GooCanvas, but I only installed the
'Gramps View' plug-in after upgrading, so don't know whether it would
have worked before.

>operational system. I can only backtrack to 4.0.3 on this beta system
>and although that solves the missing "webkit" problem, it still has the
>"osmgpsmap" trouble.

You can sidestep the osmgpsmap issues by hiding 'OpenStreetMap' in the
Plugin-in Manager.  Something similar can be done for webkit too,
probably, but IDK what plugin(s) use it(1).  Of course, some of your
plug-ins will stop working correctly, if they work at all, and that may
not be a viable option for you.

(1) A quick check of Debian's dependencies list for Gramps suggest it's
not required by the core program.

--
 Regards  _
But they didn't tell him the first two didn't count

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/13/14, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can sidestep the osmgpsmap issues by hiding 'OpenStreetMap' in the
> Plugin-in Manager.  Something similar can be done for webkit too,
> probably, but IDK what plugin(s) use it(1).  Of course, some of your
> plug-ins will stop working correctly, if they work at all, and that may
> not be a viable option for you.
>
> (1) A quick check of Debian's dependencies list for Gramps suggest it's
> not required by the core program.

Yes, the Webkit dependency is only used by one "view"
which (IMHO) is not likely to ever be used, by the casual user
(and probably not by a power user either, as its function is
subsumed by the more-modern osmgpsmaps dependency).

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:33:27 -0700
Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>Yes, the Webkit dependency is only used by one "view"
>which (IMHO) is not likely to ever be used, by the casual user
>(and probably not by a power user either, as its function is
>subsumed by the more-modern osmgpsmaps dependency).

Thanks for the info Paul.  Care to mention which plug-in uses WebKit?
It's not an issue for me.  Judging by what you say, I don't have it
installed, but it'll save Graham searching for it, possibly.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin
Love Song - The Damned

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Ross Gammon
On 07/13/2014 08:54 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:33:27 -0700 Paul Franklin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
>> Yes, the Webkit dependency is only used by one "view" which
>> (IMHO) is not likely to ever be used, by the casual user (and
>> probably not by a power user either, as its function is subsumed
>> by the more-modern osmgpsmaps dependency).
>
> Thanks for the info Paul.  Care to mention which plug-in uses
> WebKit? It's not an issue for me.  Judging by what you say, I don't
> have it installed, but it'll save Graham searching for it,
> possibly.

It is the hidden HTML view I believe. You have to find it in the
addons and enable it. Then you can look at websites from within Gramps.

Most prefer to have their normal browser open and flick between the
two, so it is not widely used.

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Paul Franklin-5
> Thanks for the info Paul.  Care to mention which plug-in uses WebKit?

This is from memory; I haven't checked.  But my memory
says it's "HtmlView" (htmlview?), which is "hidden" in some
way, as I recall, and a user has to go out of the way to even
see it, as I recall.  I never have, for instance.  8-)

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 12:18:38 -0700
Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>This is from memory; I haven't checked.  But my memory
>says it's "HtmlView" (htmlview?), which is "hidden" in some

Thanks to you and Ross for the info.

>way, as I recall, and a user has to go out of the way to even
>see it, as I recall.  I never have, for instance.  8-)

I installed the plug-in, but it's slow to render.  Or at least, that's
my perception.  As Ross suggests is the case, I'm one of the many people
that prefer to have any web site open in my browser.

--
 Regards  _
The stakes were high but the danger low

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Sebastian Schubert
Am 13.07.2014 19:37, schrieb Graham P Davis:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:58:18 +0100
> Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 20:37:02 +0100
>> Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Graham,
>>
>>> I've got the same problem with Gramps 4.0.4 from openSUSE. The
>>> warning message I get says that "osmgpsmaps" is missing but gives a
>>> link to the
>>
>> Use your package manager to locate packages containing the
>> string "osmgpsmap" in their name.  In Debian testing, I had to install
>> "libosmgpsmap-1.0-0"  Do similar things for "webkit".
>>
>> Things may fail if, as you point out, your repos don't have the
>> correct versions available to you.
>>

> Yes, I'd already tried searching for those. "osmgpsmap" doesn't exist
> and "webkit" is installed but not the version needed by 4.0.4. I'm
> puzzled as to why what seems to be such major changes have occurred in
> a bugfix release; shouldn't they have waited for a new version?

There are osmgpsmap packages available for openSUSE:

http://software.opensuse.org/package/osmgpsmap

I use the sebschub repository ( ;) ) but -- in this case -- it only
mirrors ecsos'.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Gerald Britton-2

I have osmgpsmaps installed but gramps thinks not!  Why would this be and what can I do???

On Jul 13, 2014 1:38 PM, "Graham P Davis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:58:18 +0100
Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 20:37:02 +0100
> Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Graham,
>
> >I've got the same problem with Gramps 4.0.4 from openSUSE. The
> >warning message I get says that "osmgpsmaps" is missing but gives a
> >link to the
>
> Use your package manager to locate packages containing the
> string "osmgpsmap" in their name.  In Debian testing, I had to install
> "libosmgpsmap-1.0-0"  Do similar things for "webkit".
>
> Things may fail if, as you point out, your repos don't have the
> correct versions available to you.

Yes, I'd already tried searching for those. "osmgpsmap" doesn't exist
and "webkit" is installed but not the version needed by 4.0.4. I'm
puzzled as to why what seems to be such major changes have occurred in
a bugfix release; shouldn't they have waited for a new version?

Anyway, I'll raise this as a bug with openSUSE and, in the meantime,
operational system. I can only backtrack to 4.0.3 on this beta system
and although that solves the missing "webkit" problem, it still has the
"osmgpsmap" trouble.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.13.2; Kernel: 3.15.5

Re: new Gramps programs with "OmsGpsMaps"

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 21:09:06 -0400
Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Gerald,

>I have osmgpsmaps installed but gramps thinks not!  Why would this be
>and what can I do???

In Debian, there are two osmgps library packages;

libosmgpsmap-1.0-0
libosmgpsmap2

Only the former satisfies Gramps.  Or at least, that's what I found to
be the case here.  You'll also need to install gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0.

Be aware that these packages may well be named differently in your
system's repos.

--
 Regards  _
This is the fifty first state of the USA