Re-ordering children not working

KimFella
I just went through several generations entering my direct ancestors, then went back later and started entering their siblings.  None of my ancestors were the first child of their parents, yet that is where they all show.  One of the Tip of the Days says the children can be ordered by drag and drop.  Nope. Not happening.  At least not in Relationship View.  Click on the name goes to edit that person. Click and hold on the sibling order number and you can drag a "Person" icon/thumbnail around but the moment you release the button, it just zips back up to where it came from.  I'd like to know if the re-ordering can be done, and how.  Otherwise I'll have to delete and recreate the ones I've already done. Plus all the details I've already added.

Thank you.

Re: Re-ordering children not working

jan bullock

On 01/24/2016 04:00 PM, KimFella wrote:

> I just went through several generations entering my direct ancestors, then
> went back later and started entering their siblings.  None of my ancestors
> were the first child of their parents, yet that is where they all show.  One
> of the Tip of the Days says the children can be ordered by drag and drop.
> Nope. Not happening.  At least not in Relationship View.  Click on the name
> goes to edit that person. Click and hold on the sibling order number and you
> can drag a "Person" icon/thumbnail around but the moment you release the
> button, it just zips back up to where it came from.  I'd like to know if the
> re-ordering can be done, and how.  Otherwise I'll have to delete and
> recreate the ones I've already done. Plus all the details I've already
> added.

 From relationship, click on edit family (first icon) you get a family
list screen, highlight person you want to reorder and use up/down arrow
keys to move. When done click ok

jan

Re: Re-ordering children not working

On 01/24/2016 04:00 PM, KimFella wrote:

> I just went through several generations entering my direct ancestors, then
> went back later and started entering their siblings.  None of my ancestors
> were the first child of their parents, yet that is where they all show.  One
> of the Tip of the Days says the children can be ordered by drag and drop.
> Nope. Not happening.  At least not in Relationship View.  Click on the name
> goes to edit that person. Click and hold on the sibling order number and you
> can drag a "Person" icon/thumbnail around but the moment you release the
> button, it just zips back up to where it came from.  I'd like to know if the
> re-ordering can be done, and how.  Otherwise I'll have to delete and
> recreate the ones I've already done. Plus all the details I've already
> added.

Edit the family.  You'll see a window with Father in the upper left, Mother
in upper right and a numbered list of children talking up the entire lower
half of the window.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Re-ordering children not working

Tom Samstag
In the family view for the family containing the child you can reorder the children. Either find the
family in the "Families" view and double click on it, or from the Relationship View, click on the
pencil-icon button above the parents of the family.

 From the family editor, you should be able to drag and drop to reorder the children, or select a
child and use the up and down buttons to reorder.

On 2016-01-24 14:00, KimFella wrote:

> I just went through several generations entering my direct ancestors, then
> went back later and started entering their siblings.  None of my ancestors
> were the first child of their parents, yet that is where they all show.  One
> of the Tip of the Days says the children can be ordered by drag and drop.
> Nope. Not happening.  At least not in Relationship View.  Click on the name
> goes to edit that person. Click and hold on the sibling order number and you
> can drag a "Person" icon/thumbnail around but the moment you release the
> button, it just zips back up to where it came from.  I'd like to know if the
> re-ordering can be done, and how.  Otherwise I'll have to delete and
> recreate the ones I've already done. Plus all the details I've already
> added.
>
> Thank you.

Re: Re-ordering children not working

KimFella
jan bullock wrote
On 01/24/2016 04:00 PM, KimFella wrote:
> I just went through several generations entering my direct ancestors, then
> went back later and started entering their siblings.  None of my ancestors
> were the first child of their parents, yet that is where they all show.  One
> of the Tip of the Days says the children can be ordered by drag and drop.
> Nope. Not happening.  At least not in Relationship View.  Click on the name
> goes to edit that person. Click and hold on the sibling order number and you
> can drag a "Person" icon/thumbnail around but the moment you release the
> button, it just zips back up to where it came from.  I'd like to know if the
> re-ordering can be done, and how.  Otherwise I'll have to delete and
> recreate the ones I've already done. Plus all the details I've already
> added.

 From relationship, click on edit family (first icon) you get a family
list screen, highlight person you want to reorder and use up/down arrow
keys to move. When done click ok

jan
I selected Levi (5) Kimball and clicked on the Relationship icon in the Categories display down the left side of the screen. That brought up his family relationships in the screen I've been calling relationship view. That includes a list of his children with Russell (6), his 14th child, as the second in that list.  If I click on him I just go to the person details edit screen for him.  If I right-click and hold I get to move his icon all over the screen but once I let go he just pops back to second in the list.

There is no edit family icon.  There is a Reorder parents button on the menu bar, but it is greyed out (besides I don't want to reorder Levi's parents (what does that mean anyway? list mother first?)

Ron Johnson wrote

OK.  That's it. Thank you.  I probably found every other list of children, where you can't re-order, and missed that one.
Thank you. That did it.

Re: Re-ordering children not working

On 01/24/2016 04:51 PM, KimFella wrote:
[snip]
That brought up his family relationships in the screen I've been calling relationship view. That

Thus the confusion.  "Relationship" has a different, broader meaning in Gramps than does "Family".