Re: responding to questions raised by my request for help

Re: responding to questions raised by my request for help

Ron Johnson
On 05/23/2018 07:50 AM, Charles Cresswell wrote:

Ron and David,

              Thank you for taking the time to reply to my plea.

In July of 2017 I downloaded version 4.2.5 of Gramps AI064. I had created a family tree on Ancestry.com, but realized the advantages to Gramps.

I spent portions of the next eight months making screenshots of the documentation I wished to include in Gramps. Example: my paternal grandfather left England in about 1905, but he had English military records. Unable to download the English military records through Ancestry, I took screen shots of the portions of the records applicable to my grandfather. Likewise, I took screenshots of English census records, etc. that that I wished to include in my Gramps Gallery for the appropriate person.

About halfway through the project, I realized that if I wished to share my work with my family, they would not have access to the media (mainly screenshots and pictures) I have gathered, so I uploaded my media in Gramps to my Microsoft Onedrive account. As of March of 2018 things seemed to be fine, and my Gramps was working well and displaying the media properly.

This March I visited both my brother and sister in different states who also have family archives. My brother was interested in Gramps so we downloaded my media to his computer where he had downloaded Gramps. The media would not display on his Gramps Gallery, but I attributed that to the fact different computers would have different pathways to my pictures up in the Cloud, so I was not concerned and would work out the problem later.

When I returned to Austin with much new family material, I created a file for members of my Gramps family tree I call Gramps Gallery. Each person in my tree with any kind of media got a newly created folder in which their media was placed. I redid my entire Gramps tree person by person to match my Gramps Gallery Media with the Gallery in the Gramps program. Sometime in mid- April I finished, quite proud of myself.

This is when I think I made the blunder that bedevils me today. I deleted at the time what I thought were simply unnecessary earlier versions of Gramps Cresswell Family Trees. When trying to open my finally finished version, this is the error message I got, and still get,

[snip]

Not able to solve the problem, I managed to open an earlier version of my Gramps family tree and started all over again. I finished yesterday. Everything was working fine except every time I opened my Cresswell Family Tree a new version seemed to be created. Before I did anything, I backed up what I think are my Gramps file both to the Microsoft cloud, and to an external hard drive.

Now I’m back in trouble again. I now have 29 versions of my family tree.

[snip]

Every time I open what I think is a good version-one that displays all my changes accurately as of yesterday morning- it is changed to a new version.

Here’s what the new versions look

[snip]

version looks like: The photos and screenshots are replaced by the red X boxes.

I still have one Family tree that opens, is up to date, and is accurate. Instead of closing Gramps when that file is open by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner of the screen, I close it by going to Manage family trees and selecting Quit.

Anyway, until I understand more, I’m not going to do any of the following:

Update my version of Gramps

Edit in anyway all my existing versions of my family tree.

I noticed Ron does not include photos as part of his data file. I thought that they could not be separated.

While I’ve worked with computers since the late 70’s, I’m now 72 and don’t have the clarity I think I once had. Thanks again

I think I know the problem: your media files are all absolute paths, and should be relative.

In Edit->Preferences, set the "Base path for relative media paths:".  Note that this will only work if all your media is under a folder like C:\Users\Charles\Gramps Gallery.  Then go to Tools->Utilities->Media Manager and choose Convert paths from absolute to relative.

Then... don't back up your media using Gramps!!!!

Re: responding to questions raised by my request for help

Dave Scheipers
Hi Charles,

Wow!

When you start a new session of Gramps to work on your database, it seems that you are creating new database by importing from your backups each time. Do not click on the backup file. Start Gramps by using the Gramps 4.2.5 icon created and found in your start menu or the icon placed on your desktop. You are creating multiple instances of your database each time you import.

Ideally you would have one database. In the Menu >> Edit >> Preferences  >> Family Tree tab, check the box "Automatically load last family tree". This will cause Gramps to open the database you last used ready to continue your work. You may have other databases that you created from other programs when you changed over to gramps. I caution you to name these databases with very distinct names so that as you migrate between databases, the name displayed at the top of the screen makes it clear to you which database is open. You do not want to add new information to an old database that you may want to keep around for reference purposes.

I cannot tell you which database in your list found in the Manage Family Trees dialog is the database you actually want. But you can delete any of the other databases. I would suppose the database with the newest date is the best one to keep around. But the date is for last accessed, NOT last changed or new information added.

When you are making your backups, you are including your media files. There is an option in the backup to exclude media files (ie only the database data files). These backups will have .gramps as an extension. When media files are included the extension is .gpkg Since the folder for the media files was already created and populated with files, any new import will not override the existing folder which is what is happening in your first picture.

In the Menu >> Edit >> Preference, the general tab will show which folder Gramps is looking for your media files. This may or may not be where the import of the .gpkg file is storing them. So check all places where they might be, pare them down to just one base folder and make sure the media path you set in Preferences is the same.

I hope this makes sense and is the cause of your problems. Backups are to be stored away for when there is a problem. Hopefully you never need them. But I congratulate you on making the backups. Too often a user will post here "Help!" but because they do not make backups regularly their fixes are not so easy

Good luck and let us know if this solved your problem or not!

Practice safe file management, Dave

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Charles Cresswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ron and David,