Quantcast

Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

jerome
Hello,

> but i saved all my data
 (/home/user/) but i dont know that gramps was hide folder like .gramps
this is very very serious problem!!!!!

By default, your .gramps folder should be under '/home/user/' !
If you saved the parent /home folder, then you should also have saved your .gramps ?

> but i wanted to ask you help: how i can return from NAVWEB to gramps?

Doug B. generated a script for that ! :)
Give us some hours to find it on mailing archives.

Regards,
Jérôme

Re: Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

jerome
>> but i wanted to ask you help: how i can return from NAVWEB to gramps?
>>
> Doug B. generated a script for that ! :)
> Give us some hours to find it on mailing archives.

Archives => Nov 28, 2007; 4:55am Re: Lost grdb

"I wrote a quick-n-dirty html scraper that is about 75% of the way
there... I see some obvious errors (looks like a person becomes their
own child) and I didn't handle events (the CSV importer doesn't do
events, yet). There are probably other major things... ran out of time.

Here it is:

http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/getnarrative.py

and you run it like:

python getnarrative.py http://somewebsite.com/myfamily/ > import.csv

Then, in GRAMPS you should be able to import the file "import.csv" into
a blank database.

If you (or any one else) fix up the script, please share it back with us.

Good luck,

-Doug"

--
Jérôme

jerome a écrit :

> Hello,
>
>> but i saved all my data
>  (/home/user/) but i dont know that gramps was hide folder like .gramps
> this is very very serious problem!!!!!
>
> By default, your .gramps folder should be under '/home/user/' !
> If you saved the parent /home folder, then you should also have saved your .gramps ?
>
>> but i wanted to ask you help: how i can return from NAVWEB to gramps?
>
> Doug B. generated a script for that ! :)
> Give us some hours to find it on mailing archives.
>

> Regards,
> Jérôme

manuel_songokuh

>>By default, your .gramps folder should be under '/home/user/' !
>>If you saved the parent /home folder, then you should also have saved your .gramps ?

not i was "selected" in /home/user/ but i did not save folder "user" (home/user/) this is accidental..

>> but i wanted to ask you help: how i can return from NAVWEB to gramps?
>>
> Doug B. generated a script for that ! :)
> Give us some hours to find it on mailing archives.

>>>Archives => Nov 28, 2007; 4:55am Re: Lost grdb

>>>"I wrote a quick-n-dirty html scraper that is about 75% of the way there... I see some obvious errors (looks like a person becomes their own child) and I didn't >>>handle events (the CSV importer doesn't do events, yet). There are probably other major things... ran out of time.

>>>Here it is:

>>>http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/getnarrative.py

>>>and you run it like:

>>>python getnarrative.py http://somewebsite.com/myfamily/ > import.csv

>>>Then, in GRAMPS you should be able to import the file "import.csv" into a blank database.

>>>If you (or any one else) fix up the script, please share it back with us.

>>>Good luck,

>>>-Doug"

ok i will try it!!! but why has write "html scraper that is about 75% of the way there..." mean i lose 25%???

-- Jérôme

jerome a écrit :

> Hello,
>
>> but i saved all my data
>  (/home/user/) but i dont know that gramps was hide folder like .gramps this is very very serious problem!!!!!
>
> By default, your .gramps folder should be under '/home/user/' !
> If you saved the parent /home folder, then you should also have saved your .gramps ?
>
>> but i wanted to ask you help: how i can return from NAVWEB to gramps?
>
> Doug B. generated a script for that ! :)
> Give us some hours to find it on mailing archives.
>

> Regards,
> Jérôme

DS Blank
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:28 AM, manuel muzzurru
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Here is the gramps page for that, in case something changed/changes:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Narrative_Website_Import

> ok i will try it!!! but why has write "html scraper that is about 75% of the way there..." mean i lose 25%???

It is probably worse than that, as that script was written back for
Gramps 2.2 NarrativeWeb.

The point of this importer was to show that it is possible to
automatically recover the data from the web pages.

You can continue to work on the code, and get all the data back in (at
least all of the data that the webpages contains). Or you can also use
the website to manually re-enter the data. You don't have any other
reports or other output or exports?

You have to understand that you made a very basic and bad mistake, but
it is not the mistake that you think you made. Every Gramps user needs
to make XML backups (used to be exports, now you can do it through
menu -> Family Tree Manager -> Backup). Even if you had the
/home/user/.gramps/ directory, that doesn't guarantee you can get the
data. You need to make XML backups as often as you make changes.

Let us know how it goes, and maybe we can help you further. Good luck!

-Doug

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Here is the gramps page for that, in case something changed/changes:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Narrative_Website_Import

> ok i will try it!!! but why has write "html scraper that is about 75% of the way there..." mean i lose 25%???

It is probably worse than that, as that script was written back for
Gramps 2.2 NarrativeWeb.

The point of this importer was to show that it is possible to
automatically recover the data from the web pages.

You can continue to work on the code, and get all the data back in (at
least all of the data that the webpages contains). Or you can also use
the website to manually re-enter the data. You don't have any other
reports or other output or exports?

You have to understand that you made a very basic and bad mistake, but
it is not the mistake that you think you made. Every Gramps user needs
to make XML backups (used to be exports, now you can do it through
menu -> Family Tree Manager -> Backup). Even if you had the
/home/user/.gramps/ directory, that doesn't guarantee you can get the
data. You need to make XML backups as often as you make changes.

Let us know how it goes, and maybe we can help you further. Good luck!

-Doug

Re: Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

manuel_songokuh
sorry i'm back here..

i try to terminal linux:

python getnarrative.py http://somewebsite.com/myfamily/ > import.csv   (my site changed but it's private) but i open gramps and import but nothing nothing...
what i do for return from navweb to gramps??

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Here is the gramps page for that, in case something changed/changes:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Narrative_Website_Import

> ok i will try it!!! but why has write "html scraper that is about 75% of the way there..." mean i lose 25%???

It is probably worse than that, as that script was written back for
Gramps 2.2 NarrativeWeb.

The point of this importer was to show that it is possible to
automatically recover the data from the web pages.

You can continue to work on the code, and get all the data back in (at
least all of the data that the webpages contains). Or you can also use
the website to manually re-enter the data. You don't have any other
reports or other output or exports?

You have to understand that you made a very basic and bad mistake, but
it is not the mistake that you think you made. Every Gramps user needs
to make XML backups (used to be exports, now you can do it through
menu -> Family Tree Manager -> Backup). Even if you had the
/home/user/.gramps/ directory, that doesn't guarantee you can get the
data. You need to make XML backups as often as you make changes.

Let us know how it goes, and maybe we can help you further. Good luck!

-Doug

Re: Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

DS Blank
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:49 AM, manuel muzzurru
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> sorry i'm back here..
>
> i try to terminal linux:
>
> python getnarrative.py http://somewebsite.com/myfamily/ > import.csv   (my site changed but it's private) but i open gramps and import but nothing nothing...
> what i do for return from navweb to gramps??

Is there anything in the import.csv file? What version of NarrWeb is
this? What version of Gramps are you using?

If you want additional help, we may have to see some details. You can
post a bug in the issue tracker, and mark it private.

-Doug

Re: Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

manuel_songokuh
ok

gramps is 3.30
navweb version... but there is data from gramps to navweb is 6 march 2010..
there is file "import.csv"

but i did try to import from "import.csv" in gramps and nothing... i will sent you email private for my site navweb ok?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> sorry i'm back here..
>
> i try to terminal linux:
>
> python getnarrative.py http://somewebsite.com/myfamily/ > import.csv   (my site changed but it's private) but i open gramps and import but nothing nothing...
> what i do for return from navweb to gramps??

Is there anything in the import.csv file? What version of NarrWeb is
this? What version of Gramps are you using?

If you want additional help, we may have to see some details. You can
post a bug in the issue tracker, and mark it private.

-Doug

Re: Re : return from NAVWEB to GRAMPS and NOT HIDE!

DS Blank
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM, manuel muzzurru
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok
>
> gramps is 3.30
> navweb version... but there is data from gramps to navweb is 6 march 2010..
> there is file "import.csv"
>
> but i did try to import from "import.csv" in gramps and nothing... i will sent you email private for my site navweb ok?

Well, the file was basically empty... there is no data there. This is
easy to see by looking at the contents of the file.

Why is it empty? As I said, this script was written for a much early
version of NarrWeb. It wasn't written in a very robust way, but just
thrown together.

You will either need to find a friend that you can convince (or pay)
to do some Python programming, learn some Python yourself, or enter
the data by hand. There are less than 200 people; you could enter that
data from the website in a day or two. I would cut and paste between
the website and Gramps. The Data Entry Gramplet could help here, or
the Spreadsheet Import. Yes, I would make columns in a spreadsheet and
enter them that way:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.3_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

Good luck!

-Doug

i havent a friend for python, i'm not expert code, i'm only new new user gramps..

i need "copy" and "paste" from navweb to gramps????? nooo it's long long long time, I do not want to work because i did work long time : from freemakerfamily to gramps is very hard work but i did finished and begin to use gramps after i was inattentived not copy top /.gramps folder hide... this is damn!
then i wait for return to gramps with navweb....
thank you

________________________________
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok
>
> gramps is 3.30
> navweb version... but there is data from gramps to navweb is 6 march 2010..
> there is file "import.csv"
>
> but i did try to import from "import.csv" in gramps and nothing... i will sent you email private for my site navweb ok?

Well, the file was basically empty... there is no data there. This is
easy to see by looking at the contents of the file.

Why is it empty? As I said, this script was written for a much early
version of NarrWeb. It wasn't written in a very robust way, but just
thrown together.

You will either need to find a friend that you can convince (or pay)
to do some Python programming, learn some Python yourself, or enter
the data by hand. There are less than 200 people; you could enter that
data from the website in a day or two. I would cut and paste between
the website and Gramps. The Data Entry Gramplet could help here, or
the Spreadsheet Import. Yes, I would make columns in a spreadsheet and
enter them that way:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.3_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

Good luck!

-Doug

Chris Darnell
Hi Manuel,

I'm afraid either fixing the python script or copy/pasting the data
back into Gramps are your only two options.
The reason the script hasn't been kept up-to-date, is because not many
people has had a need for such a script.

Let this be your lesson to learn how to do proper backups of your hard work.
Since you explicitly state that you are in no way a developer, my
guess is that the easiest way for you will be to reenter the data,
which shouldn't take too long.
If you decide to fix the script, you can contribute your changes back
to the project.

BTW, it's narweb, not navweb. As in Narrative Web report.

Kind regards,
Chris Darnell

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM, manuel muzzurru
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello
>
> i havent a friend for python, i'm not expert code, i'm only new new user gramps..
>
> i need "copy" and "paste" from navweb to gramps????? nooo it's long long long time, I do not want to work because i did work long time : from freemakerfamily to gramps is very hard work but i did finished and begin to use gramps after i was inattentived not copy top /.gramps folder hide... this is damn!
> then i wait for return to gramps with navweb....
> thank you
>

> ________________________________

I wonder if it would not be more "simplier" to use Greasemonkey script
like (see other post) or XSLT scripts ? If you get content into XML
markups (or basic XHTML), I should be able to generate a simple (not
complete) Gramps XML file. Can you share a copy of a simple listing like
individuals index page with spouse and children ? Events index will be
different because handle values are not displayed but still possible.
The problem might be with Note objects, and secondary indices for
individuals and families. Sources are also complex, etc ...

Last issue will be your locale ! From Narrative web to Gramps means to
also translate attributes, key objects into english !!!

Note, where did you think that Gramps stores your database ? online ?
You used NarrativeWeb report some months ago, so you should also have an
other backup file somewhere, no ?
You said that you only made a backup of your home/user folder.
As .gramps is an hidden folder, maybe you saved .gramps into your backup
support and only do not display hidden folders (often on CD and DVD) ?

There was an other way to get data back if you used DescendantsLines before!
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=DescendantsLines
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=DescendantsLines#Pass_1:_generate_a_tmp_XML_with_only_data_needed_for_the_report.2C_to_load_it_as_input

Unfortunately this file was also stored under .gramps ... :(

Jérôme

manuel muzzurru a écrit :

> hello
>
> i havent a friend for python, i'm not expert code, i'm only new new user gramps..
>
> i need "copy" and "paste" from navweb to gramps????? nooo it's long long long time, I do not want to work because i did work long time : from freemakerfamily to gramps is very hard work but i did finished and begin to use gramps after i was inattentived not copy top /.gramps folder hide... this is damn!
> then i wait for return to gramps with navweb....
> thank you
>

> ________________________________

i haven't found a person knowing  Python programming.
then if one of you can work to convert from navweb to gramps 100% (not losing data)

I can pay but €5 or €10, via paypal ok?
thank you

________________________________

manuel muzzurru a écrit :

> hello
>
> i havent a friend for python, i'm not expert code, i'm only new new user gramps..
>
> i need "copy" and "paste" from navweb to gramps????? nooo it's long long long time, I do not want to work because i did work long time : from freemakerfamily to gramps is very hard work but i did finished and begin to use gramps after i was inattentived not copy top /.gramps folder hide... this is damn!
> then i wait for return to gramps with navweb....
> thank you
>

> ________________________________

OK, it is your only one solution to get your data back.

I cannot do this (technical limitations ...) but if one does that (if possible), then you should also give more details/informations!

* What was the gramps version who generated this web site ? (see the bottom of pages)
* Do you have any gendex.txt file at the root of the site ?
* Is the download page empty ?
* What are the column headers on your 'individuals.html' (or whatever your file extension)
* Is there a 'places.html' file ?
* Is there a 'events.html' file ?
* Is there a 'repositories.html' file ?
* Is there a 'adressbook.html' file ?
etc ...

Instead of writting/updating a HTML parser, first I will try some 'quick and dirty' methods...

1. Look at 'individuals.html' source code (or whatever your file extension)
2. remove all code before <tab ...> and after </tab>
3. save this modified code into a textual file with .xml extension
4. try to open this .xml file with LibreOffice Calc !!!

Now, you should get a quick index of your individuals
(ex: like into PersonView). Same idea for the others files (places, repositories)

5. to try to use the same template/model as csv for an import into Gramps.

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.3_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export#Family
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.3_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export#People

As said, this is not a coding, and you may have some problems with month names (parsing into your locale, like events and attributes) and detailed informations are missing (individual pages).

The handle value is not important if you do not have any relation between records, but it is still accessible via gendex.txt and/or url on 'individuals.html'. Same logic with 'places.html' and 'events.html' or 'source.html' and 'repositories.html'. Individual page is something special, which has been improved/modified according to gramps versions. So, I suppose there is no common way !

I hope this could help!

Jérôme

> i haven't found a person knowing  Python programming.
> then if one of you can work to convert from navweb to
> gramps 100% (not losing data)
>
> I can pay but €5 or €10, via paypal ok?
> thank you
>

> ________________________________
> Da: Jérôme <[hidden email]>

i replay to your quote.

OK, it is your only one solution to get your data back.

I cannot do this (technical limitations ...) but if one does that (if possible), then you should also give more details/informations!

* What was the gramps version who generated this web site ? (see the bottom of pages)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<6 march 2010 gramps

* Do you have any gendex.txt file at the root of the site ?
* Is the download page empty ?
* What are the column headers on your 'individuals.html' (or whatever your file extension)
* Is there a 'places.html' file ?
* Is there a 'events.html' file ?
* Is there a 'repositories.html' file ?
* Is there a 'adressbook.html' file ?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but it's private then can i send you email private?

Instead of writting/updating a HTML parser, first I will try some 'quick and dirty' methods...

1. Look at 'individuals.html' source code (or whatever your file extension)
2. remove all code before <tab ...> and after </tab>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but thare are not <tab...> and after </tab>.....?????

3. save this modified code into a textual file with .xml extension
4. try to open this .xml file with LibreOffice Calc !!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<i hope..... but not found <tab>...

[...]

YEAH I HOPE THIS COULD HELP!!!THANK YOU

Jérôme

> i haven't found a person knowing  Python programming.
> then if one of you can work to convert from navweb to
> gramps 100% (not losing data)
>
> I can pay but €5 or €10, via paypal ok?
> thank you
>

> ________________________________
> Da: Jérôme <[hidden email]>

Mmmmh, I made a quick test with Gramps 3.2.6 (code should be close to
last stable release on march 2010).

> * What was the gramps version who generated this web site ? (see the bottom of pages)
>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<6 march 2010 gramps

I have something like "Generated by Gramps 3.2.6-1 the 6 march 2010".
Do you have no gramps version on this line ?

>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but it's private then can i send you email private?

In fact, without them, we cannot quickly get these tables back...
They were optional on NarrativeWeb dialog.

It is not private for you !
I suppose you can see if they exist, no ?
Else individual pages will be the *last* solution.

> 2. remove all code before <tab ...> and after </tab>
>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but thare are not <tab...> and after </tab>.....?????

OK, sorry my bad !
it is <table> markup not <tab> ... :-[

Around line 45 to ...
Something like "<table class="infolist individual List">"

> YEAH I HOPE THIS COULD HELP!!!
I did this some months ago, this should still work.

Jérôme