Re : time for 3.4.2 release

jerome
> It would be great to have an ubuntu package again, Jerome did not succeed in creating that for 3.4.1.

I did it for 3.4.1 !!!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.4.1/gramps_3.4.1-1_all.deb/download

The package is not so ugly, isn't it?

I had a problem to understand why it needs duplicate changelog (why on source and translations?), but after following instructions, I was able to generate my first .deb... :)

Jérôme

Re: Re : time for 3.4.2 release

Benny Malengier

2012/10/17 jerome <[hidden email]>
> It would be great to have an ubuntu package again, Jerome did not succeed in creating that for 3.4.1.

I did it for 3.4.1 !!!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.4.1/gramps_3.4.1-1_all.deb/download

The package is not so ugly, isn't it?

Sorry Jerome, I remembered you had problems, and before the package always had ubuntu  in the name, so I supposed that was debian.

Benny

I had a problem to understand why it needs duplicate changelog (why on source and translations?), but after following instructions, I was able to generate my first .deb... :)

Jérôme

Re: Re : time for 3.4.2 release

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 04:06:45PM +0200, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2012/10/17 jerome <[hidden email]>
>
> > > It would be great to have an ubuntu package again, Jerome did not
> > succeed in creating that for 3.4.1.
> >
> > I did it for 3.4.1 !!!
> >

> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.4.1/gramps_3.4.1-1_all.deb/download
> >
> > The package is not so ugly, isn't it?
> >

> Sorry Jerome, I remembered you had problems, and before the package always
> had ubuntu  in the name, so I supposed that was debian.

FYI, there isn't a (debian) deb for 3.4.1 since it came out after the
freeze for the next release of debian. Uploads of new packages won't
resume for some months.

--
James (Jay) Treacy

Re: Re : time for 3.4.2 release

> Sorry Jerome

It is OK, it was just to inform that the .deb was available for 3.4.1
  ;)

> and before the package always had ubuntu  in the name, so I supposed that was debian.

Could this explain why the heuristic detection failed to match my OS on
sourceforge download? It still points to 3.4.0 for Ubuntu.

Le 17/10/2012 16:06, Benny Malengier a écrit :

> 2012/10/17 jerome <[hidden email]>
>
>>> It would be great to have an ubuntu package again, Jerome did not
>> succeed in creating that for 3.4.1.
>>
>> I did it for 3.4.1 !!!
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.4.1/gramps_3.4.1-1_all.deb/download
>>
>> The package is not so ugly, isn't it?
>>

> Sorry Jerome, I remembered you had problems, and before the package always
> had ubuntu  in the name, so I supposed that was debian.
>
> Benny
>

>> I had a problem to understand why it needs duplicate changelog (why on
>> source and translations?), but after following instructions, I was able to
>> generate my first .deb... :)
>>

>> Jérôme
>>
>> --- En date de : Mer 17.10.12, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>> De: Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
>> Objet: [Gramps-devel] time for 3.4.2 release
>> À: "Stephane Charette" <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: "Gramps Development List" <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Mercredi 17 octobre 2012, 11h53
>>
>> Stephane,
>>
>> Do you have time for a release? The 3.4.2 roadmap is cleaned up:
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php
>> It can be done
>>   immediately, people have been notified more than 10 days ago this was
>> imminent.
>>

>> Main issues people had that are fixed are:
>> * [Reports] The desciption for events are missing in the webreport
>> * How to fix invalid Database Path?
>> * Person and Family pass eventref as object with sources, but it has no
>> sources
>>
>> * Not all sourcebase objects have the same source filters
>> * GEDCOM import fixes.
>>
>> It would be great to have an ubuntu package again, Jerome did not succeed
>> in creating that for 3.4.1.
>>
>> Anybody has a good name? See
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Previous_releases
>>

>> Benny
>>

>> -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: time for 3.4.2 release

John Ralls-2

On Oct 17, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sorry Jerome
>
> It is OK, it was just to inform that the .deb was available for 3.4.1
>  ;)
>
>> and before the package always had ubuntu  in the name, so I supposed that was debian.
>
> Could this explain why the heuristic detection failed to match my OS on
> sourceforge download? It still points to 3.4.0 for Ubuntu.

No, after you do the upload you have to tag it as the default (click the "i" next to the downloads graph) for the OS, but there's only Linux, BSD, and Solaris, so tagging a .deb or fcxx doesn't make a lot of sense. I looked at 3.4.0 and nothing is tagged for any of them, but the source tarball is tagged for "Others", so I tagged the 3.4.1 Win32 AIO for Windows and the source tarball for Others (I'd already tagged Mac when I uploaded it).

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: time for 3.4.2 release

jerome
Not all have access to the File Manager (Web Interface)[1].
I had used the shell service[2]!

I saw the description of the 'default download' feature:

"To change file details, click the "i" icon
    * Exclude stats" will omit this file from being counted in the download statistics
    * Default download for" controls which file is the recommended download for visitors, based on their OS. If not set for any file in the project, heuristics are used to automatically pick a recent upload with an appropriate file extension for the OS.
    * Download button" allows you to change the label on the download button seen by your visitors."

I asked Brian and I agree with him, heuristics used by sourceforge could be wrong! Or some files have OS set in the project?

[1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download#FileManagerWebInterface
[2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Shell%20service

Jérôme

> On Oct 17, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Jérôme <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry Jerome
> >
> > It is OK, it was just to inform that the .deb was
> available for 3.4.1
> >  ;)
> >
> >> and before the package always had ubuntu  in
> the name, so I supposed that was debian.
> >
> > Could this explain why the heuristic detection failed
> to match my OS on
> > sourceforge download? It still points to 3.4.0 for
> Ubuntu.
>
> No, after you do the upload you have to tag it as the
> default (click the "i" next to the downloads graph) for the
> OS, but there's only Linux, BSD, and Solaris, so tagging a
> .deb or fcxx doesn't make a lot of sense. I looked at 3.4.0
> and nothing is tagged for any of them, but the source
> tarball is tagged for "Others", so I tagged the 3.4.1 Win32
> AIO for Windows and the source tarball for Others (I'd
> already tagged Mac when I uploaded it).
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Re: time for 3.4.2 release

John Ralls-2

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:21 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not all have access to the File Manager (Web Interface)[1].
> I had used the shell service[2]!
>
> I saw the description of the 'default download' feature:
>
> "To change file details, click the "i" icon
>   * Exclude stats" will omit this file from being counted in the download statistics
>   * Default download for" controls which file is the recommended download for visitors, based on their OS. If not set for any file in the project, heuristics are used to automatically pick a recent upload with an appropriate file extension for the OS.
>   * Download button" allows you to change the label on the download button seen by your visitors."
>
> I asked Brian and I agree with him, heuristics used by sourceforge could be wrong! Or some files have OS set in the project?
>

> [1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download#FileManagerWebInterface
> [2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Shell%20service

I didn't know about the heuristics, and I didn't actually change the settings last night. Anyway, since there were files with "default download for" set, the heuristics were disabled. It also turns out that I'd missed that the default for Linux was set to gramps-3.4.0-1.deb, which is what I think you were seeing.

I've now removed all of those settings, and the heuristic results are interesting:
Win7-64: Correctly recommends GrampsAIO64-3.4.1-1.exe
WinXP-32: Incorrectly recommends the same.
OSX 10.8: Correctly recommends Gramps-Intel-3.4.1-1.dmg
OSX 10.4 (PPC): Incorrectly recommends the same.
Fedora 17-64: Recommends "lgenealogy-6.1-desktop-i386.iso". Huh? That's in 3.2.5!
Debian Wheezy-64: Correctly recommends gramps_3.4.1_all.deb

I'm talking with SF support on IRC to see if it can be made to work for Fedora.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: time for 3.4.2 release

John Ralls-2

On Oct 18, 2012, at 11:57 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:21 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not all have access to the File Manager (Web Interface)[1].
>> I had used the shell service[2]!
>>
>> I saw the description of the 'default download' feature:
>>
>> "To change file details, click the "i" icon
>>  * Exclude stats" will omit this file from being counted in the download statistics
>>  * Default download for" controls which file is the recommended download for visitors, based on their OS. If not set for any file in the project, heuristics are used to automatically pick a recent upload with an appropriate file extension for the OS.
>>  * Download button" allows you to change the label on the download button seen by your visitors."
>>
>> I asked Brian and I agree with him, heuristics used by sourceforge could be wrong! Or some files have OS set in the project?
>>

>> [1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download#FileManagerWebInterface
>> [2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Shell%20service
>

> I didn't know about the heuristics, and I didn't actually change the settings last night. Anyway, since there were files with "default download for" set, the heuristics were disabled. It also turns out that I'd missed that the default for Linux was set to gramps-3.4.0-1.deb, which is what I think you were seeing.
>
> I've now removed all of those settings, and the heuristic results are interesting:
> Win7-64: Correctly recommends GrampsAIO64-3.4.1-1.exe
> WinXP-32: Incorrectly recommends the same.
> OSX 10.8: Correctly recommends Gramps-Intel-3.4.1-1.dmg
> OSX 10.4 (PPC): Incorrectly recommends the same.
> Fedora 17-64: Recommends "lgenealogy-6.1-desktop-i386.iso". Huh? That's in 3.2.5!
> Debian Wheezy-64: Correctly recommends gramps_3.4.1_all.deb
>
> I'm talking with SF support on IRC to see if it can be made to work for Fedora.

Well, that didn't go anywhere. It seems that we can either leave it as-is, with Debian user agents getting the .deb and all other Linux user agents getting the ancient ISO, set the defaults explicitly (in which case, what do we set for Linux?), or, instead of just pointing at the Sourceforge Files page and hoping for the best, we can have explicit links on the website (which is what Gnucash does).

It seems a user filed a bug [1] which was escalated [2]. I've added a comment to the latter, maybe we can get some guidance.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: time for 3.4.2 release

John Ralls-2

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:30 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2012, at 11:57 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:21 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not all have access to the File Manager (Web Interface)[1].
>>> I had used the shell service[2]!
>>>
>>> I saw the description of the 'default download' feature:
>>>
>>> "To change file details, click the "i" icon
>>> * Exclude stats" will omit this file from being counted in the download statistics
>>> * Default download for" controls which file is the recommended download for visitors, based on their OS. If not set for any file in the project, heuristics are used to automatically pick a recent upload with an appropriate file extension for the OS.
>>> * Download button" allows you to change the label on the download button seen by your visitors."
>>>
>>> I asked Brian and I agree with him, heuristics used by sourceforge could be wrong! Or some files have OS set in the project?
>>>

>>> [1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download#FileManagerWebInterface
>>> [2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Shell%20service
>>

>> I didn't know about the heuristics, and I didn't actually change the settings last night. Anyway, since there were files with "default download for" set, the heuristics were disabled. It also turns out that I'd missed that the default for Linux was set to gramps-3.4.0-1.deb, which is what I think you were seeing.
>>
>> I've now removed all of those settings, and the heuristic results are interesting:
>> Win7-64: Correctly recommends GrampsAIO64-3.4.1-1.exe
>> WinXP-32: Incorrectly recommends the same.
>> OSX 10.8: Correctly recommends Gramps-Intel-3.4.1-1.dmg
>> OSX 10.4 (PPC): Incorrectly recommends the same.
>> Fedora 17-64: Recommends "lgenealogy-6.1-desktop-i386.iso". Huh? That's in 3.2.5!
>> Debian Wheezy-64: Correctly recommends gramps_3.4.1_all.deb
>>
>> I'm talking with SF support on IRC to see if it can be made to work for Fedora.
>
> Well, that didn't go anywhere. It seems that we can either leave it as-is, with Debian user agents getting the .deb and all other Linux user agents getting the ancient ISO, set the defaults explicitly (in which case, what do we set for Linux?), or, instead of just pointing at the Sourceforge Files page and hoping for the best, we can have explicit links on the website (which is what Gnucash does).
>
> It seems a user filed a bug [1] which was escalated [2]. I've added a comment to the latter, maybe we can get some guidance.

Oops, forgot to add the pointers:
[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/474/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/4893/