Re: 'tis the season

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Are people stressing because of the season is is it something else?

Some threads have gotten snippy, confrontational or demanding.  Can we get back to 'friendly'?

Everybody here is volunteering their time. And most of us are getting a free ride from nearly 2 decades of work gifted to us by others.

If you didn't write every line of code & every word of documentation, you've been given a gift. I have immeasurable gratitude for this gift.  I'm trying to 'pay it forward'. (Although the smugness of that phrase grates mightily.) I hope you feel the same and take a moment to let that feeling help decide whether to hit 'Send' on each posting.

-Brian

Re: 'tis the season

StoltHD
Asking for a feature or telling that something doesn't work as it should is also a way of contributing !
Not everyone are developers or Wiki writers... Again, remember that a lot of people wanting to use Gramps (or other software) can have problems even making a print screen and save it as a file...

But I'm out of here, clearly I'm to demanding... I even dared to asked for for Places as subject for Events in Gramps...

ons. 4. des. 2019 kl. 18:18 skrev Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>:
Are people stressing because of the season is is it something else?

Some threads have gotten snippy, confrontational or demanding.  Can we get back to 'friendly'?

Everybody here is volunteering their time. And most of us are getting a free ride from nearly 2 decades of work gifted to us by others.

If you didn't write every line of code & every word of documentation, you've been given a gift. I have immeasurable gratitude for this gift.  I'm trying to 'pay it forward'. (Although the smugness of that phrase grates mightily.) I hope you feel the same and take a moment to let that feeling help decide whether to hit 'Send' on each posting.

-Brian

Re: 'tis the season

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I share your sentiments. Thanks posting that.

Did you see Paul Culley found the cause & fixed the failure to report an error on backup to a full drive?

It'll be in the next release.  (You could download the patched files now but the GitHub gymnastics are pretty involved. Then you have to replace them in the right folders. Since it's a non-destructive failure, I'd just wait.)

-Brian

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 13:50, Connie Mack

Re: 'tis the season

Peter Merchant
On 04/12/2019 19:07, StoltHD wrote:
> But I'm out of here, clearly I'm to demanding... I even dared to asked for for Places as subject for Events in Gramps...

Don't go. You have interesting ideas.

Peter M.

Re: 'tis the season

Connie Mack
I agree. Jaran, you have given me a valuable gift, not only of a great deal of your time troubleshooting, but teaching me how to use Open Refine. I'm still working with it and it is a valuable resource for cleaning up data.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 3:54 AM Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/12/2019 19:07, StoltHD wrote:
> But I'm out of here, clearly I'm to demanding... I even dared to asked for for Places as subject for Events in Gramps...

Don't go. You have interesting ideas.

Peter M.

Re: 'tis the season

Duncan Lithgow
I haven't been active on this list for many years. One thing I learnt back then is that it's not very constructive complaining that x doesn't work how I think it should. It's much more rewarding to be curious about finding what we agree is important and finding ways to help fix them.

Regards, Duncan

On 12/4/19 1:07 PM, StoltHD wrote:
Asking for a feature or telling that something doesn't work as it should is also a way of contributing !
Not everyone are developers or Wiki writers... Again, remember that a lot of people wanting to use Gramps (or other software) can have problems even making a print screen and save it as a file...

But I'm out of here, clearly I'm to demanding... I even dared to asked for for Places as subject for Events in Gramps...

Having asked for and presented what I thought were good and rational arguments for new features, and never seen them iplemented... I think I'm justified in writing that demanding features of open source developers is rude.  Requesting features happens all the time, but -- unless you're willing to provide competent patches -- relies solely on the whim and desire of the developers.

Re: 'tis the season

StoltHD
Ron, so for you asking for full support for keyboard key combos thats an iso standard and on a supported platform, is demands and rude?

Great logic

Re: 'tis the season

I suggest that we close this thread now.