Recent 5.0.2 and 5.1.0 releases

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Recent 5.0.2 and 5.1.0 releases

Nick Hall
Devs,

Our release dates appear to have become inconsistent.  Version 5.0.2 was
tagged on 8th Aug and the GitHub release created on 18th Aug.  Version
5.1.0 was tagged on 17th Aug and the GitHub release created on 21st
Aug.  For v5.0.2 we are using the tag date, which seems reasonable, but
for v5.1.0 we are using the GitHub release date.

This has never been an issue in the past since the release and
announcements were on the same day.  I suggest we go back to this
approach to avoid confusion.  Where there is a difference we should use
the tag date.

The blog announcements were both made on 22nd Aug and on the mailing
list announcements on 23rd Aug.  However the wiki Downloads and News
pages still refer to the latest version as v5.0.2.  This prompted a user
to ask if the v5.1.0 announcement was made in error.

I also made a couple of observations.  Some old style tags starting
"gramps-" were pushed back to the repository.  I don't know if this was
related to the release, but I have removed them. The release notes on
the wiki no longer contain links to related bugs.  Were they helpful?

Should I update the wiki to version 5.1.0 now?

Regards,


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recent 5.0.2 and 5.1.0 releases

Nick Hall
On 25/08/2019 01:27, Sam Manzi wrote:
> Wiki & blog updated to reflect 5.1.0 release dates.

Thank you.


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recent 5.0.2 and 5.1.0 releases

prculley
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
As you might imagine, the 5.1.0 release took some extra time and had a few issues, as I had not done a 'major' release before and the wiki left off a few steps.

One thing that happened is that somehow the operation to push the new tag did not work the first time.  I still don't know why, I only figured this out when Github had not generated the release files.  I ended up doing a "git push --tags upstream" to get it updated on Github, I guess that caused the extra tags to be copied up again.  Is there a way to make sure my repo has the same tags as the main Gramps repo?  I would have thought that "git fetch --all" would have gotten everything right, but I still don't fully understand all of git...

The instructions on updating the various wiki pages are a bit weak.  We should probably be a bit more specific on getting these done.  For instance, I was not aware that we used to have the bug links on the Template page with other news, I basically copied the News file from the release there with the minor editing to make it display correctly.  Looks like if we want it different, there is a bit more manual editing to create the file from the changelog.

Paul C.



On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 9:37 AM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Devs,

Our release dates appear to have become inconsistent.  Version 5.0.2 was
tagged on 8th Aug and the GitHub release created on 18th Aug.  Version
5.1.0 was tagged on 17th Aug and the GitHub release created on 21st
Aug.  For v5.0.2 we are using the tag date, which seems reasonable, but
for v5.1.0 we are using the GitHub release date.

This has never been an issue in the past since the release and
announcements were on the same day.  I suggest we go back to this
approach to avoid confusion.  Where there is a difference we should use
the tag date.

The blog announcements were both made on 22nd Aug and on the mailing
list announcements on 23rd Aug.  However the wiki Downloads and News
pages still refer to the latest version as v5.0.2.  This prompted a user
to ask if the v5.1.0 announcement was made in error.

I also made a couple of observations.  Some old style tags starting
"gramps-" were pushed back to the repository.  I don't know if this was
related to the release, but I have removed them. The release notes on
the wiki no longer contain links to related bugs.  Were they helpful?

Should I update the wiki to version 5.1.0 now?

Regards,


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel


_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recent 5.0.2 and 5.1.0 releases

Nick Hall
On 25/08/2019 23:01, Paul Culley wrote:
> As you might imagine, the 5.1.0 release took some extra time and had a
> few issues, as I had not done a 'major' release before and the wiki
> left off a few steps.


Yes.  A major release requires thorough methodical testing.  I always
found that this was the most time consuming and boring part of the
release process.


>
> One thing that happened is that somehow the operation to push the new
> tag did not work the first time.  I still don't know why, I only
> figured this out when Github had not generated the release files.  I
> ended up doing a "git push --tags upstream" to get it updated on
> Github, I guess that caused the extra tags to be copied up again.  Is
> there a way to make sure my repo has the same tags as the main Gramps
> repo?  I would have thought that "git fetch --all" would have gotten
> everything right, but I still don't fully understand all of git...


To delete the old tags run something like:

git tag -d `git tag -l 'gramps*'`

Then I cleaned up the repository with the "--prune" option.  You can
always use the "--dry-run" option to check what you are going to push.


>
> The instructions on updating the various wiki pages are a bit weak. 
> We should probably be a bit more specific on getting these done.  For
> instance, I was not aware that we used to have the bug links on the
> Template page with other news, I basically copied the News file from
> the release there with the minor editing to make it display
> correctly.  Looks like if we want it different, there is a bit more
> manual editing to create the file from the changelog.
>

The "What to do for a release" page is a useful checklist, but can
benefit from improvements.

I always edited the News page manually to add the bug references, but it
can probably be done automatically now we use the bug tracker source
integration functionality.  The bug references stopped with version 5.0.1.

I never updated the Wikipedia entry or IRC topic.  Do we still use IRC? 
Who are the channel operators?


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Afrikaans Translation(s)

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Hi,

I made a first draft translation to Afrikaans of gramps. Which of the
gramplets would be good to do next?

Regards.

Louis.



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

Nick Hall
On 27/08/2019 19:00, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
> I made a first draft translation to Afrikaans of gramps. Which of the
> gramplets would be good to do next?

How far have you got with the translation?  Which gramplets have you
translated so far?

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
I've done everything. I'm now using it to see if is correct. My
intention is also not to translate for computer experts, but for people
with just basic knowledge of computers.

In the translation tool the context of the original is not always clear
and my tool (Lokalize) does not want to open the source to give me a
better understanding of the context. (Which ties to a previous comment
about translations.) Translation Memories for Afrikaans-English is scarce.

The choice of prepositions and tenses are currently the main issues to
verify. When that is finished I will release it for others to validate.

There are several of the texts that could be combined with a single
context variable. An example would be the messages about merging. They
are all the same except for the type of objects that are to be merged.
That would speed up the translation to other languages and reduce the
possibility of errors.  A glossary would also be nice.

Another aspect that would aid in translation would be a test database
that includes the available variants with the expected outputs. The
notes to these people and families would then guide the translator.

As as I understand, have I not translated anything else but the main PO
file derived from gramps.po. (that is what I can see in the testing)..
Later, much later, will I attempt to translate the wiki.

Louis.


On 28/08/2019 00:42, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 27/08/2019 19:00, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
>> I made a first draft translation to Afrikaans of gramps. Which of the
>> gramplets would be good to do next?
>
> How far have you got with the translation?  Which gramplets have you
> translated so far?
>
> Nick.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

Nick Hall
On 28/08/2019 08:52, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
> As as I understand, have I not translated anything else but the main PO
> file derived from gramps.po. (that is what I can see in the testing)..
> Later, much later, will I attempt to translate the wiki.

Start with the po file, then translate the date handler and relationship
calculator.  We are planning to release version 5.1.1 shortly, so if you
have something ready then we can add Afrikaans as a new translation.

The third-party addons and wiki do not follow the same release schedule
as core Gramps, so you can update translations for these at any time.

Once we include Afrikaans in a release, you may start getting some feedback.

Regards,


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Which files are these: date handler and relationship calculator

Regards.

Louis.

On 28/08/2019 18:57, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 28/08/2019 08:52, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
>> As as I understand, have I not translated anything else but the main PO
>> file derived from gramps.po. (that is what I can see in the testing)..
>> Later, much later, will I attempt to translate the wiki.
>
> Start with the po file, then translate the date handler and
> relationship calculator.  We are planning to release version 5.1.1
> shortly, so if you have something ready then we can add Afrikaans as a
> new translation.
>
> The third-party addons and wiki do not follow the same release
> schedule as core Gramps, so you can update translations for these at
> any time.
>
> Once we include Afrikaans in a release, you may start getting some
> feedback.
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Nick.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

Nick Hall
On 28/08/2019 19:49, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
> Which files are these: date handler and relationship calculator

For the datehandler, create a file called _date_af.py in the
gramps/gen/datehandler folder.  Copy one of the existing files and add
an import in the __init__.py file.

For the relationship calculator, create a file called rel_af.py in the
gramps/plugins/rel folder.  Copy one of the existing files and add an
entry in the relplugins.gpr.py file.


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Afrikaans Translation(s)

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Tnx I will do that.

On 29/08/2019 16:12, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 28/08/2019 19:49, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
>> Which files are these: date handler and relationship calculator
>
> For the datehandler, create a file called _date_af.py in the
> gramps/gen/datehandler folder.  Copy one of the existing files and add
> an import in the __init__.py file.
>
> For the relationship calculator, create a file called rel_af.py in the
> gramps/plugins/rel folder.  Copy one of the existing files and add an
> entry in the relplugins.gpr.py file.
>
>
> Nick.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Frequent error

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Hi,

I frequently experience the following:

sqlite3.OperationalError: cannot start a transaction within a transaction

For instance on the last time I just added a father to a family when it
happened. Nothing else was open or being done.

Should I submit a bug report or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Louis.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Frequent error

Nick Hall
On 30/08/2019 10:22, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
> Should I submit a bug report or am I doing something wrong?

Yes.  Please submit a bug report with steps detailing how to reproduce
the error.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Frequent error

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
I tried, but when attempt to select the project the system does not
allow me and without selecting a project you can't go any further.

On 30/08/2019 14:21, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 30/08/2019 10:22, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel wrote:
>> Should I submit a bug report or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Yes.  Please submit a bug report with steps detailing how to reproduce
> the error.
>
> Nick.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Autodetect on import

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
Hi,

I am currently converting text to import. If I pick the GEDCOM file and
leave autodetect on it gives an error. I have to select the format else
the import does not start. It seems autodetect does not recognise the file.

Regards,

Louis.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autodetect on import

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Louis,

Have you tried the Gramps-User maillist for this kind of troubleshooting or isolating a bug question?  

Your initial posting was on adding your Afrikaans translation to the Gramps project. (Thank you for that work!) And, since customizing the localization file doesn't REQUIRE mad Python coding skills, I suspect that the pool of Translator contributors might be wider there too. 

There are simply more of us users and we have used (or abused) Gramps in more different configurations than our small pool of developers. It is likely that one of us has seen your issue and can respond without taking a Developer away from fixing an already isolated/filed or new feature.

We'll be intrigued by the prospect of figuring out why you're seeing a problem when others are already using the feature without issue. (A lot of issues are traceable to configuration or installation problems. So please post the OS & version of Gramps you're using in each new maillist thread.)

As for the GEDCOM auto-detect, you didn't say what file type you're using nor what generated the exported file. GEDCOM is a VERY non-standard Standard. The many flavors confuse the palate of the parsers.

If our importer is like most auto-detect filetype features, it is based on filename extension, with a subsequent Content Validation test grading with a simple pass/fail. But other user may have more insights

I think we can help we users might be able to help you with getting started with the MantisBT bug reports too. Personally, rather than starting with selecting the project, I recommend going into the My Account and setting up a default profile for the system running your copy of Gramps. It saves steps in every bug report. Plus, it is at a different level of MantisBT configuration, if you can select things there either, you might not have a valid account. Is your "My Account" showing "Reporter" as the "Access Level"?

More importantly, compose your Summary line, Description,  Steps To Reproduce, and Additional Information texts BEFORE ever signing into MantisBT reporter. The browser session log-in times out WAY too quickly and you can lose all that work if you compose a bug report within the Browser. Incredibly frustrating!

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 3:47, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel
Hi,

I am currently converting text to import. If I pick the GEDCOM file and
leave autodetect on it gives an error. I have to select the format else
the import does not start. It seems autodetect does not recognise the file.

Regards,

Louis.





_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel


_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autodetect on import

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Brian,

Thanks for the response.

The files as detected by the 'file' system command are:

ben01.ged2: GEDCOM genealogy text version 5.5.1, UTF-8 Unicode text
ben02.ged2: GEDCOM genealogy text version 5.5.1, UTF-8 Unicode text

The were in actual fact build like exports from gramps. If I tell gramps they are GEDCOM they import perfectly without errors.

So if it's not a bug, fine. It's still annoying.

Afrikaans translation is my first step later I will do other things as the time goes.

Louis.

On 03/09/2019 12:24, [hidden email] wrote:
Louis,

Have you tried the Gramps-User maillist for this kind of troubleshooting or isolating a bug question?  

Your initial posting was on adding your Afrikaans translation to the Gramps project. (Thank you for that work!) And, since customizing the localization file doesn't REQUIRE mad Python coding skills, I suspect that the pool of Translator contributors might be wider there too. 

There are simply more of us users and we have used (or abused) Gramps in more different configurations than our small pool of developers. It is likely that one of us has seen your issue and can respond without taking a Developer away from fixing an already isolated/filed or new feature.

We'll be intrigued by the prospect of figuring out why you're seeing a problem when others are already using the feature without issue. (A lot of issues are traceable to configuration or installation problems. So please post the OS & version of Gramps you're using in each new maillist thread.)

As for the GEDCOM auto-detect, you didn't say what file type you're using nor what generated the exported file. GEDCOM is a VERY non-standard Standard. The many flavors confuse the palate of the parsers.

If our importer is like most auto-detect filetype features, it is based on filename extension, with a subsequent Content Validation test grading with a simple pass/fail. But other user may have more insights

I think we can help we users might be able to help you with getting started with the MantisBT bug reports too. Personally, rather than starting with selecting the project, I recommend going into the My Account and setting up a default profile for the system running your copy of Gramps. It saves steps in every bug report. Plus, it is at a different level of MantisBT configuration, if you can select things there either, you might not have a valid account. Is your "My Account" showing "Reporter" as the "Access Level"?

More importantly, compose your Summary line, Description,  Steps To Reproduce, and Additional Information texts BEFORE ever signing into MantisBT reporter. The browser session log-in times out WAY too quickly and you can lose all that work if you compose a bug report within the Browser. Incredibly frustrating!

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 3:47, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel
Hi,

I am currently converting text to import. If I pick the GEDCOM file and
leave autodetect on it gives an error. I have to select the format else
the import does not start. It seems autodetect does not recognise the file.

Regards,

Louis.





_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autodetect on import

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Louis, 

There is no corresponding importer in Gramps for the GED2 exporter.

Please try changing the extension on the file named  ben01.ged2  and see if the auto-detection works as expected.

Change to 
  ben01.ged

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 9:32, LLSJ Krüger
Brian,

Thanks for the response.

The files as detected by the 'file' system command are:

ben01.ged2: GEDCOM genealogy text version 5.5.1, UTF-8 Unicode text
ben02.ged2: GEDCOM genealogy text version 5.5.1, UTF-8 Unicode text

The were in actual fact build like exports from gramps. If I tell gramps they are GEDCOM they import perfectly without errors.

So if it's not a bug, fine. It's still annoying.

Afrikaans translation is my first step later I will do other things as the time goes.

Louis.

On 03/09/2019 12:24, [hidden email] wrote:
Louis,

Have you tried the Gramps-User maillist for this kind of troubleshooting or isolating a bug question?  

Your initial posting was on adding your Afrikaans translation to the Gramps project. (Thank you for that work!) And, since customizing the localization file doesn't REQUIRE mad Python coding skills, I suspect that the pool of Translator contributors might be wider there too. 

There are simply more of us users and we have used (or abused) Gramps in more different configurations than our small pool of developers. It is likely that one of us has seen your issue and can respond without taking a Developer away from fixing an already isolated/filed or new feature.

We'll be intrigued by the prospect of figuring out why you're seeing a problem when others are already using the feature without issue. (A lot of issues are traceable to configuration or installation problems. So please post the OS & version of Gramps you're using in each new maillist thread.)

As for the GEDCOM auto-detect, you didn't say what file type you're using nor what generated the exported file. GEDCOM is a VERY non-standard Standard. The many flavors confuse the palate of the parsers.

If our importer is like most auto-detect filetype features, it is based on filename extension, with a subsequent Content Validation test grading with a simple pass/fail. But other user may have more insights

I think we can help we users might be able to help you with getting started with the MantisBT bug reports too. Personally, rather than starting with selecting the project, I recommend going into the My Account and setting up a default profile for the system running your copy of Gramps. It saves steps in every bug report. Plus, it is at a different level of MantisBT configuration, if you can select things there either, you might not have a valid account. Is your "My Account" showing "Reporter" as the "Access Level"?

More importantly, compose your Summary line, Description,  Steps To Reproduce, and Additional Information texts BEFORE ever signing into MantisBT reporter. The browser session log-in times out WAY too quickly and you can lose all that work if you compose a bug report within the Browser. Incredibly frustrating!

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 3:47, LLSJ Krüger via Gramps-devel
Hi,

I am currently converting text to import. If I pick the GEDCOM file and
leave autodetect on it gives an error. I have to select the format else
the import does not start. It seems autodetect does not recognise the file.

Regards,

Louis.





_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel



_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel