Recommended way to document / link to census images

Recommended way to document / link to census images

Ritchie Fraser
Hi all,

I'm new to the list but have been dabbling with Gramps for a while.
I have some jpg images of census pages. what is the recommended way to link them in GRAMPS.
I have set up FREECEN (https://www.freecen.org.uk) as a repository and created a source called "1891 Census".
I have some individuals all nicely linked as a family.

Do I link to the image file in the media section then attach the media to a citation and then associate the citation to a family event or an individual event?
Should I create a single event called "1891 Census" and then link family record and individual records to the single event? In which case how do I use citations?

How do others link single census pages to individuals/families? Is there a preferred way to do this?

Kind regards

Ritchie

Re: Recommended way to document / link to census images

Philip Weiss
"Do I link to the image file in the media section then attach the media to a citation and then associate the citation to a family event or an individual event?"

Yes, with an "individual" event where multiple people are linked on it.  You should use family events pretty much only for marriages & divorces.  (You don't have to do it that way, but unwinding things like property and census events from family attachments is a PITA later.)

Highly recommend installing the "Form" gramplet which has a number of censuses built in.  You'll tag your 1891 Census source so it can be used in the Form gramplet. Then when you have a census page, you enter all the information for all the people in the household using the form, which will create the event, the citation, and the media object, and attach all them in the right places with information you enter from the census page.

Phil.

On 4/25/19 4:19 PM, Ritchie Fraser wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the list but have been dabbling with Gramps for a while.
I have some jpg images of census pages. what is the recommended way to link them in GRAMPS.
I have set up FREECEN (https://www.freecen.org.uk) as a repository and created a source called "1891 Census".
I have some individuals all nicely linked as a family.

Do I link to the image file in the media section then attach the media to a citation and then associate the citation to a family event or an individual event?

Yes, to an Individual Event.  Then share that event with as many relevant Persons as required.

Should I create a single event called "1891 Census"

NO.  A Census Event happens to a Person, but the nationwide "1891 Census" is not an Event that happens to a single Person.  (After all, it happens to lots of people.)  The "1891 Census" is a Source of Citations.

The enumerator walking to your ancestor's house and getting the list of People who live there is an Individual Event that's shared by all the people in the house.  The Citation "proving" that the Event happened is the image of the census page.

and then link family record and individual records to the single event? In which case how do I use citations?

How do others link single census pages to individuals/families? Is there a preferred way to do this?

Here's how I do it:
Source: 1891 England Census
Citation: Whitton, Whitton, Durham / Page 4 / No. 16  - Reference RG12/4054
Event: Birth - Pearce, Maria S
Event: Census
    Date: 1891
    Person: Bakewell, William; Pearce, Maria S; Bakewell, Maria; Pearce, Mary
Event: Baptism - Bakewell, William
Event: etc
Event: etc
Event: etc

Clear as mud?

Re: Recommended way to document / link to census images

Welcome Ritchie

As you have probably learned, there is no one way to do things within
Gramps. We each find what works best for ourselves.  This is the way I
do it. Others with offer other options.

I too haver the Source as "England: 1861 Census"  Similar sources for
the other states. I attach the image to the citation with the details
of where and the details of the District/Page in the citation's
Volume/Page field. Where the 1861 census only has a family number,
this gets added to the citation. Then I share the event with all
family members.

If the image numbers each individual, I give each person in the census
(U.S. census after 1850) their own event and citation where I put the
individual's line number and not the family number in the citation.
The floating Clipboard makes this an easy task.

And just to be clear, I do not use the Forms gramplet which others
will shear by.

HTH, Dave

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Ritchie Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list but have been dabbling with Gramps for a while.
> I have some jpg images of census pages. what is the recommended way to link them in GRAMPS.
> I have set up FREECEN (https://www.freecen.org.uk) as a repository and created a source called "1891 Census".
> I have some individuals all nicely linked as a family.
>
> Do I link to the image file in the media section then attach the media to a citation and then associate the citation to a family event or an individual event?
> Should I create a single event called "1891 Census" and then link family record and individual records to the single event? In which case how do I use citations?
>
> How do others link single census pages to individuals/families? Is there a preferred way to do this?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Ritchie

Re: Recommended way to document / link to census images

Ritchie Fraser
cheers to all of you for speedy replies. I shall try all suggestions tomorrow and see what fills my needs.
Ritchie