Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Richard Nairn

I’m running across a few people with dit surnames and I’m wondering how people record it.

Looking at the usage it appears like it is an official alias. For example I have an ancestor with the name of Francois Leroux dit Cardinal.

Should I put the full last name as the name, or the dit Cardinal as a suffix, or as an alternate name Usage suggests that Leroux and Cardinal could be used interchangeably…

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 00:53:59 -0600
"Richard Nairn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Looking at the usage it appears like it is an official alias. For
>example I have an ancestor with the name of Francois Leroux dit
>Cardinal.

Official or not (IDK, and it may not even matter) best translation,
based on usage, seems to be 'alias' or 'also known as'.

--
 Regards  _
White people going to school, where they teach you to be thick

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Tom Hughes
On 31/03/2019 07:53, Richard Nairn wrote:

> I’m running across a few people with dit surnames and I’m wondering how
> people record it.
>
> Looking at the usage it appears like it is an official alias. For
> example I have an ancestor with the name of Francois Leroux dit Cardinal.
>
> Should I put the full last name as the name, or the dit Cardinal as a
> suffix, or as an alternate name… Usage suggests that Leroux and Cardinal
> could be used interchangeably…

As I understand they're really just alternate names so I would add them
as such - which one to make the primary is really up to you. I tend to
use the birth name unless it was quickly abandoned. Some resources on
the question of "dit" names in particular:

   https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/q/151/45
   http://www.afgs.org/ditnames/index1.html

It seems the primary purpose was to make names more unique ans act as
distinguishers between otherwise duplicate or similar names.

YTm

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Hi Richard

With what Brad and Tom suggest as to what the name means, and I assume
that the surname eventually became Cardinal, here are some options to
record and display the name.

1. Keep "Leroux dit Cardinal" as the surname
2  move the "dit Cardinal" to the suffix
3  create a second surname with "dit" as the Prefix and "Cardinal" as surname
4  create an alternate name entry.

Options 1-3 have the advantage of being passed down into the next
generation until the eventual permanent switch. I think option 3 would
be more elegant.

Just my thoughts, Dave

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 8:39 AM Richard Nairn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m running across a few people with dit surnames and I’m wondering how people record it.
>

> Looking at the usage it appears like it is an official alias. For example I have an ancestor with the name of Francois Leroux dit Cardinal.
>
> Should I put the full last name as the name, or the dit Cardinal as a suffix, or as an alternate name… Usage suggests that Leroux and Cardinal could be used interchangeably…

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Gary Bussiere
I have a few of those also. The way I handle it would be Given name
(Francois), Surname (Leroux) as Birth Name.

Create an alternate name with Given name (Francois), Suffix (dit
Cardinal) and Surname (Leroux) as Also Known As.

May not be the right way but I tend to use the dit names as the
Preferred name and it will show as (Leroux, Francois dit Cardinal) on
the screen and in reports. May not be the proper use of the Suffix Field
but works for me.

Gary

On 3/31/19 2:53 AM, Richard Nairn wrote:

> I’m running across a few people with dit surnames and I’m wondering how
> people record it.
>
> Looking at the usage it appears like it is an official alias. For
> example I have an ancestor with the name of Francois Leroux dit Cardinal.
>
> Should I put the full last name as the name, or the dit Cardinal as a
> suffix, or as an alternate name… Usage suggests that Leroux and Cardinal
> could be used interchangeably…

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Patrice Legoux
Hi,

I'm new on this mailing list/forum. I use Gramps for two years now. I'm also
french ;-)

About "dit" names they are nicknames used in little towns with a lot of same
lastname owners to differentiate them each other. Often "dit" name is the
place where the people leave or it's job name, it may be a physical
character (i.e. le grand --> the big, etc.). Your Cardinal may have a
cardinal in it's family.

On french Gramps version into name editor, label for Nickname field is
"Nom-dit":
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/File:Name_editor-42-fr.png

You can use that field to your "dit" names whithout entering "dit" in it.

Hope this help.

Patrice

Re: Recording French-Canadian Surnames with "dit"

Dave Scheipers
Thanks Patrice.

The field in English is the "Family Nick Name" field.

I always thought it was for a person's nickname used by the immediate
family until I added a new child for someone I had filled in the
field. The new child also got the nickname. Now the field makes sense.

Dave