Recording URL's of Source Citations.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

I was wondering is there a way to record URL's of Source Citations without
having to duplicate portions of the Source or the Citations?

To date I've recorded details, such as Archive, Record Type (birth,
marriage, etc.), Table Type (decadal or annual) or Register, Volume No.,
Folio No., Certificate No. as well as the relevant URL under the 'Internet'
tab of the person dialog (People -> Add or Edit). In addition I have
recorded the Register Year, Volume No., Folio No., Certificate No. and
registration date under the Source Citations tab of the person dialog
(People -> Add or Edit), but in a way this seems to be a duplication of
quite a bit of the information.

Does anybody have any suggestions (aside from not recording the information
: ) that would have the same result yet avoid duplication of (some of) the
information?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Philip Weiss
I put all that information in the "Page" field of a citation, or in a "Citation" note attached to a citation.  When I have a URL for something, I'll add the following to the end of the "Page" field, after the information you've described above:

I always put the date there because URLs often go out of service, and I want to know how long ago it was correct.  I also almost always attach a screenshot to the citation in these cases, so I have the information as originally presented.

Phil.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

For most citations, I'll open a note and put the URL there. It opens with the default Type Citation. Sometime, especially in FamilySearch, there may be more than one link with the same source and the same basic info. I'll add more than one URL in it's own note to the same citation. I just put the URL in the note and do not duplicate any other information ala what FamilySearch and Ancestry offer up as the citation text. All that other info gets parsed out to the other components of the Source and citation lines.

If the URL is the citation, I'll put it in the Vol/Page line. I've had a few relatives with Wikipedia pages, but also at BillionGraves.com. I even had one at IMBd.

This topic arose last year and I remember someone else said they add an attribute to the citation to store the URL. I like the note route best because if you open the note, right click on the URL, it will open in your browser.

Hope this helps. Dave

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1

Sometimes a URL is the actual citation (and then it goes in the Page field), but usually it's just a copy (where the index data goes in the Page field and the URL -- which isn't the actual citation -- is truly just a Citation note).

Regarding this particular FS link, why??  The original link is there on the page for you to follow.  That is your citation.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For those wondering, that URL goes to a FamilySearch database entry that refers to a Find a Grave entry.  Ron is entirely correct that I would not cite FamilySearch in that case.  I just did a quick search on my great great grandfather to get something I could use as an example.

As a side note, I never use Find a Grave as a source for events, names, or relationships at all.  I create sources for cemetery grave markers, such as "Alberta, Cypress County, Congregational Matthaus Cemetery grave markers".  Then I'll have a citation for "marker for John Lindemann" for that source.  I'll attach an image of the grave marker(s) to that citation.  And that image then gets a citation that references a Find A Grave entry, if indeed it came from there.  Basically, I use Find a Grave only for the images.  I don't trust the information people put into the rest of it, just like I don't trust trees that people put online.

Phil.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:03:13 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I was wondering is there a way to record URL's of Source Citations
>without having to duplicate portions of the Source or the Citations?

The way I do it, using a baptism as an example;

Event, Baptism; has the date and place, plus person's name in description
field.

Baptism, Source Citation; has the Volume page and entry no. for the
relevant Register, with the Source as the Baptism register of the church.
Baptism date gets entered in the date field.  Repository is the place
where the PR is held - usually a record Office somewhere.

Citation, Gallery (this is NOT the Baptism, Gallery); an image of the PR
page downloaded from Ancestry, FMP or whoever.

Gallery (Shared Information), Citation; url of the page the image came
from and the date it was d/l'd in the date field.  Source set to
whichever web site I got the image from.  Additionally, it is possible
to highlight the section on the page that you're interested in.

So, it goes:
 Event; Source Citation -> Image; Source Citation.
Thus, the PR reference and url each only get used once.

--
 Regards  _
I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

John W. Kitz-3

Philip,

I like your idea of recording the date on which the information was accessed for exactly the reason that you mention. I'm not sure about using the page field. For one it would make me lose the ease of the 'Jump To' function. Also it looks like I would run out off space, but some may say that I'm overdoing it a bit in the area of source citations... if there is sufficient space it would probably be a bit confusing to look at and use. Mmm, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond, as well as for your suggestion.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Philip Weiss

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Philip,

I like your idea of recording the date on which the information was accessed for exactly the reason that you mention. I'm not sure about using the page field. For one it would make me lose the ease of the 'Jump To' function. Also it looks like I would run out off space (see the attached examples pertaining to the same entry), but some may say that I'm overdoing it a bit... if there is sufficient space it would probably be a bit confusing to look at and use. Mmm, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond, as well as for your suggestion.

Regards, Jk.

I agree with both those drawbacks.  It doesn't print or display well, and it's not super-easy to jump to the URL.  I wish citations had both a URL and an accessdate field.  Basically, I saw three options:

  • Add them to the page field.
    • Pro: top level field, fewer clicks to get at.  Prints out whenever I print the citation.
    • Con: *long* page field content, doesn't display well all the time. Not easy to jump to the URL.
  • Add them to a note
    • Pro: Nicer Jump To. Formats in UI more nicely.
    • Con: More clicks to get to it. Support for printing notes varies among plugins and reports.
  • Add attributes
    • Pro: One attribute field for each data item. Can access programatically, were I inclined to write code.
    • Con: PITA to access and edit (way more clicks). Almost no support for printing or display.
As it turns out, I don't need to jump to the URLs that often.  Just when I'm re-assessing the evidence I have for something.  So the pros of the first option really outweighed the cons for my own use patterns.  As always, I don't want to be prescriptive.  Whatever works for people.

Phil.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:04:05 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I like your idea of recording the date on which the information was
>accessed for exactly the reason that you mention. I'm not sure about
>using the page field. For one it would make me lose the ease of the
>'Jump To' function. Also it looks like I would run out off space, but

'Jump to' can be faked by select/copy of the string in the page field
then pasting into the url bar of your browser.  Not as elegant, I agree,
but avoids the need of opening yet another pane in Gramps and clicking
several times to get to the correct place.  Possibly just as much mouse
work, though.

As for space; what you can see doesn't actually matter - the volume/page
string can be much longer than the viewable section, it doesn't get
truncated.  Also, 99.99% of such urls aren't human understandable, so it
doesn't really matter that you can't see it all, IMO.

>some may say that I'm overdoing it a bit in the area of source
>citations... if there is sufficient space it would probably be a bit

You can't have too many sources/citations.  Without them, nobody can
retrace your work, and that's important.  Sooner or later, you're going
to need that info.

>confusing to look at and use. Mmm, decisions, decisions...

As with almost everything genealogical, there is no "one true way",
unfortunately.

--
 Regards  _
But they didn't tell him the first two didn't count

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:14:42 -0800
Philip Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Philip,

>I agree with both those drawbacks.  It doesn't print or display well,
>and

I agree, it doesn't print well.  My source/citation model isn't for
that.  Anything I want easily viewable, printable, or whatever, gets
copied to the highest level.  That means most media objects (grave
stones, buildings, some paperwork scans, etc.) get put in the relevant
person's Gallery as well as the source/citation gallery.

--
 Regards  _
I'm surfing on a wave of nostalgia for an age yet to come

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

John W. Kitz-3
Brad (and others who've responded),

On 2017-02-15 23:51, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:03:13 +0100
> "John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello John,
>
>> I was wondering is there a way to record URL's of Source Citations
>> without having to duplicate portions of the Source or the Citations?
>
> The way I do it, using a baptism as an example;
>
> Event, Baptism; has the date and place, plus person's name in
> description
> field.
>
> Baptism, Source Citation; has the Volume page and entry no. for the
> relevant Register, with the Source as the Baptism register of the
> church.
> Baptism date gets entered in the date field.  Repository is the place
> where the PR is held - usually a record Office somewhere.

Having had a look at it I tend to prefer your way of doing it (as
described above) over what I've been doing so far, since it makes more
sense to me to tie the source citation to the event, which in turn ties
it to the person, rather than linking a bunch of source citations (for
birth, marriage, death, travel, emigration, immigration and so on) to an
individual.

Since to date I had recorded only births I probably hadn't noticed that
this is a better way of doing it. In fact doing it this way resembles
what one can do with 'enclosed by' in 'Places'. In addition on some of
the reports it links the appropriate end note to the event rather than a
slew of end notes to an individual. In short; for the time being you
convinced me on this one, thanks. I'm going to rework what I did to
date.

There is one minor difference, between what you described and what I've
been doing. Changing to your way of doing it fortunately isn't going to
affect that, since reworking what I did is a matter of attaching the
existing source citation to an event and detaching it from a person,
which doesn't affect the citation.

With regards to the citation itself, IMHO each event has two dates that
may need to be recorded (to the extent that each is available) rather
than one; i.e. the date on which the actual event, e.g. a birth,
marriage, etc., took place and the date on which it was recorded in some
register. To take a birth as an example I have put the actual date on
which the birth occurred in the date field of the event and the date on
which the birth was jotted down in some birth register, which in some
cases may be several days or more later, in the date field of the source
citation.

> Citation, Gallery (this is NOT the Baptism, Gallery); an image of the
> PR
> page downloaded from Ancestry, FMP or whoever.

As far as I'm concerned incorporating media, such as images, pdfs, etc.,
are of a later concern. For the time being I only download and store
them. At some later point in time I intend to figure out how to best fit
those in.

> Gallery (Shared Information), Citation; url of the page the image came
> from and the date it was d/l'd in the date field.  Source set to
> whichever web site I got the image from.  Additionally, it is possible
> to highlight the section on the page that you're interested in.
>
> So, it goes:
>  Event; Source Citation -> Image; Source Citation.
> Thus, the PR reference and url each only get used once.

That pretty much seems to leave the URL's.

Not being able to use the 'Jump to' option in any of the suggestions you
guys sent me is a bit of a bummer as far as I'm concerned. I really
liked that possibility. As mentioned I like Phil's suggestion to record
some date indicative of the date on which I accessed some URL in
addition to the URL itself.

All considering, I wonder is there a need for some additional lower
level at which one could record those (i.e. the URL and some associated
information) and then use a way or working similar to what one can do
with 'enclosed by' for places? I.e. one or more URL's are enclosed by a
Repository?

On 2017-02-16 07:30, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:04:05 +0100
> "John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello John,
>
>> I like your idea of recording the date on which the information was
>> accessed for exactly the reason that you mention. I'm not sure about
>> using the page field. For one it would make me lose the ease of the
>> 'Jump To' function. Also it looks like I would run out off space, but
>
> 'Jump to' can be faked by select/copy of the string in the page field
> then pasting into the url bar of your browser.  Not as elegant, I
> agree,
> but avoids the need of opening yet another pane in Gramps and clicking
> several times to get to the correct place.  Possibly just as much mouse
> work, though.
>
> As for space; what you can see doesn't actually matter - the
> volume/page
> string can be much longer than the viewable section, it doesn't get
> truncated.  Also, 99.99% of such urls aren't human understandable, so
> it
> doesn't really matter that you can't see it all, IMO.

I was aware of that. Actually, since a picture often times says more
than..., I had attached a couple of examples to one of my first replies
to some of the responses I got to my initial post, but they were to big
for them to be forwarded to the list without approval from the list's
moderator, so I cancelled that email and resent it without the examples
attached.

If it would be useful to you I can send the examples to you directly,
just let me know.

>> some may say that I'm overdoing it a bit in the area of source
>> citations... if there is sufficient space it would probably be a bit
>
> You can't have too many sources/citations.  Without them, nobody can
> retrace your work, and that's important.  Sooner or later, you're going
> to need that info.
>
>> confusing to look at and use. Mmm, decisions, decisions...
>
> As with almost everything genealogical, there is no "one true way",
> unfortunately.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:17:04 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>this is a better way of doing it. In fact doing it this way resembles
>what one can do with 'enclosed by' in 'Places'. In addition on some of

Where'd you think I got the idea?  :-)

>With regards to the citation itself, IMHO each event has two dates that
>may need to be recorded (to the extent that each is available) rather
>than one; i.e. the date on which the actual event, e.g. a birth,

I agree.  It wasn't clear from the way I worked through my example, but
I record the DoB (death, baptism, etc.) in the event itself and the
citation gets the date of informing the relevant authority.  For
marriages and baptisms, that's usually the same date as the event
itself.  For births and deaths, it's usually a different date, but both
dates are available from the certificate.

So, I can end up with three different dates:  One for the event, one for
when the Registrar (or whoever) was informed, and a third for when I
actually recorded all the information.

As an aside, I find it galling to have to use dates like "after....."
for a burial (for example), because information has been acquired from
somewhere like Find A Grave[1], where burial dates may not be recorded.
It makes the research, and therefore the conclusions, seem to be less
than rigorous.

[1]  I stress that this is NOT a failing of the web site - it's merely a
function of the fact that burial dates aren't readily available to the
volunteers that do all the leg work:  Thanks be to them all.

--
 Regards  _
The public gets what the public wants

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Peter Merchant
On 16/02/17 10:17, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Brad (and others who've responded),

> As far as I'm concerned incorporating media, such as images, pdfs, etc.,
> are of a later concern. For the time being I only download and store
> them. At some later point in time I intend to figure out how to best fit
> those in.
>
>> Gallery (Shared Information), Citation; url of the page the image came
>> from and the date it was d/l'd in the date field.  Source set to
>> whichever web site I got the image from.  Additionally, it is possible
>> to highlight the section on the page that you're interested in.
>>
>> So, it goes:
>>   Event; Source Citation -> Image; Source Citation.
>> Thus, the PR reference and url each only get used once.
> That pretty much seems to leave the URL's.
>
> Not being able to use the 'Jump to' option in any of the suggestions you
> guys sent me is a bit of a bummer as far as I'm concerned. I really
> liked that possibility. As mentioned I like Phil's suggestion to record
> some date indicative of the date on which I accessed some URL in
> addition to the URL itself.
>
> All considering, I wonder is there a need for some additional lower
> level at which one could record those (i.e. the URL and some associated
> information) and then use a way or working similar to what one can do
> with 'enclosed by' for places? I.e. one or more URL's are enclosed by a
> Repository?
>
> Regards, Jk.

What I would like is a hyperlink to the item that I have downloaded, be
it jpg or pdf, within my own storage method. I always download, or take
screenshots of information that I find on the basis that nothing is
guaranteed to be there tomorrow on the Internet.

Ideally I would like this hyperlink to be as close to the person as
possible, not down an event, a source and a citation.

I realise that this would not export well in Gedcoms, as I have seen it
in ones that I have received, but that's another concern.

Peter Merchant

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:31:17 +0000
Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>Ideally I would like this hyperlink to be as close to the person as
>possible, not down an event, a source and a citation.

Add it to a (Person) Note;  Anything that looks like a hyperlink gets
treated as such by Notes.

--
 Regards  _
The public wants what the public gets

On 16/02/17 12:01, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:31:17 +0000
Peter Merchant [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Peter,

Ideally I would like this hyperlink to be as close to the person as
possible, not down an event, a source and a citation.
Add it to a (Person) Note;  Anything that looks like a hyperlink gets
treated as such by Notes.

Cheers, Thanks Brad.
P.

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

On 02/16/2017 04:56 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
[snip]
> As an aside, I find it galling to have to use dates like "after....."
> for a burial

Leave the date blank?

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:12:44 +0000
Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

> Cheers, Thanks Brad.

You're welcome, Peter.

--
 Regards  _
Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 08:39:16 -0600
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>Leave the date blank?

I could, but I like that even less.

It's one I'm never going to win.  I just have to live with it.

--
 Regards  _
You said you ain't had none for weeks, but baby I seen your arms

Re: Recording URL's of Source Citations.

John W. Kitz-3
Peter,

On 2017-02-16 12:31, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 16/02/17 10:17, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Brad (and others who've responded),

>> As far as I'm concerned incorporating media, such as images, pdfs,
>> etc.,
>> are of a later concern. For the time being I only download and store
>> them. At some later point in time I intend to figure out how to best
>> fit
>> those in.
>>
>>> Gallery (Shared Information), Citation; url of the page the image
>>> came
>>> from and the date it was d/l'd in the date field.  Source set to
>>> whichever web site I got the image from.  Additionally, it is
>>> possible
>>> to highlight the section on the page that you're interested in.
>>>
>>> So, it goes:
>>>   Event; Source Citation -> Image; Source Citation.
>>> Thus, the PR reference and url each only get used once.
>> That pretty much seems to leave the URL's.
>>
>> Not being able to use the 'Jump to' option in any of the suggestions
>> you
>> guys sent me is a bit of a bummer as far as I'm concerned. I really
>> liked that possibility. As mentioned I like Phil's suggestion to
>> record
>> some date indicative of the date on which I accessed some URL in
>> addition to the URL itself.
>>
>> All considering, I wonder is there a need for some additional lower
>> level at which one could record those (i.e. the URL and some
>> associated
>> information) and then use a way or working similar to what one can do
>> with 'enclosed by' for places? I.e. one or more URL's are enclosed by
>> Repository?
>>
>> Regards, Jk.
>>
> What I would like is a hyperlink to the item that I have downloaded, be
> it jpg or pdf, within my own storage method. I always download, or take
> screenshots of information that I find on the basis that nothing is
> guaranteed to be there tomorrow on the Internet.

AFAIK something of the form
"file:///<drive-letter>:\path\to\files\screenshot-of-birth-certificate.jpg"
ought to meet your requirements. In which '%20' should be used instead
of a space. See e.g. [1] for details.

> Ideally I would like this hyperlink to be as close to the person as
> possible, not down an event, a source and a citation.
>
> I realise that this would not export well in Gedcoms, as I have seen it
> in ones that I have received, but that's another concern.
>
> Peter Merchant

Regards, Jk.

[1] https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2006/12/06/file-uris-in-windows/