Quantcast

Recording Witnesses to an Event

Dave Hamilton

Hi

I want to have a consistent method to record witnesses to an event when, AS YET, I don’t have too much information about them.

For example, I have a Thorwald Petersen as a witness to my GG Mother’s second marriage. Elsewhere I have a newspaper article concerning the death of Anders Petersen at the residence of his daughter (again my GG Mother). While I don’t have any definite data I don’t want to lose the connection. This is a problem with the Norwegian naming conventions using Christian names from one generation as Surnames in the next. However, the situation also occurs where a sister is a witness but is shown under her married name when I don’t know the details of the sister or her own marriage.

I know I can record ‘Witness’ as an attribute to an event but the value is held as text and not really usable in that form.

Should I create a Person entry with an event having a user-defined type of Witness all linked back to the original source? I can then record my speculations and theories as notes for the witness. Or is there some better way?

TIA

Re: Recording Witnesses to an Event

paul womack
Dave Hamilton wrote:> Hi

 > I want to have a consistent method to record witnesses to an event when, AS YET, I don’t have too much information about them.
 >
 > For example, I have a Thorwald Petersen as a witness to my GG Mother’s second marriage. Elsewhere I have a newspaper article concerning the death of Anders Petersen at the residence of his daughter (again my GG Mother). While I don’t have any definite data I don’t want to lose the connection. This is a problem with the Norwegian naming conventions using Christian names from one generation as Surnames in the next. However, the situation also occurs where a sister is a witness but is shown under
 > her married name when I don’t know the details of the sister or her own marriage.
 >
 > I know I can record ‘Witness’ as an attribute to an event but the value is held as text and not really usable in that form.
 >
 > Should I create a Person entry with an event having a user-defined type of Witness all linked back to the original source? I can then record my speculations and theories as notes for the witness. Or is there some better way?

An Event can be shared with more than one Person, and each person
can have a role. "Witness" is a pre-defined role.

Thus, a Marriage is normally a Family Event, but if you put the Marriage
Event on the clip board, and drag it to the Person Entry you have created
for Thorwald Petersen, the top of the dialog has a role drop-down.

Change this to Witness, and your record is perfectly recorded.

With regard to the name, I often first encounter females as "the wife of a male".
But gramps can handle this easily. When you create a name, there's a drop down for the
type of the name, and this can be set to "Married Name". Later when (or if)
you discover her Birth Name, you can add a new Name.

  BugBear

Re: Recording Witnesses to an Event

Dave Hamilton
Many thanks Paul, that is exactly the sort of help I was after.

Dave