Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Martnal
This post was updated on .
I have just found a 3rd cousin via a 92 centiMorgan DNA match.  She and I
strongly seem to be descended from the same great great grandparent, 'F'.
This man is extremely highly likely to be the father of my great
grandmother, Jane.  The birth was a couple of years before Jane's mother,
Anne, married Edwin, the man who brought Jane up, who I had assumed to be
the father.

'F' and Anne were both in the same village just before the birth.

How should I record this?  Do I create a Family of Jane and 'F' and add the
child, then show Anne and Edwin adopting Jane??  What is the event type for the probably brief liaison?  I have no evidence an official adoption took place.

Jane was recorded on all censuses under her mother's maiden name.

I have no evidence that Anne and 'F' ever lived together as a family.
Whether Edwin ever knew the child wasn't his, I don't know, as I don't know
when Anne and Edwin started 'seeing each other'.

This DNA revelation puts an end to 2-3 years of dead-end mystery!  How do I cite the DNA aspect?

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:38:45 -0500 (CDT)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>How should I record this?  Do I create a Family of Jane and 'F' and add
>the child, then show Anne and Edwin adopting Jane??

That's what I'd do.

> I have no evidence an official adoption took place.

You never will - adoption, as a legal process, didn't commence until
1921.  Prior to that date any arrangement was unofficial (in the sense
that there was no legal framework to deal with the process) and
therefore, most likely, unrecorded anywhere.

--
 Regards  _
A friend of a friend he got beaten

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Philip Weiss

On May 17 2019, at 8:38 am, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have just found a 3rd cousin via a 92 centiMorgan DNA match. She and I
strongly seem to be descended from the same great great grandparent, 'F'.
This man is extremely highly likely to be the father of my great
grandmother, Jane. The birth was a couple of years before Jane's mother,
Anne, married Edwin, the man who brought Jane up, who I had assumed to be
the father.

'F' and Anne were both in the same village just before the birth.

How should I record this? Do I create a Family of Jane and 'F' and add the
child, then show Anne and Edwin adopting Jane?? I have no evidence an
official adoption took place.

I would create two families.  Anne and F with relationship type "unmarried" or "unknown".  Then add Jane as a child with relationship to parents being "Birth".  And a second family with Anne and Edwin, relationship type "married" (I'm guessing you already have this).  Add Jane as a child with relationship to parents being "adopted" "step" "foster" or "unknown" depending on whether you care if the type "adopted" be used only for legal adoptions.

In the US at least, legal adoptions were relatively rare until the 1900s.  I've got a couple of cases and I use the relationship type "adopted" anyway.

Jane was recorded on all censuses under her mother's maiden name.

Since Jane used her mother's maiden name, I would probably use the "step" relationship to parent Edwin if I were doing it.

I have no evidence that Anne and 'F' ever lived together as a family.
Whether Edwin ever knew the child wasn't his, I don't know, as I don't know
when Anne and Edwin started 'seeing each other'.

This DNA revelation puts an end to 2-3 years of dead end mystery!

Martin

Sounds like a genealogical success story!

Phil.

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Malcolm Austen
On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:18:44 +0100, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You never will - adoption, as a legal process, didn't commence until
> 1921.

I understand this discussion is about the UK, so it was actually 1927
rather than 1921. The 1926 Act strictly applied to England and Wales so I
can't be certain about Scotland or Northern Ireland except that they would
have followed rather than gone ahead.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <[hidden email]>

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 17 May 2019 18:26:00 +0100
"Malcolm Austen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Malcolm,

>I understand this discussion is about the UK, so it was actually 1927

Of course it was.  Dunno why I thought '21.  Thanks for the correction.

--
 Regards  _
Words as weapons sharper than knives

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

John Paton
"The Adoption of Children (Scotland) Act, 1930 introduced legal adoption
in Scotland from that year." quoted from National Records of Scotland
(NRS) website.

John

On 17/05/2019 18:26, Malcolm Austen wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:18:44 +0100, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> You never will - adoption, as a legal process, didn't commence until
>> 1921.
>
> I understand this discussion is about the UK, so it was actually 1927
> rather than 1921. The 1926 Act strictly applied to England and Wales so I
> can't be certain about Scotland or Northern Ireland except that they
> would
> have followed rather than gone ahead.
>
> Malcolm.

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Martnal
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Brad, I couldn't open the attachment.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 20 May 2019 04:16:57 -0500 (CDT)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>Brad, I couldn't open the attachment.

It's a PGP signature.

--
 Regards  _
I'm sure she stole all of my pencil lead in school

Re: Recording a relationship/birth confirmed by DNA

You should be able to open it with Notepad.