Quantcast

Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Jamms
I'm having a problem generating the Web "Narrated Web Site" pages.
Only 66 of the 130 individuals are included in the resulting html pages.
Oddly, my name + my father and my mother's records (record I001-I003)
are among those excluded.  (My brother is included but the html
indicates no parents.)

(I've tried to make sure that none of the records are marked "private",
that the correct # of generations is selected, and that "entire database" is
selected.  Nothing I can think of or find prevents any of the records
from being
included in the results.)

If I generate a separate text report and also a "summary report" for all
individuals,
all 130 individuals are included.  Creating a .ged file also includes
all 130.  Running a 3rd
party .ged to html utility produces all 130 and correctly links all
relationships.
It omits all media link and in other respects is not as nice as the
Gramps-produced web
pages would be if I could entice it to generate html pages for everyone
in the database.

I would prefer not to completely delete all the missing records (for one
thing it will
not be all that easy to identify exactly who's missing besides records
1-3.  Also
records 1-3 contain much more data than any of the other records. (They're
people I know the most about.)

I've run the "repair" utilities several times and they report that all
is well and in order.

Are there any settings I have not mentioned above that might be causing
the problem?
... Is there a way to examine (and perhaps change) the .db file(s) ?
(If not, is there a
way to export as .csv (or similar) file, then manually edit and import
into Gramps?

I'm using Gramps v3.4.2-1 on Windows 8.

Thanks very much.

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

diannereuby
Is this where gramps (like all programs) has hidden living or recently deceased people, either by not showing them or showing them as [Living]? I think the default is to hide anyone who died less than 30 years ago, though this can be changed when you create the output I think.

Dianne

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Jamms
Dianne,  Thanks for your reply.
No, I'm almost certain that cannot be the problem because the html files
contain individuals who died less than 30 years ago and also omit
individuals who died many more years ago than 30.

I just converted to csv and there are only 78 individuals of the 130,
listed alphabetically.  Some of the individuals that appear in the html
pages are missing from the csv file and other individuals who are
missing in the html pages are included in the csv list. Something is
really screwy.

On 6/30/2013 10:10 AM, dianne reuby wrote:
> Is this where gramps (like all programs) has hidden living or recently
> deceased people, either by not showing them or showing them as
> [Living]? I think the default is to hide anyone who died less than 30
> years ago, though this can be changed when you create the output I think.
>
> Dianne

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Certainly sounds odd. You seem to have tried most of the parameters I could suggest.

The only thing I can think is that the database is corrupted in some really peculiar way, though if you have tried repair, than may not be the case. It could be that you need to repair the reference maps or secondary indices, but if the database is somehow corrupted maybe you shouldn't trust it even if that fixes your immediate problem.

I suggest you export your Family Tree to Gramps XML (family tree) format, create a new tree, and import the Gramps XML to that. See whether that makes any difference. Try to check that each of the views (events, people, sources etc.) still contain all your data. Keep the old Family Tree somewhere safe in case you later discover something missing.

Regards,
Tim.

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Jamms
Thanks, Tim.
Yes, somehow the database file(s) became corrupted.  I've imported the
.ged file that Gramps created with all 130 individuals and that appears
to have worked.  The newly created "narrated web" html pages contain
many - I think. all - the missing entries.    I need to double check,
but things are looking up.

On 6/30/2013 2:16 PM, Tim Lyons wrote:

> Certainly sounds odd. You seem to have tried most of the parameters I could
> suggest.
>
> The only thing I can think is that the database is corrupted in some really
> peculiar way, though if you have tried repair, than may not be the case. It
> could be that you need to repair the reference maps or secondary indices,
> but if the database is somehow corrupted maybe you shouldn't trust it even
> if that fixes your immediate problem.
>
> I suggest you export your Family Tree to Gramps XML (family tree) format,
> create a new tree, and import the Gramps XML to that. See whether that makes
> any difference. Try to check that each of the views (events, people, sources
> etc.) still contain all your data. Keep the old Family Tree somewhere safe
> in case you later discover something missing.
>
> Regards,
> Tim.

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Tim Lyons
Administrator
No, no, no! Not the .ged file! The .ged file does not necessarily contain all the information that you have input into your Family Tree. (GEDCOM export can loose information, because Gramps records some information that cannot be represented in the standard GEDCOM format).

You need to export a Gramps XML file, which is assured to contain all the information, and then import that.

Regards,
Tim.

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Jamms
Generally I make backups of everything.  Fortunately, I had just started
using
Gramps and hadn't entered much new data.  And, I assumed, perhaps
erroneously,
that exporting to XML would omit approximately the same number of
entries as
the export to .csv.   (I zapped the old tree and so cannot test the
assumption.)

On 7/1/2013 5:08 AM, Tim Lyons wrote:

> No, no, no! Not the .ged file! The .ged file does not necessarily contain all
> the information that you have input into your Family Tree. (GEDCOM export
> can loose information, because Gramps records some information that cannot
> be represented in the standard GEDCOM format).
>
> You need to export a Gramps XML file, which is assured to contain all the
> information, and then import that.
>
> Regards,
> Tim.

Re: Records omitted in Narrated Web Site output

Benny Malengier

2013/7/1 Jamms <[hidden email]>
Generally I make backups of everything.  Fortunately, I had just started
using
Gramps and hadn't entered much new data.  And, I assumed, perhaps
erroneously,
that exporting to XML would omit approximately the same number of
entries as
the export to .csv.   (I zapped the old tree and so cannot test the
assumption.)

Export to xml follows the database tables, so that is normally save. When using the information, we also need the links between objects. These are generated on import, and can due to crashes become corrupt. The tools in the database repair section can fix this.

So, a gedcom from prog A in Gramps, can create all objects, but can mess up the links due to mall formed gedcom or gedcom constructs not understood by Gramps.
As you export to gedcom from Gramps, Gramps can understand that gedcom without problems, and all links should be present after import of that ged.

If you have your original gedcom present, it would be good to test import in an empty family tree of that again, and then if there are errors, you will see in the bottom left corner of gramps for 30 sec or so a red icon. clicking on that will give you overview of problems encountered. Always important to go over that when moving from prog A to Gramps.

Benny