Records report - wrong oldest person?

Chris Wood
I've noticed in the Records report that the oldest living person in my database (who has no death event) is reported as someone who is 149 years old. My "maximum age probably alive" setting is 99 years. If I reduce this setting to 90 years, then the oldest living person is correspondingly reduced to someone who is around 140 years old, and so on. It behaves as if "max age probably alive" is getting 50 years added to it. My about, after and  before date ranges are all set to the default of 50. Coincidence, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'm using Gramps 5.1.2

Chris

Re: Records report - wrong oldest person?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Chris

What is their birth record? I bet it is "about ....".

Any time "about", "before", or "after" are used, the date ranges set in the Preferences' Date tab come into play. So when calculating ages, the number of years set in preferences gets added (or subtracted) from the expected age based upon the year in the event. The other area where these date ranges become evident are in filters.where one of the adjectives will cause a date to return as true.

The number of years set in the Preferences' Date tab give a meaning to "About", "Before", and "After".

HTH Dave

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:35 AM Chris Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed in the Records report that the oldest living person in my database (who has no death event) is reported as someone who is 149 years old. My "maximum age probably alive" setting is 99 years. If I reduce this setting to 90 years, then the oldest living person is correspondingly reduced to someone who is around 140 years old, and so on. It behaves as if "max age probably alive" is getting 50 years added to it. My about, after and  before date ranges are all set to the default of 50. Coincidence, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'm using Gramps 5.1.2

Chris

Re: Records report - wrong oldest person?

The method of determining 'probably alive' is quite complex.  It involves looking at birth and 'fallback' (baptism etc.), death and fallback (burial etc.) and gets worse if birth (or the fallbacks) is not present on the person.  In that case it devolves to examining parents and children etc. and applying other estimates to try to figure out a likely birth date.  For example a child's birth and 'average years between generations' might be used to establish a birth date.  Similar kinds of logic is used for the death date.

And if a death or fallback is present, but without a date, todays date is used (with the before date range mixed in).  This might be what is causing your issue.

Max age probably alive only seems to apply when one of the birth/death dates is completely indeterminate; no fallbacks or other methods of working it out are available.

To really analyze your question, would require seeing the data on the person, his various events, and potentially those of his families and their events.

Paul C.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 9:35 AM Chris Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed in the Records report that the oldest living person in my database (who has no death event) is reported as someone who is 149 years old. My "maximum age probably alive" setting is 99 years. If I reduce this setting to 90 years, then the oldest living person is correspondingly reduced to someone who is around 140 years old, and so on. It behaves as if "max age probably alive" is getting 50 years added to it. My about, after and  before date ranges are all set to the default of 50. Coincidence, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'm using Gramps 5.1.2

Chris

Re: Records report - wrong oldest person?

Chris Wood
You're right - the birth dates are "about". I did suspect that the reason was something like this, although it does look a bit weird that the report tells me the oldest living person is 149 when I've said anyone aged over 99 is dead!

To get around this, I temporarily set the "about" value to 1 to run the report.

The Report settings has a value "Years from death to consider living" which appears permanently disabled. Perhaps this is because it would just be duplicating the Gramps global value which does the same thing.

Chris

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 17:09, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The "Years from death to consider living" option becomes available when you select Living People >> Not Included. Since you selected to include living people, it has  no effect on a person's age.

Any entry for "Years from death to consider living" is a setting for the recently dead.

From the Help

Years from death to consider living: 0(default) - Whether to restrict data on recently dead people.