References ordering

Patrick Gerlier
Merry Christmas to all,

I use Narrative Web as a synthesis for my DB: a page displays an
aggregate from many records (e.g. a person page displays all note events
associated with this person and source references) without the need to
go through many records. This is very convenient to quickly check data
consistency.

When it comes to places or sources, I can't figure out how the
references are sorted. They are probably listed in the same order as in
Gramps, but there is no logical scheme, making it difficult to locate a
give reference.

For sources, I use to name my citations <event_type-year>, <place>,
<record_number-or-page_number>. I'd like them to be listed
for references to events associated with a place.

In Gramps, it is impossible to reorder or sort the references. I tried
dragging them, just as you can do to reorder children in a family, but
it did not work.

Is there a way to force references to be listed according to some user
pattern?

Regards,
Patrick

Re: References ordering

emma9158
Merry Christmas!

Which version of Gramps are you using? In ver 5.0x, the references indeed
showed up in a totally random order in at least the place pages. However, in
ver 5.1x you can now sort them in either cronological or alphabetical order.
Some days ago I however noticed that if you enclose places into other
places, the lists of "places enclosed" will still be randomized. I then made
a feature request about this here:
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11487.
I usually don't include any sources page in the Narrative Web, so if there
is a similar problem, I haven't noticed it.

Emma Marie

Re: References ordering

Patrick Gerlier
Hej Emma Marie,

Sorry to have failed to mention my Gramps version: 5.1.1

I assume you mention the possibility to click on one of the column
titles in the References tab: on click to sort ascending, another one to
sort descending. Unfortunately, this does not transfer to Narrative Web
and the entries in the HTML page are still in "anarchic" order.

In the Narrative Web creation dialog, there is a check box to sort place
references on date or name, but when checked part of information
disappears (namely dates, leaving only people names listed
alphabetically). If unchecked, references are sorted chronologically
with a little glitch: fuzzy dates about … are not interleaved with exact
or between dates but display after the exact dates. This is however not
an issue for me.

I found nothing for source references though I need to heavily work on
that, having discovered attribution errors. Sorting, these errors would
group at one end of list without the need to track them.

Patrick